The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oilers Re-Sign Hall -- 7 Years

Kassian

Let's say contracts are limited to 5 years (there's no way the players go lower). Hall plays out his ELC - signs a 2 year deal at 5.5 per (Taveres$$). When that contract is over Hall is still an RFA. He can then sign a max deal of 5 years and 7 per (or whatever market value is at that time). Tallying that up Hall got a 7 years and 46 million. Not far off the mark, but if he continues to have injury trouble Edmonton has the flexibility to save some money and get out of a bad contract.

I disagree about injuries. You don't see many GM's throwing tons of cash at guys that struggle with them. While Hall's have been freak injuries - you can't dismiss them. I can see if Hall was a pending UFA, but they have time to wait and see. I also don't see many young stars that have injury troubles getting huge deals. (Don't give Crosby as an example - that is an entirely different contract)

And Tyler Myers has a 7 year $5.5m per deal. Is he worth more to BUF than Hall is to EDM?

Again, EDM made the right move by locking up their future captain early. Make your corps happy while you can afford to, if you want to bring it up later at the negotiating table. Pay now, so you can ask for a discount later. That's good GM'ing.

Why would he agree to a 2 year extension after playing out his 3 year ELC? What good would that do him? Teams sign players longer to bring the AAV down over the course of the contract. Having shorter contracts could spell bigger AAV's for teams living in a cap world.

And Tyler Myers has a 7 year $5.5m per deal. Is he worth more to BUF than Hall is to EDM?

Again, EDM made the right move by locking up their future captain early. Make your corps happy while you can afford to, if you want to bring it up later at the negotiating table. Pay now, so you can ask for a discount later. That's good GM'ing.

Yes myers is worth more to Buf. He's the future and the present of their blueline, 6'7" mobile offensive defensemen don't come around often.

Hall is an injury prone winger on a team stocked with offensive wingers in eberle, yak and hall.

Future captain is highly debateable

Teams sign long deals to bring the cap down when the deal declines in value. Hall's will likely increase in value - somewhere along the lines of 4,5,6,6,6,7,8. So the length really doesn't do anything. Infact a shorter deal likely would mean a low cap hit for the oilers - however that isn't a issue right now.

Honestly - yes. Myers is worth more to buffalo than hall to Edmonton. If Myers goes down buffalos defense suffers. If hall goes down, Edmonton still has eberle, rnh, and now yakupov.

Matt Duchene just signed a 2 year deal worth 3.5 per after a year where he missed a lot o time due to injury. Do you think he's offended? He's a huge part of colorado's future.

Why overpay now to hope they will take a discount later? That's not good gming.

Not a terrible contract and its basically in line with what we've seen from star players coming off ELCs (adjusting for cap inflation).

I'm surprised its over Skinner's 5.75 but at 6 million, I could easily see Hall being a 40-40 player and at that rate it'll be a bargain. The big question is whether or not he'll stay healthy enough to reach those totals. Hall plays recklessly with his head down and like s to get stuck in the rough areas. I don't know whether or not he'll be healthy enough to reach those big goal totals, but if he is, he'll definitely be worth it.

Eberle will likely want more than Hall for scoring more. I can see him at 6.25. With RNH's skillset, I see him being a 100 point player in the future and I think he'll top 90 points in the next two seasons. That'd put him at 6.5 million+ long term. I don't think Yakupov will be as good as the other three, but still top 6 million.

Hall - 6 million

Eberle - 6.25 million

RNH - 6.5+ million

Yakupov - 6+ million

Benn is likely looking at 6+ million for his contract. And Seguin is probably shooting for almost 7 million at this point.

How does a shorter length contract produce a smaller caphit?? What kind of an agent would allow a team to sign his client to a shorter cheaper contract when you're talking about a 1st overall and 1st line player?

Myers scored 8 goals last year and only played 55 games due to injury. How is that more valuable to BUF than Hall's 19 more goals in 6 more games, for EDM?

How is it overpayment? Do you think if Hall became available to the market he'd get less than $6m and less than 7 years?

Archived