The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oilers Re-Sign Hall -- 7 Years

Kassian

I don't think it is a bad deal at all...He signed for half a million more than Tavares who I see as being similar value wise as they both possess high ceilings that should see them both putting up 70-80 points consistently. Now the most common knock I've seen so far is that Hall is injury prone which is true but given his talent level and potential it is understandable why the Oilers would do everything to keep him and as I said earlier I don't see it being a huge overpayment considering even if he only plays 60 odd games he should give you near PPG production. Add that to the fact that Edmonton is no New York (even if it is Long Island) some extra money might have been needed to convince him to stay.

I guess Tambellini could have gambled and offered him a short term Duchene like deal at 2 years 4mil ~ per but then you are risking him either taking in more money than he signed now the next time around..say 7-8 maybe more per if he really explodes for a hundred point season. The other scenario hypothetically is he walks away should the oilers rebuild not pan out and they are still in the basement in two years time.

So I think overall it's a safer move to lock him up long term even if you are overpaying him slightly right now because he could bring you a bargain in the later years should he peak at 90 pts

This is a bad deal for Edmonton the first 3 years of the contract and a good deal for the last 4 years. If Hall got 6 mil, I expect RNH to get the same and Eberle to get about 6.75-7 mil. Than Yakupov will ask for 6 mil and Shultz probably 5.5 mil so with all them signed long term it's about 30ish million bucks. This could turn into a cap problem.

I was one of the ones arguing against Kesler wearing the C.....so what's your point?

Interviews is now a criterion of captaincy?? How does Hall present himself differently to the point of not warranting captaincy??

I didn't realize I said Hall would be an RFA at 24 years old....could you point out to where I said that please?

I'll concede that 5 years will most likely be available....but not 6 or 7 year deals.

I did not say you said Hall would be RFA at 24 years. Under the current CBA that would be possible.

You said Hall would become UFA at 24 years.

as you claimed at 24 years. And I will point to you where you said this. It's highlighted in your following quote.

Also Yes, I do think how a player interviews with the media is an important criteria in being Captain. As Captain part of your job is to be a spokes man for the palyers and team. Being Captain of a professional sports team now days is almost similar to being a public figure and/or politician. Particularly a hockey team in Canada.

Like I said time will tell.

I think this is a pretty fair contract. Hall was on pace for 71 points last year over 82 games in his 2nd year, which is really good. He plays with so much passion, & grit, but also has the ability to rack up points. This guy ahs future leader/captain written all over him.

He's ONLY 20 & the Oilers locked him up for the next 8 years at less than what he'll be worth in the future. There's no where to go but up for Hall, and all of this injury plagued stuff, I don't think Taylor's going to break his ankle fighting or getting his face slit by skates anymore in his career. His may play a bit "reckless" but as he grows he'll mature & learn to be a bit safer.

Good contract. Locking up one of your franchise players for only 6 million, what's wrong with that?

My bad, I meant to say UFA, not RFA. Regardless, the point I was making was that if Hall, after his 3 years of ELC, which ends this season, while he's 20 years old, he 'could' sign a 2 year extension, but why would he? He's done his 3 years minimum prior to walking if he wants to. So, to lock him up now is better than a) having an offer sheet sent to him for possibly more than $6m at the end of this season or b ) having him walk after the extension as an unrestricted free agent to the highest bidder...which is what he would be, at age 24, under the current CBA that's about to expire. It's moot because the current CBA is as said ready to expire, however, that still doesn't mean that Tamby wouldn't have had to contend with an offer sheet had he waited till after the new CBA kicked in, nor does it mean, Hall's Agent wouldn't have advised him to wait till the off-season to sign as surely there would be offer sheets higher than $6million coming his way.

Again, what Tambellini did was smart and solid GM'ing for locking up their franchise top line, left winger to a very long contract while he's 20 years old, or essentially his 'prime' years.

Funny how the NHL owners want to limit contract length players can be signed to but these new long term deals seem to be trickling in everyday before the old CBA expires which seems to me that not everyone is on board with Bettmans ideas

Good length for the Oilers but that is one hell of a steep price to pay for someone with as little time in the league as Hall.

Makes me think by 2020 a very good player who has just completed his ELC and signs a new deal will be looking at $10 mill per a year.

Archived