The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Stockpiling Draft Picks

In No Way, Is This a Rebuild, It Is Simply Preparing For The Future, While Staying Competitive

Now,What do you guys think about stockpilling draft picks for this year and opening up roster spots.

Now I don't know where the team's we trade with will finish but here is a rough idea of what we could do.

To FLA-Luongo,Raymond

To VAN-Ellerby,1st rd pick 2013 (10th OVR)

To TOR-Ballard,Hansen,Schroeder

To VAN-Colbourne,1st rd pick (7th OVR)

We then draft 25th after making a couragous run with our rookie goalie (Schneider)

We draft:

7th) Anthony Duclair, F, Quebec: Left Wing, 5'11, 180lbs, Shoots Right

63 GP 31G 35A 66P

10th) Jordan Subban, D, Belleville: Defence, 5'9, 170lbs, Shoots Right

53 GP 5G 15A 20P

25th) Johnathon Drouin, F, Halifax: Centre, 5'11, 180lbs, Shoots Left

33GP 7G 22A 29P

PLAYOFFS: 17GP 9G 17A 26P

Essentially: We trade

Luongo,Hansen,Raymond,Ballard, and Schroeder

and pick up

Duclair,Subban,Drouin,Colbourne and Ellerby

Please let me know what you guys think, and if the value is fair. Colboune could always be taken away or switched for another prospect, but I really think this could spark a new dynasty for the Canucks. One to follow under Kesler,Edler,Hamhuis and Bieksa's leadership once the twins are gone.

Why do people not like this idea? You're only looking at the bad of it but not the good. The good part is that we have a very poor prospect pool. With these trades, we gain 5 top-talent prospects and would bolster our prospect pool greatly.

You guys are missing the bigger picture

We don't give up any major pieces besides Lu and Hansen. Lu is replaced by Schneider and Hansen is replaced by Kassian on the 3rd line. We also have Volpatti and Pinnizotto working their way up the depth chart so we don't really lose anything. Ballard can be replaced as well by K-Conn or a cheap veteran defenceman that is still on the market like Foster or Colaiacovo.

Bottom line is we hardly lose any ground, making a run for the cup while at the same time improving our future exponentially. Colbourne and Ellerby are both likely to make the NHL this year as it is

So please, reconsider this proposal and think about the future and keeping up with the Oilers and Avalanche rather than becoming the Flames of the division. We would still be the most competitive team in the divison anyways because we will not have lost a top 6 forward, any top 4 D-Men and our goalie is set to take the league by storm.

Might as well do something to try to maintain their ability to win...rather than wait until the window is closed shut and have to fully rebuild. I don't ever want this team to have to rebuild from the ground up like the Coilers have TRIED.

I want to be excited about having a few really good prospects and not just a bunch of hopefuls...and if it can be done with minimal impact, why is anyone against the OP's idea at all? Give your heads a shake if you aren't on board with this or something similar.

This is what our top 5 prospects look like right now

1) Kassian

2) Tanev

3) Jensen

4) Schroeder

5) Connauton

This is what our top 10 prospects would look like after the trades

1) Kassian

2) Tanev

3) Jensen

4) Colbourne

5) Ellerby

6) Dunclair

7) Subban

8) Drouin

9) Schroeder

10) Connauton

So tell me, which one would you rather have? The one that won't help us stay competitive, or the one that helps us stay competitive for the next 10-15 year?

I like it. Don't mind what some of these guys are writing. They wanna call it a rebuild, I rather call it a reload. Nothing wrong with having a good future. Plus the only guy we really give up in Hansen. Luo is as good as gone anyways and I don't care much for Raymond and Ballard. My one problem with what you're proposing is those 3 draft pick guys are all very small. Not saying they're not gonna be good but I rather not draft 3 guys all under 6 feet tall.

Archived