The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(article) 5 reasons Luongo should stay in Vancouver..... for now

Red-Haired_Shanks

I'd invest 9.3 million of our cap hit in goaltending, considering the goalies play every minute of every single game and are the most important players on an ice hockey team.

Think about it, the goalie is far more important to a team's success than just 1 forward. Sidney Crosby may score 50 goals and 120 points and be directly responsible for even 100 of those goals scored, but a good goalie like Quick, Lundqvist, Luongo etc. is responsible for every single goal scored against in ever single game.

I'd rather have the best possible goaltending all season long rather than 1 good goalie, 1 average backup and a bunch of tertiary players. Face it, the NHL is a goaltender's sport, and the position is similar to the quaterback in football. You don't win Cups anymore without quality goaltending and goaltending DEPTH (Kings had Quick, but Bernier too, Boston had Thomas-Rask, Detroit had Hasek-Osgood etc.).

Yeah,but which GM would trade away a proven #1 (with a 5.3 cap hit) to bring in a goalie that has never played 34 regular season games/season in his career (with a 4 mil cap hit)?

Gillis better bring in a future #1 d man with this trade cuz Cory may need some help.

This is complete BS.

First, only 50% of the goaltending tandem would be playing "every minute of every single game", at any time. They can't both be on the ice at the same time.

Second, and most importantly, the variance between the best and the worst goalies in the NHL is VERY SMALL, relative to the difference between, say, Sidney Crosby and Dale Weise.

Case in point: SV%. Surely the best, most isolated stat in hockey to measure a goalie's effectiveness at stopping the puck.

#1 in the NHL, for goalies who played > 50 games: Henrik Lundqvist, NYR; .930

Dead last in the NHL, for goalies who played > 50 games: Corey Crawford, CHI: .903

The way that this reads is that over the course of 100 shots, Corey Crawford let in 2.7 more goals than Henrik Lundqvist. That's it. 100 shots will take anywhere from 3 - 5 games to complete, so, stated otherwise, again, the difference between the best and the worst goalie in the NHL is less than a goal per game, and maybe only about even half of a goal per game. This is probably why Detroit has been so comfortable in spending so little on their goalies. The variance from best to worst is just not that significant.

If there is a season this year, I guarantee Luongo will be with the team very close to or until the trade deadline. Even then there is a very good chance he stays. Gillis has made it very clear he wants a fair return and I can't see any team willing to give up something fair when they have to take on Luongo's ridiculous contract. Also everyone has seen how easily rattled Luongo can get in the playoffs.

I don't know how this situation will pan out but I won't be surprised to see him with the Canucks for another full season.

Yeah,but which GM would trade away a proven #1 (with a 5.3 cap hit) to bring in a goalie that has never played 34 regular season games/season in his career (with a 4 mil cap hit)?

Gillis better bring in a future #1 d man with this trade cuz Cory may need some help.

Any one of them who see a goalie with terrible performances for three years straight. He is no Cam Ward or Patrick Roy or J.S. Giguere.... the kind of guys who elevate their game and drag the team along no matter how bad they come out and play. Your hero is finished and now it is time to move on, Gillis is ready for it... now it is time for you to accept it.

#1.Luo is not my hero.He is just far more reliable than a goalie that has won one playoff game out of three at the NHL level.

Luo did elevate his game and excelled here for years -Cory has never done that or proven he can do that at the NHL level.

Gillis just gave Luo a twelve year deal.I can accept it may be time to move on but to state he is 'finished' makes Gillis look like a zero.

#1.Luo is not my hero.He is just far more reliable than a goalie that has won one playoff game out of three at the NHL level.

Luo did elevate his game and excelled here for years -Cory has never done that or proven he can do that at the NHL level.

Gillis just gave Luo a twelve year deal.I can accept it may be time to move on but to state he is 'finished' makes Gillis look like a zero.

Lou if far from a reliable goalie and Cory looked fantastic in all of the LA games, your point is out too lunch. I can't understand fans like you that bad mouth our new #1 before the season starts. Why don't you sit back and see how he plays as the #1 and stop painting yourself into a corner.

Gillis is willing to accept that he made a mistake on Lou, it's time you did as well?

Archived