The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rugby] Any tips for a flanker?

I've been playing flanker for the past year now and I really love the position. However, I really want to become better at it. My coaches tell me I have a good shot at Team BC next year and I really want it aha

SO, I was wondering if there was anyone out there that could help in becoming a better flanker, maybe some workouts/drills?

I have tried looking on google but a lot of the really helpful websites require me to pay :sadno:

anyway THANKS!

Something little that actually made a big difference for me when playing flanker was during scrums, to put your outside leg out sort of horizontally so it reaches out from the side of the scrum.

If I was unable to get free from the scrum quickly after the other team got possesion, it was surprising how many times the other teams scrumhalf or flyhalf would try to cut quickly just around the edge of the scrum and have to slow down to avoid my leg or just outright trip over it.

I feel like if you're good enough that your coaches would tell you you could make Team BC you might already know that one though, but I dont think I was given that tip until about my 2nd year playing flank, so I dunno.

I remember when I went from wing/fullback to lock that I found some good youtube videos to help learn some basic technique as well as get a handle on a bit of advanced stuff since I had been able to watch a lot of what happens for years before switching. I found a lot of the explanations or outlines of a position I'd found in the past were pretty general though, so some of the tips and tricks can only be learned by experience or by playing with experienced players as they aren't documented anywhere.

If you have access to watch any rugby of a reasonable level then make sure to pick out the flankers and follow closely what they do. With the Rugby Championship on right now you have your pick of some of the best flankers around to watch. McCaw (NZ) and Pocock (Aus, unfortunately out with knee surgery) are some of the best fetchers in the world, always on the line of too far and just right to steal ball and protect it at each breakdown. Alberts (SA) is a tough ball carrier while Messam (NZ) is a skilled runner who can match most backs. Each has their own strength and you'll have to find yours but that makes a huge difference in picking out little things the best players are doing - and doing well - that you may not be aware of.

Of course, focusing on your development versus tips and tricks alone is a big key. Tackling, quickness, work rate and ball carrying are important for flankers. A balance of fitness and strength is a must as you're the first to the ball on offence and defence in most situations so train accordingly.

You've probably found these already:

The rules around rucks change frequently so be careful at the breakdowns:

Decent video with James Haskell (England flanker) on his training:

I remember when I went from wing/fullback to lock that I found some good youtube videos to help learn some basic technique as well as get a handle on a bit of advanced stuff since I had been able to watch a lot of what happens for years before switching. I found a lot of the explanations or outlines of a position I'd found in the past were pretty general though, so some of the tips and tricks can only be learned by experience or by playing with experienced players as they aren't documented anywhere.

If you have access to watch any rugby of a reasonable level then make sure to pick out the flankers and follow closely what they do. With the Rugby Championship on right now you have your pick of some of the best flankers around to watch. McCaw (NZ) and Pocock (Aus, unfortunately out with knee surgery) are some of the best fetchers in the world, always on the line of too far and just right to steal ball and protect it at each breakdown. Alberts (SA) is a tough ball carrier while Messam (NZ) is a skilled runner who can match most backs. Each has their own strength and you'll have to find yours but that makes a huge difference in picking out little things the best players are doing - and doing well - that you may not be aware of.

Of course, focusing on your development versus tips and tricks alone is a big key. Tackling, quickness, work rate and ball carrying are important for flankers. A balance of fitness and strength is a must as you're the first to the ball on offence and defence in most situations so train accordingly.

You've probably found these already:

The rules around rucks change frequently so be careful at the breakdowns:

Decent video with James Haskell (England flanker) on his training:

Archived