Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Oilers Re-Sign Hall -- 7 Years

Signing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
133 replies to this topic

#121 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:57 AM

the sedins are the only one on that list that make more than 6 million right now. Highly unlikely yak, rnh, eberle, schultz take pay cuts to stay on a team that's been miserable for years

How misserable were the Canucks when they drafted the Sedins?

#122 FullMetalOilDrum

FullMetalOilDrum

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:03 AM

Nobody can be signed during a lockout. Its called a labour dispute for a reason.

Touché.
Respect my favorite team, and I will respect yours.

#123 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,395 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:23 AM

Owners: RAWR! Losing money! Have put limits on contracts! Lockout!

Oilers sign player to a 7 year deal.

Fans = :picard:

Edited by Ghostsof1915, 23 August 2012 - 07:25 AM.

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#124 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,437 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:08 AM

That's a little high in my opinion. The kid will not put up Sedin type numbers now or anytime soon.
Posted Image

#125 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:48 AM

A little early for this kid to get a contract like that, new CBA forced tamby. If you watch his game he is extremely dynamic, just needs to "smarten up"
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#126 ilovekevinbieksa

ilovekevinbieksa

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

sign eberle, RNH, & yakupov and then in 4 years, make some more room for a few stanley cups
Posted Image (One duplicate gif removed by mod to meet size limitations)

#127 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,892 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

sure looks to me like edmonton knows a way to get them

Yeah. Suck

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#128 MikeBossy

MikeBossy

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:49 PM

I think some Oiler fans are misunderstanding what many fans (not just Canuck fans are saying) and accusing them of just being jealous. The point many are trying to make is you will end up locking up 5 core players at around 30 million - one of whom may become a decent defenceman and another who is injury prone. It doesn't matter that Hemsky etc will becoming off the books - if the cap goes down in the next CBA (which it likely will) locking up that much money on 5 young kids and trying to contend for a cup with the likes of Peckham, Dubnyk etc will be difficult. And for those Oiler fans who tried to post lineups on here that fit under the cap - they are no where near cup contending lineups IMO.

I for one am looking forward to a competitive team from Alberta cause we all know the Flames will not be the dominant team from Alberta in the next 10 years lol.
14ki2wz.jpg

Thanks to Vintage Canuck for the awesome sig :)

#129 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,119 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

I think some Oiler fans are misunderstanding what many fans (not just Canuck fans are saying) and accusing them of just being jealous. The point many are trying to make is you will end up locking up 5 core players at around 30 million - one of whom may become a decent defenceman and another who is injury prone. It doesn't matter that Hemsky etc will becoming off the books - if the cap goes down in the next CBA (which it likely will) locking up that much money on 5 young kids and trying to contend for a cup with the likes of Peckham, Dubnyk etc will be difficult. And for those Oiler fans who tried to post lineups on here that fit under the cap - they are no where near cup contending lineups IMO.

Well put

Bring Back the Totems!

#130 Azzy Mahmood

Azzy Mahmood

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

A big pay day all round: player, player's agent, player's dentist...great deal for the kid.

#131 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,994 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

Answer me this, can he refuse to sign his RFA extension after 3 years?

Also, can he refuse to re-sign with EDM if he chose to sign a 2 year extension, after his 3 year ELC is done?

The answer is the same to both of your questions.

Hall can chose to never play hockey again. But EDM would still hold his rights.

Again, My original point was to correct an oversight made by you in reference to the CBA.

Hall CAN NOT become a UFA at the age of 24 years. Not in this CBA or any proposed CBA. No proposal from the NHLPA or NHL has called for the age of UFA status to be reduced to 24 years of age.

The proposal by the NHL for the new CBA calls for 5 years ELC contracts, 10 years before UFA and 5 year term limits on contracts.

The current CBA requires 3 year ELC, 7 accrued seasons or age of 27 years before attaining UFA status, and no real limit on contract lengths.

Hall does not become UFA at 24 years under any of these proposed or agreed to rules.

You were in a discussion with another poster and used the following 2 arguments for your position:

One: 5 year contracts would not be allowed in next CBA.
Two: Hall would be UFA @ 24 years old.

Your argument is not fact based. You conceded the first, re 5 year contract limit . You should fact check and do the same with this Hall turning UFA @ 24 years thing and move on.

Like I said earlier I recognise your love/ability to debate. I enjoy reading some of what you post. In this case facts don't add up. CBA is clear on these rules.

I only corrected your oversight in the interest of making sure CDC remains credible especially when a member references the CBA. As you know false referencing of the CBA causes a lot of confusion on CDC, particularly with the younger members who repeatedly make false fact based posts because they read them in one post made by a senior member who made a simple mistake. I make mistakes too, its not like I'm calling you out on an oversight or anything. Good Day.

Edited by WHL rocks, 23 August 2012 - 02:57 PM.

#132 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:46 PM

The answer is the same to both of your questions.

Hall can chose to never play hockey again. But EDM would still hold his rights.

Again, My original point was to correct an oversight made by you in reference to the CBA.

Hall CAN NOT become a UFA at the age of 24 years. Not in this CBA or any proposed CBA. No proposal from the NHLPA or NHL has called for the age of UFA status to be reduced to 24 years of age.

The proposal by the NHL for the new CBA calls for 5 years ELC contracts, 10 years before UFA and 5 year term limits on contracts.

The current CBA requires 3 year ELC, 7 accrued seasons or age of 27 years before attaining UFA status, and no real limit on contract lengths.

Hall does not become UFA at 24 years under any of these proposed or agreed to rules.

You were in a discussion with another poster and used the following 2 arguments for your position:

One: 5 year contracts would not be allowed in next CBA.
Two: Hall would be UFA @ 24 years old.

Your argument is not fact based. You conceded the first, re 5 year contract limit . You should fact check and do the same with this Hall turning UFA @ 24 years thing and move on.

Like I said earlier I recognise your love/ability to debate. I enjoy reading some of what you post. In this case facts don't add up. CBA is clear on these rules.

I only corrected your oversight in the interest of making sure CDC remains credible especially when a member references the CBA. As you know false referencing of the CBA causes a lot of confusion on CDC, particularly with the younger members who repeatedly make false fact based posts because they read them in one post made by a senior member who made a simple mistake. I make mistakes too, its not like I'm calling you out on an oversight or anything. Good Day.

Fair enough. I went to look at that portion of the CBA again myself as it had been a long time since I had, and I was going from what I thought I remembered. I remembered wrong. Thanks for the clarification about that particular part.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#133 Greene02

Greene02

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

I for one am looking forward to a competitive team from Alberta cause we all know the Flames will not be the dominant team from Alberta in the next 10 years lol.

If the cap goes down, it is very likely that players will also take a pay cut of a certain percentage. So it's not like the Oilers will have Hall, Eberle, RNH and Yakupov locked up at 24M and it will be using 50% of the cap space.

#134 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

If the cap goes down, it is very likely that players will also take a pay cut of a certain percentage. So it's not like the Oilers will have Hall, Eberle, RNH and Yakupov locked up at 24M and it will be using 50% of the cap space.

Exactly.. I don't see the Oilers having any trouble locking up all their young guns. Like you said If the cap goes down and it will there will have to be a rollback on all salaries, there's simply no other way to make it work. Its actually a very good timing to lock those guys down IMO.

I think its a very fair deal for both sides. The Oilers lock up one of their studs for the next 8 years and Hall gets to renegotiate another contract while still in the prime of his career and can pursue other options at that time if need be.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.