The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Former Lightning Defenseman Paul Ranger Signs With Toronto Marlies

I googled this guy a couple months ago wondering what happened to him. He quit hockey and sort of took it easy for awhile, coached some minor hockey, went back to school.

He was really good his first three years. Lead all lighting D in scoring at the age of 22. Had a couple of rough years it seems, especially his last where he only played 8 games. Nice to see him back.

Good on him for going back to school. But to be closer to the girlfriend? Come on man you were in the NHL. You could have stayed and probably had a decent career and lots of different girlfriends thru the years...in every city. Must have been a very tough decision to quit.

06-07 season: 72 GP, 4 g, 24 a, 28 points +5 42 PIM

07-08 season: 72 GP, 10 g, 21 A, 31 Points, -13 56 PIM

Seems like a talented Offensive D for the Marlies. He's still 27 years of age and developed well while he was young, so I expect the year in the AHL spent improving his skill set will make up for the time that he spent developing faster then his piers. He only started playing in the NHL when he was around 21. That's quite remarkable when you consider that he was drafted 183rd Overall, so I guess those 3 years he spent is just making up for lost time. He should be in the NHL by 2013-2014, the guy is an extremely talented hockey player.

Archived