The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Trade Ballard

ballard is MG's biggest mistake, he cost us to much

-Mitchell became expendable

-Bernier is exactly what we need right now, defensively responsible power forward with size

-Grabner top 6 forward

-Howden is a solid prospect

Bernier and Grabner have become impact players, though not for Florida. Bernier ultimately found a home on New Jersey's stellar fourth line during their run to the Finals this spring, while Grabner landed with the New York Islanders and received a Calder Trophy nomination for his 34-goal season in 2010-11.

First-rounder Quinton Howden has just completed his last year of junior with the Moose Jaw Warriors.

Meanwhile, Keith Ballard has been Alain Vigneault's $4.2 million whipping boy for the past two seasons. Despite his top-four salary, Ballard has found himself a frequent healthy scratch for the Canucks and played in just 10 of the Canucks' 25 playoff games in 2010-11

-Bernier is exactly what we need right now, defensively responsible power forward with size

-Grabner top 6 forward

Bernier and Grabner have become impact players, though not for Florida. Bernier ultimately found a home on New Jersey's stellar fourth line during their run to the Finals this spring, while Grabner landed with the New York Islanders and received a Calder Trophy nomination for his 34-goal season in 2010-11.

First-rounder Quinton Howden has just completed his last year of junior with the Moose Jaw Warriors.

Meanwhile, Keith Ballard has been Alain Vigneault's $4.2 million whipping boy for the past two seasons. Despite his top-four salary, Ballard has found himself a frequent healthy scratch for the Canucks and played in just 10 of the Canucks' 25 playoff games in 2010-11

How bout we trade Ballard to any team dumb enough to take him for lets say...oh a bag of pucks and grab a UFA defenceman who's still available for free? Some of the names still left are Kurtis Foster, Michal Rozsival, Carlo Coliacovo, Milan Jurcina, Jaroslav Spacek, Mark Eaton, Matt Gilroy, Brett Clark and Pavel Kubina. All those guys are looking for places to play next year and could be had for half the price we're paying Ballard.

That would be one stacked lineup.

I also think that the trade you proposed could be realistic for both sides if viewed individually, but I'd rather wait and see what return the team can get for Lu first and if Arnott would sign before pouncing on this Cullen deal.

Like you, I'd like Lu for Versteeg, but I'm still an advocate of signing Arnott (who has size, strength and is available without giving anything up!) and I would be happy to keep Ballard as a luxury 3rd pair guy who can exploit weaker match-ups. Stoner's got physicality but the Top-6 doesn't look as deep or dangerous offensively without someone like Keith who can lead the rush from the back end. He may be expensive but the potential for offense could be there if he's used properly (maybe give Keith the occasional power play time next to Garrison? His puck moving and passing could really set up Jason's bomb well)

Being a Blackhawks fan I know my vantage point for all things Canucks is differnt than most people on this board. But I do try to bring a neutral approach to my conversations here. I know that's nearly impossible to do as our passion for our team inevidibly comes out.

That being said, people need to give up the idea of trading Ballard, it isn't doing to happen. The only way Gillis could trade Ballard would be to take a ridiculously bad contract back, then what's the point in doing that.

There's only two options with Ballard as far as I can see:

1. Keep him on the 3rd pairing and hope he can find the form he showed Florida and Phoenix, or

2. Put him through waivers and send him to the Wolves. I have no doubt he'd clear waivers (and re-entry waivers if that happened).

Gillis is a great GM, I have loads of respect for him. However this is a trade that didn't work out, it happens to every GM sooner or later.

@Darth Kane-- Ballard isn't that horrible, people in Vancouver have a crazy way of undervaluing their players... Even as a Blackhawks fan, you should know this. There are a lot of teams that could use his services (Minny, Philly, Detroit, etc) MG being the GM he is should be able to get a respectable trade accomplished, he's just more focused on resolving the Lu trade atm.

As an after thought, what do you think of Kris Versteeg in a Canucks uniform? And only for discussions sake, what would you say to a Schneider/Booth trade for Patrick Kane.. :lol:

@Darth Kane-- Ballard isn't that horrible, people in Vancouver have a crazy way or undervaluing their players... Even as a Blackhawks fan, you should know this. There are a lot of teams that could use his services (Minny, Philly, Detroit, etc) MG being the GM he is should be able to get a respectable trade accomplished, he's just more focused on resolving the Lu trade atm.

As an after thought, what do you think of Kris Versteeg in a Canucks uniform? And only for discussions sake, what would you say to a Schneider/Booth trade for Patrick Kane.. :lol:

-Grabner top 6 forward

Fat chance they give up Brodziak though, I would of taken him over Cullen. The only problem is Cullen is more expendable and that Brodziak has a longer contract term.. With Cullen if we choose he isn't right long term, at least his contract expires after next season.

So far there have been no rumours of Ballard being on the trade block, I'm sure MG wanted to give him ample time to prove himself. But after last season, I believe that was his last chance. His play was acceptable in the first round playoff loss this past season, but I think it's time to trade him now while it's still fresh and vivid in people's minds.

If Versteeg did come here, there's no way he would play on the 3rd line! He'd either slot on to Kes' wing regularily or even get a try out with the Sedin twins. I'm curious as to why he went to Rypien's charity event with Canucks members, I have the sneaking suspicion that it's because he may in fact be a Canuck very soon.. :ph34r:

In regards to forwards, Florida has lots of prospects that I'm quite sure are going to try out this season. Huberdeau for example, will definitely get his shot at training camp this coming Sept/Dec. (Dependant on whether or not there is a lock out) If he plays well, he will be a more than adequate replacement for Kris.

As for the Kane trade farce, having a goalie of Schneider's calibre on a team like the Blackhawks would be such a boost for them that it would instantly push them back into Stanley Cup contention. We are ready to go with Schneid's as our number one, so it's highly unlikely we even consider trading him.. Especially to one of our biggest rivals, even if it is for Patrick Kane. So this is merely for conversation. Booth would be the replacement for Kane at forward, perhaps the Canucks throw in a 1st round draft pick as well to sweeten the pot? :P

I could see their lines looking something like this:

Sharp - Toews - Hossa

Booth - Arnott - Frolik (Ex-teamate of David's)

Bickell - Bolland - Stalberg

Carcillo - Kruger - Shaw

Keith - Seabrook

Oduya - Leddy

Hjalmarsson - Montador

Schneider

Crawford

Looks great to me, except you guys have a 2nd line center spot you need to fill. Preferably an actual center, and not using someone like Kane or Sharp in that spot. Perhaps you could sign someone like Jason Arnott for a season or two and then give Teravainen a shot, I'm not really too sure on the specifics of the Hawks.. So what do you think? :unsure:

EDIT: Also could you imagine if you guys could get Doan? Scratch Arnott off that list and place Doan into the line up, looks scary to play against. lol

Arnott is not a 2nd line centre, and if we trade Kane we have no short term or long term option to replace him. For some reason Sharp is no longer an option to centre the 2nd line (a real mystery to Hawks fans) so trading Kane creates a huge void for us. We have a couple centres in the pipeline, namely Danualt and Teravainen. Danault is more of a 3rd line centre and I think Teravainen will end up on the wing. If the Blackhawks are going to trade Kane there needs to be a better option for the 2C role.

Archived