The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(article) 5 reasons Luongo should stay in Vancouver..... for now

Red-Haired_Shanks

5 reasons Luongo should not stay in Vancouver... forever

1) Cory is younger.

2) Cory is cheaper.

3) Cory is now better.

4) Cory comes with less baggage and drama.

5) The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

5 reasons Luongo should not stay in Vancouver... forever

1) Cory is younger.

2) Cory is cheaper.

3) Cory is now better.

4) Cory comes with less baggage and drama.

5) The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

4) Cory comes with less baggage and drama. Wake up, his baggage is that people think he is great and the second coming. High expectations goes hand in hand with hard feeling if they don't live up to what people dream to be reality. I hope he is as good as what people expect or he will be slapped around and treated like Luo. That is the truth!

This is complete BS.

First, only 50% of the goaltending tandem would be playing "every minute of every single game", at any time. They can't both be on the ice at the same time.

Second, and most importantly, the variance between the best and the worst goalies in the NHL is VERY SMALL, relative to the difference between, say, Sidney Crosby and Dale Weise.

Case in point: SV%. Surely the best, most isolated stat in hockey to measure a goalie's effectiveness at stopping the puck.

#1 in the NHL, for goalies who played > 50 games: Henrik Lundqvist, NYR; .930

Dead last in the NHL, for goalies who played > 50 games: Corey Crawford, CHI: .903

The way that this reads is that over the course of 100 shots, Corey Crawford let in 2.7 more goals than Henrik Lundqvist. That's it. 100 shots will take anywhere from 3 - 5 games to complete, so, stated otherwise, again, the difference between the best and the worst goalie in the NHL is less than a goal per game, and maybe only about even half of a goal per game. This is probably why Detroit has been so comfortable in spending so little on their goalies. The variance from best to worst is just not that significant.

1) Cory is younger. Yes

2) Cory is cheaper. Yes

3) Cory is now better. How do you know?

4) Cory comes with less baggage and drama. Wake up, his baggage is that people think he is great and the second coming. High expectations goes hand in hand with hard feeling if they don't live up to what people dream to be reality. I hope he is as good as what people expect or he will be slapped around and treated like Luo. That is the truth!

5) The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. Agreed, we have not changed very much in the whole team, why are goalies the only thing that needs changing? Before even getting to the Goalie issue, we should look at the non scoring that happened and the bad defense break downs that happen and odd man rushes we keep giving up. We need to fix the team on a whole.

In reality,Luo suffered his first serious groin injury in November of 2008.

However,despite that serious groin injury and then reinjuring it just weeks later,Gillis.org decided to grant Luo 64 million cashews and give him the no-trade,12 year deal.Weeks after signing the deal l(Sept.2010) Luo suffered yet another groin injury and then had one more in Nov. 2011.

For me,these serious groin injuries are what have altered Luo's level of elite play and yet he was still carrying the bulk of the games for the Canucks into this last season.

How did Luo and the team do despite his successive groin injuries that began in 2008? :

2011-2012-First in Division,Conference and League

2010-2011-First in Division,Conference and League

2009-2010-First in Division,third in Conference and fifth in League

2008-2009-First in Division,fifth in Conference and seventh in League

In reality,Luo suffered his first serious groin injury in November of 2008.

However,despite that serious groin injury and then reinjuring it just weeks later,Gillis.org decided to grant Luo 64 million cashews and give him the no-trade,12 year deal.Weeks after signing the deal l(Sept.2010) Luo suffered yet another groin injury and then had one more in Nov. 2011.

For me,these serious groin injuries are what have altered Luo's level of elite play and yet he was still carrying the bulk of the games for the Canucks into this last season.

How did Luo and the team do despite his successive groin injuries that began in 2008? :

2011-2012-First in Division,Conference and League

2010-2011-First in Division,Conference and League

2009-2010-First in Division,third in Conference and fifth in League

2008-2009-First in Division,fifth in Conference and seventh in League

What I find to be significant is save % from a goalie.

Your D can suck clearing the front of the net and your forwards can be straggling weak and the goals will pour in yet the save % has to indicate that there was a high level of goaltending in those losses and goals against.

I like to use Marty Brodeur as a metric as he is the quintessential stud goalie of my generation that had the great fortune to have Montreal Canadien - esque defenders helping his game along.

Marty's lifetime NHL playoff save % is .919 . His regular season % is .913 .

Luongo's lifetime NHL playoff save % is .919 .His regular season % is .916 .

Your D can suck clearing the front of the net and your forwards can be straggling weak and the goals will pour in yet the save % has to indicate that there was a high level of goaltending in those losses and goals against.

I like to use Marty Brodeur as a metric as he is the quintessential stud goalie of my generation that had the great fortune to have Montreal Canadien - esque defenders helping his game along.

I would argue that Brodeur had elite level d men in front of him for most of those years.

The stellar New Jersey defensive system allowed Brodeur to have outstanding years so it all comes out in the wash.

As Bert says -It is what it is- and Luo's save percentage is spectacular-regular season and playoffs.

I spent some time researching over the players that protected and elevated Marty's game-and numbers.

Luo suffered and played through his groin injuries and never had a Norris defender backing him up.

Imagine having Stevens-15 years (Conn Smythe,HHOF) ,Daneyko-20 years, Niedermayer* -14 years (Norris) as your top 3 defenders?

Throw in Fetisov (HHOF) -six years-one of, if not the greatest d man that came out of the Soviet Union.

Rafalski-seven seasons.Weinrich,White.......

Lemaire (HHOF, 2 Jack Adams,11 Stanley's),Robinson (2 Norris',Smythe,9 Stanley's),Burns and Lamoriello (HHOF) as your coaches?

Marty has four Vezina's and five Jennings.The team's defensive emphasis was brought from Montreal ,where it is legendary.

I would say Luo has done remarkably well given our overall lack of commitment to a disciplined defensive style of game in Vancouver.

The Big Three — Daneyko, Scott Stevens and Scott Niedermayer. Their numbers are in the rafters, facing the three Stanley Cup banners they helped win, as a constant reminder of what made this franchise great during its dynasty years.

“One is in the Hall of Fame,” said goalie Martin Brodeur, referring to Stevens. “One will be in the Hall of Fame soon (Niedermayer). And Dano is in his own Hall of Fame.

*Niedermayer is the only player to win every major North American and international championship in his career; he has won the Memorial Cup, World Junior Championship gold, IIHF World Championship gold, two Olympic gold medals, four Stanley Cups and the World Cup.

I would argue that Brodeur had elite level d men in front of him for most of those years.

The stellar New Jersey defensive system allowed Brodeur to have outstanding years so it all comes out in the wash.

As Bert says -It is what it is- and Luo's save percentage is spectacular-regular season and playoffs.

You will note three jerseys hanging in the Prudential Arena rafters.Each one compliments a Stanley Cup Banner.

Each one belongs to a legendary Devil's d man.

Conversely,we look up in Roger's Arena and see three forward's jerseys in the rafters with no Stanley Cup Banners.

Given Gillis.org's penchant for offensive dominance in the first four years , Gillis.org's /AV's approach/offensive emphasis would look even more playoff suspect if not for Luo's spectacular play for this franchise.

Significant,remarkable defence men and goalies are the backbone to championship teams.

Shore up the present D with one more physical D man and Cory will do well going forward.

The five /six spots have to be filled by physical d men that can still move the puck fairly well.

Archived