The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oilers Re-Sign Hall -- 7 Years

Kassian

The thing is they didn't need to lock him up just yet. His ELC isn't even up. Let him play it out - prove that he can stay healthy. Will it cost more down the road? Probably, but even if Tamby would have waited till the next offseason he probably could have gotten the same deal done - maybe a cheaper one.

I almost wonder if this was initiated by the agent. With the cap possibly going down, and future uncertainty, it might have been a "pay up or we're gone" moment.

Lol!

I know the guy is one of the faces of the Oilers franchise, but c'mon - Sedin $ to a guy who has had injury crumpled years and who hasn't been living up to his expectations, and add that it's a 7 year deal; horrible deal! Jeff Skinner is much more stable of a player, has proved much more, has lived up to his expectations, and lastly, is a better player than Hall and he gets less than him.

...Oilers got a bit too pumped with the kid and thought he'll become a hokey legend with this extension...he has yet to prove anything...do not like the signing at all but as a Vancouver fan, would love the entertainment if Hall can't live up to the hype and the Oilers have cap issues :lol:

1) These guys are signing in Edmonton not Vancouver, LA, or NYC - they're going to get more money for staying in a less desirable market.

2) The Sedins signed their contract three years ago - average salaries across the league have grown so a contract that was worth 6 mil in 2009 would be closer to 7 mil today. Not to mention the fact that the twins took a discount in 2009 dollars.

As a result I'd say Tambellini did a pretty good job on the negotiations, and I'd suspect 6 mil is going to look pretty damn good in the final few years of the contract term.

The thing that you're forgetting is that there's a strong possibility that the new CBA won't allow 5,6,7 year deals. So, having Hall becoming a UFA at 24 is not a smart strategy for EDM. You want this type of player locked up for longer. There's no way the future captain of this team would have signed for less money on a shorter contract.

The injury issue and 'proving you can stay healthy' is a bad argument, since many young stars get hurt and still sign monster contracts. Even older guys as well. Players get hurt, it's part of hockey. You can mitigate it as much as possible but you can't avoid it. Everyone gets hurt eventually and everyone plays with and through pain and injury. Many teams wouldn't rush a player like Hall back anyways.

Don't forget Schultz lol - and I get the argument of Hemsky and Horcoff coming off the books but you still have to replace those players salary wise and Horcoff is still on the books when RNH and Schultz are up for new contracts as well as Dubynk who they are already paying 3.75 mil to. So in 2013 you have to resign tp of your young core players plus have Yakupov coming up in a year - Tambi needs Eberle signed under the current CBA at less than Hall - remember under a new CBA if it comes cap may be reduced and front end loaded long term contracts might be gone as well. And the Oilers still need to rebuild the D and 2 other full lines - might be Chicago-like in the sense they may have to move some talent.

The thing that you're forgetting is that there's a strong possibility that the new CBA won't allow 5,6,7 year deals. So, having Hall becoming a UFA at 24 is not a smart strategy for EDM. You want this type of player locked up for longer. There's no way the future captain of this team would have signed for less money on a shorter contract.

The injury issue and 'proving you can stay healthy' is a bad argument, since many young stars get hurt and still sign monster contracts. Even older guys as well. Players get hurt, it's part of hockey. You can mitigate it as much as possible but you can't avoid it. Everyone gets hurt eventually and everyone plays with and through pain and injury. Many teams wouldn't rush a player like Hall back anyways.

Don't forget Schultz lol - and I get the argument of Hemsky and Horcoff coming off the books but you still have to replace those players salary wise and Horcoff is still on the books when RNH and Schultz are up for new contracts as well as Dubynk who they are already paying 3.75 mil to. So in 2013 you have to resign tp of your young core players plus have Yakupov coming up in a year - Tambi needs Eberle signed under the current CBA at less than Hall - remember under a new CBA if it comes cap may be reduced and front end loaded long term contracts might be gone as well. And the Oilers still need to rebuild the D and 2 other full lines - might be Chicago-like in the sense they may have to move some talent.

NHL has offered contract term limit of 5 years for the new CBA so you are partially right on term limit. I don't see the league getting exactly 5 years, perhaps the players will agree to a limit but I highly doubt it will be 4 years.

Another important thing the owners want is players to play 10 years before hitting UFA. The current agreement is 7 seasons or hit 27 years of age.

Also I think Eberle is the future Captain of the Oilers. They live together as room mates and from what I've seen Eberle is the leader and clearly more captain material than Hall.

Archived