The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oilers Re-Sign Hall -- 7 Years

Kassian

I think some Oiler fans are misunderstanding what many fans (not just Canuck fans are saying) and accusing them of just being jealous. The point many are trying to make is you will end up locking up 5 core players at around 30 million - one of whom may become a decent defenceman and another who is injury prone. It doesn't matter that Hemsky etc will becoming off the books - if the cap goes down in the next CBA (which it likely will) locking up that much money on 5 young kids and trying to contend for a cup with the likes of Peckham, Dubnyk etc will be difficult. And for those Oiler fans who tried to post lineups on here that fit under the cap - they are no where near cup contending lineups IMO.

I for one am looking forward to a competitive team from Alberta cause we all know the Flames will not be the dominant team from Alberta in the next 10 years lol.

I think some Oiler fans are misunderstanding what many fans (not just Canuck fans are saying) and accusing them of just being jealous. The point many are trying to make is you will end up locking up 5 core players at around 30 million - one of whom may become a decent defenceman and another who is injury prone. It doesn't matter that Hemsky etc will becoming off the books - if the cap goes down in the next CBA (which it likely will) locking up that much money on 5 young kids and trying to contend for a cup with the likes of Peckham, Dubnyk etc will be difficult. And for those Oiler fans who tried to post lineups on here that fit under the cap - they are no where near cup contending lineups IMO.

The answer is the same to both of your questions.

Hall can chose to never play hockey again. But EDM would still hold his rights.

Again, My original point was to correct an oversight made by you in reference to the CBA.

Hall CAN NOT become a UFA at the age of 24 years. Not in this CBA or any proposed CBA. No proposal from the NHLPA or NHL has called for the age of UFA status to be reduced to 24 years of age.

The proposal by the NHL for the new CBA calls for 5 years ELC contracts, 10 years before UFA and 5 year term limits on contracts.

The current CBA requires 3 year ELC, 7 accrued seasons or age of 27 years before attaining UFA status, and no real limit on contract lengths.

Hall does not become UFA at 24 years under any of these proposed or agreed to rules.

You were in a discussion with another poster and used the following 2 arguments for your position:

One: 5 year contracts would not be allowed in next CBA.

Two: Hall would be UFA @ 24 years old.

Your argument is not fact based. You conceded the first, re 5 year contract limit . You should fact check and do the same with this Hall turning UFA @ 24 years thing and move on.

Like I said earlier I recognise your love/ability to debate. I enjoy reading some of what you post. In this case facts don't add up. CBA is clear on these rules.

I only corrected your oversight in the interest of making sure CDC remains credible especially when a member references the CBA. As you know false referencing of the CBA causes a lot of confusion on CDC, particularly with the younger members who repeatedly make false fact based posts because they read them in one post made by a senior member who made a simple mistake. I make mistakes too, its not like I'm calling you out on an oversight or anything. Good Day.

I for one am looking forward to a competitive team from Alberta cause we all know the Flames will not be the dominant team from Alberta in the next 10 years lol.

Archived