Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

UBC Res

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:13 PM

Hey CDC how are you? I was just browsing around and was wondering if anyone else will be living on res come September.

I'll be up at Totem, in the new building " həm'ləsəm' " attending the Sauder School of Business.

Anyone here ever lived on campus at UBC? Any advice?

Thanks! Hope to see some of you up on campus.
MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#2 kazin!

kazin!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,170 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:15 PM

Totem is one of the best places to get laid. Enjoy your time there! Lots of cute (yet stuck up, meaning even more fun to game on) Asian girls in Sauder. Hell I'll just say it. There are tons of Asians everywhere.
Posted Image

#3 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,621 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:16 PM

You're in Sauder and you're going to be living in Totem? Let me just say that there is no way you are not going to enjoy your first year,.

#4 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:19 PM

TOTEM IS AWESOME

Best two years of my life.

#5 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:20 PM

You're in Sauder and you're going to be living in Totem? Let me just say that there is no way you are not going to enjoy your first year,.

I'm taking 5 courses each semester. I've heard people say that doing so is ridiculous. By looking at my schedule, I do not feel overwhelmed even the slightest. What would you say about it?
MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#6 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:22 PM

I'm taking 5 courses each semester. I've heard people say that doing so is ridiculous. By looking at my schedule, I do not feel overwhelmed even the slightest. What would you say about it?

5 courses is pretty standard. Study a bit each day (most people don't) and you'll be fine.

#7 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,621 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:23 PM

5 courses isn't bad. The only people that should be complaining about course loads are Engineers.

#8 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:25 PM

5 courses is pretty standard. Study a bit each day (most people don't) and you'll be fine.

Where in Totem did you stay? According to the facebook group, my building is co-ed, and the kids on my floor seem pretty chill.

I was up on campus the other day at the bookstore, to buy some software for my macbook, and got this picture of the res. It's pretty nice compared to the residence my friends will be in at SFU, uVic, even UoT!

Posted Image
MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#9 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:31 PM

I lived in Shu a few years back. I don't know if it is still the same, but all of the floors on my building were coed. Much better than being with a bunch of guys on the same floor. :P And yes, there are a lot of pretty cool and good looking young ladies in rez.

Edited by The Brahma Bull, 20 August 2012 - 11:31 PM.

#10 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:48 PM

I lived in Shu a few years back. I don't know if it is still the same, but all of the floors on my building were coed. Much better than being with a bunch of guys on the same floor. :P And yes, there are a lot of pretty cool and good looking young ladies in rez.

Haha, I'm not worried at all about the 'ladies' I just want to know if I'll still have a social life with a full course load.

Also, I got invited to join the Delta Phi fraternity. How is UBC's frat system? Any good?
MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#11 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:53 PM

Haha, I'm not worried at all about the 'ladies' I just want to know if I'll still have a social life with a full course load.

Also, I got invited to join the Delta Phi fraternity. How is UBC's frat system? Any good?

I wasn't part of the Greek system at UBC, but I've heard mixed things about it. On one hand, it will help you get connected to a ton of great leaders on campus (more often than not, those involved with campus initiatives are part of a frat/sorority); on the flip side, be wise about which party to attend in the Greek village. There's still happening there all the time, and it can be a drainer on your education if you're partying all the time

#12 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:00 AM

I wasn't part of the Greek system at UBC, but I've heard mixed things about it. On one hand, it will help you get connected to a ton of great leaders on campus (more often than not, those involved with campus initiatives are part of a frat/sorority); on the flip side, be wise about which party to attend in the Greek village. There's still happening there all the time, and it can be a drainer on your education if you're partying all the time

I mean the way I look at it, I do not want to blow $20k education over partying every night. I did that in highschool, and I'm really over it to be honest. I like how fraternities open up many doors for opportunity. Especially in business, I think it will be vital.
MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#13 CC19

CC19

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:57 AM

Living in Totem.. going to Sauder. Know alot of people on my floor tho.

Check out my deviantArt wallpaper gallery here!

#14 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,621 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:48 PM

All I know is be sure to balance. Almost more than half of the people that I know that joined sororities/fraternities took huge blows GPA-wise.

#15 Nucks fan555555

Nucks fan555555

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:05 PM

Hey CDC how are you? I was just browsing around and was wondering if anyone else will be living on res come September.

I'll be up at Totem, in the new building " həm'ləsəm' " attending the Sauder School of Business.

Anyone here ever lived on campus at UBC? Any advice?

Thanks! Hope to see some of you up on campus.

Hey! I asked this question in another thread and I thought i'd ask you since you are going to be attending sauder which is my goal. How competitve was the application process? Like what was your percentage of your top 4 classes and what extracurricular stuff did you have? Just want to know a little so I know how high I will have to go for my grades to have a chance of getting in.
Thanks if you can answer
Go Canucks Go

#16 kazin!

kazin!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,170 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:56 AM

UBC (and Canada) has a terrible Greek system. If you want to pay for friends, go for it. No, I'm not some butt hurt kid who rushed and got rejected. I've been around...don't bother.

I'd advise you to just go during rush week and score free booze/ugly girls.

Edit: The only good thing about frats I'd say is that they organize their sports teams pretty well, and I believe they get rebates, too. But you can easily do that by doing a house team or Sauder team. If you play hockey, the Sauder team in the elite division has been stacked year after year, so try and get on that.

Edited by kazin!, 22 August 2012 - 12:58 AM.

Posted Image

#17 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:25 AM

UBC (and Canada) has a terrible Greek system. If you want to pay for friends, go for it. No, I'm not some butt hurt kid who rushed and got rejected. I've been around...don't bother.

I'd advise you to just go during rush week and score free booze/ugly girls.

Edit: The only good thing about frats I'd say is that they organize their sports teams pretty well, and I believe they get rebates, too. But you can easily do that by doing a house team or Sauder team. If you play hockey, the Sauder team in the elite division has been stacked year after year, so try and get on that.

Haha, that's exactly what I figured it would be like. Whatever, I'll go to rush to check it out. I have no true intentions of joining a frat.
MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.