The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Trade Ballard

So I was just on NHL.com checking out the 30in30 on the Wild, looking at how rugged their defence looks at the moment-- and I thought that Ballard might be the solution.

He's from Minnesota so it wouldn't be that hard of a transition, not to mention he could quite possibly be on the top pairing alongside Ryan Suter. He's lost his form imo and isn't playing as great as he potentially could on the Canucks. Considering that he's only been getting 3rd pairing minutes.. I personally think he would definitely be interested, the only problem would be that we would lose some depth on D.

So my "solution and trade" would obviously have to involve at least one defensemen and quite possibly a center. Taking those things carefully into consideration, my proposal would then be as follows:

To Minnesota

Keith Ballard, Yann Sauve

To Vancouver

Matt Cullen, Clayton Stoner, 2nd round draft pick (2013)

I think it would be a fresh and positive start for Keith and that he would regain the form he had with Phoenix and Florida. Cap-wise it doesn't hurt us, Cullen makes 3.5 mil and is a FA after this season. Stoner makes around 1 mil, so just around Alberts' salary.. We only take on a couple K in this deal, and we get to solve two problems. (Two birds with one Stoner) lol We get the center depth we desperately need until Kes returns, and also we get a big defensemen with some potential.

I know some people had wanted to acquire Jason Arnott (Me, being one of them) but I think Cullen presents a better option, he is also only 35 so he still has a little gas left in the tank. Maybe he can regain some of the form he had when playing with Carolina? He was quite exquisite in their cup run during the "05-06 playoffs, scoring 4g/14a for 18p in 25 games while going plus-2.

EDIT: To all Keith Ballard appreciators, I'm not sorry if this post offended you. :P Thoughts?

My team for the NHL 2012/2013 season:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Versteeg

Higgins - Cullen - Hansen

Raymond/Malhotra - Lapierre - Kassian

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Stoner/Alberts - Tanev

Schneider

Ellis

Obviously Versteeg would come in the Lu trade along with either Bjustad or Ellerby, we would also sign Dan Ellis to a cheap contract. Did anyone else think it was great that Kris went to honour Ryp with Kevin, Tanner and Darcy?

I would also advise that we trade Raymond, but I guess depth always helps... I'm sort of out on the idea of signing Doan as well, it's been too long and personally as a hockey fan-- I'd rather see him finish his career in Phoenix. -_-

EDIT: If needed, we could also look into signing someone like Carlo Colaiacovo at around 2.5 mil for extra depth.

How can they be thin at center with Koivu, Bouchard (Made a full recovery) Granlund (Who will most likely be tried as the second line center this season) Brodziak (Their bonafide third line center) Powe and Konopka?? lol

Also the chances of Sauve making our line up any time soon are very, very slim! At least in Minnny he may be able to fit in with the future of their defensive corps, I would also put out there that trading Rodin in his place would be acceptable as well imo. That is only a small part of this trade.

Bouchard is oft-injured, and was 25% in the faceoff circle last year, and 39.5% the year before. He has pretty much been converted to full-time winger.

Granlund is a great prospect, but he's a 20 year-old who has never played the North American game. Him being ready for a top-6 role in the bigs is far from a sure thing.

Brodziak, Powe, and Konopka are great 4th liners, but nowhere near good enough to play in the top-6 of a playoff team.

So, yeah - besides Koivu, Cullen is their only solid, top-6 center. And really, even he would be a 3rd liner on most teams. So trading him to get a #3 D-man is just creating one hole to fill another.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Versteeg

Higgins - Cullen - Hansen

Raymond/Malhotra - Lapierre - Kassian

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Stoner/Alberts - Tanev

Schneider

Ellis

I would also advise that we trade Raymond, but I guess depth always helps...

Archived