The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrik Sundstrom- the forgotten Canuck

Canucks fan in chicago

In his second season, Sundstrom lit it up for 38 goals and 53 assists for 91 points. His point totals WERE club records for a centre. Included in those numbers is a seven-point night (a goal and six assists) during a 9-5 win at Pittsburgh on Feb. 29, 1984. That mark remains a club record for most points by a player in one game and is just one off the all-time record of eight points in a road game co-held by Peter and Anton Stastny. Sundstrom followed that up with seasons of 68, 66 and 71 points to finish his Canuck career with 342 points in 374 games. He remains in 10th place in all-time team scoring.

He HAD the club record for scoring in a season by a centre, why doesn't he get the recognition he deserves?

Keep in mind that was a totally different era. And while Sundstrom was good, he was still well down the depth list on all those powerhouse Oiler and Flames teams. The Oilers had five guys above Sundstrom's peak season, while Gretzky had more than double his peak season. Yada-yada-yada.

And Sundstrom scored 1 goal and 1 assist in 11 playoff games as a Canuck. In which the Canucks were SPANKED.

Good player from a forgettable era.

Of course, was never saying that. Just mean that I would have made that trade to the devils a hundred times over. Sundstrom was a good player, But we won that deal as Gus and Kirk were amazing for us. (Though Adams did get injured in a Salo like frequency)

I agree. Every time I do some sort of statistical Canuck thing, I always see him up there. His high level of points in that one year has always been underestimated. He's still 2nd in both most goals, and most points for a centre in one season.

Archived