Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Proposal] Stockpiling Draft Picks

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#1 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

In No Way, Is This a Rebuild, It Is Simply Preparing For The Future, While Staying Competitive

Now,What do you guys think about stockpilling draft picks for this year and opening up roster spots.
Now I don't know where the team's we trade with will finish but here is a rough idea of what we could do.

To FLA-Luongo,Raymond
To VAN-Ellerby,1st rd pick 2013 (10th OVR)

To TOR-Ballard,Hansen,Schroeder
To VAN-Colbourne,1st rd pick (7th OVR)

We then draft 25th after making a couragous run with our rookie goalie (Schneider)

We draft:

7th) Anthony Duclair, F, Quebec: Left Wing, 5'11, 180lbs, Shoots Right
63 GP 31G 35A 66P

10th) Jordan Subban, D, Belleville: Defence, 5'9, 170lbs, Shoots Right
53 GP 5G 15A 20P

25th) Johnathon Drouin, F, Halifax: Centre, 5'11, 180lbs, Shoots Left
33GP 7G 22A 29P
PLAYOFFS: 17GP 9G 17A 26P

Essentially: We trade
Luongo,Hansen,Raymond,Ballard, and Schroeder
and pick up
Duclair,Subban,Drouin,Colbourne and Ellerby

Please let me know what you guys think, and if the value is fair. Colboune could always be taken away or switched for another prospect, but I really think this could spark a new dynasty for the Canucks. One to follow under Kesler,Edler,Hamhuis and Bieksa's leadership once the twins are gone.

Edited by Zoolander, 23 August 2012 - 12:29 PM.

My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#2 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:20 PM

Don't like it simply cause there's no need for us to stockpile picks - we wanna win the cup now.

Also, we'd be Montreal Canadians 2.0 with those picks....all under 6 feet :lol:

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#3 susraiders

susraiders

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:31 PM

When did we start rebuilding?

#4 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:33 PM

We're a contender now, our window to win is now, so there's no point in closing that window just so we potentially be better in the future.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#5 Jason Garrison

Jason Garrison

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:37 PM

We arent rebuilding, we are in a win now mentality.

JG
Posted Image
Credit to Henrik Sedin

My PS3 NHL 13 Be A GM Online League. LINK: http://forum.canucks...two-spots-left/

#6 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,487 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

Why do people not like this idea? You're only looking at the bad of it but not the good. The good part is that we have a very poor prospect pool. With these trades, we gain 5 top-talent prospects and would bolster our prospect pool greatly.

Edited by Steven Stamkos' Mullet, 22 August 2012 - 03:41 PM.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#7 kanucks1

kanucks1

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

:picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: I've never seen worse trade proposals in my entire life!!!! Luongo for ellerby and a first would be bad enough and then you add raymond???

Terrible!

Pcuzz :canucks:
Posted Image

CDC Fantasy League GM Chicago Blackhawks

#8 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:46 PM

:picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: I've never seen worse trade proposals in my entire life!!!! Luongo for ellerby and a first would be bad enough and then you add raymond???

Terrible!

Pcuzz :canucks:

Well what do you think Luongo is worth....He sure as hell isn't worth Huberdeau if that's what your thinking. Why not add something useful to the discussion instead of abusing the Facepalm emot.
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#9 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

You guys are missing the bigger picture

We don't give up any major pieces besides Lu and Hansen. Lu is replaced by Schneider and Hansen is replaced by Kassian on the 3rd line. We also have Volpatti and Pinnizotto working their way up the depth chart so we don't really lose anything. Ballard can be replaced as well by K-Conn or a cheap veteran defenceman that is still on the market like Foster or Colaiacovo.

Bottom line is we hardly lose any ground, making a run for the cup while at the same time improving our future exponentially. Colbourne and Ellerby are both likely to make the NHL this year as it is

So please, reconsider this proposal and think about the future and keeping up with the Oilers and Avalanche rather than becoming the Flames of the division. We would still be the most competitive team in the divison anyways because we will not have lost a top 6 forward, any top 4 D-Men and our goalie is set to take the league by storm.
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#10 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

Since when are we rebuilding?!?!

We are a contending team.... we do not need and should not want to compile draft picks just to improve our prospect pool
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#11 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,487 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

Since when are we rebuilding?!?!

We are a contending team.... we do not need and should not want to compile draft picks just to improve our prospect pool

This is what our top 5 prospects look like right now

1) Kassian
2) Tanev
3) Jensen
4) Connauton
5) Rodin

This is what our top 10 prospects would look like after the trades

1) Kassian
2) Tanev
3) Jensen
4) Colbourne
5) Ellerby
6) Dunclair
7) Subban
8) Drouin
9) Connauton
10) Rodin

So tell me, which one would you rather have? The one that won't help us stay competitive, or the one that helps us stay competitive for the next 10-15 year?

Edited by Steven Stamkos' Mullet, 22 August 2012 - 09:19 PM.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

#12 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

Don't like it simply cause there's no need for us to stockpile picks - we wanna win the cup now.

Also, we'd be Montreal Canadians 2.0 with those picks....all under 6 feet :lol:

There are many other choices if you don't like those picks....keep in mind they're all 17years old and will keep growing until they are about 21.

Also, we would not be "rebuilding" we would simply be adding some much needed insurance for the team's future. This would be other line-up with the trades.

......for the hell of it, I'll include Doan seeing as how every person on this site does the same in every proposal.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Doan
Higgins-Lapierre-Kassian
Weise-Malholtra-Volpatti/Pinnizotto
***as well as Colbourne***

Edler-Garrison
Bieksa-Hamhuis
Tanev-Ellerby (6'3, 205lbs,from BC)

Schneider
Lack

That doesn't look that weak to me...in fact, it has some much needed youth added as well
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#13 RonMexico

RonMexico

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:29 PM

Might as well do something to try to maintain their ability to win...rather than wait until the window is closed shut and have to fully rebuild. I don't ever want this team to have to rebuild from the ground up like the Coilers have TRIED.

I want to be excited about having a few really good prospects and not just a bunch of hopefuls...and if it can be done with minimal impact, why is anyone against the OP's idea at all? Give your heads a shake if you aren't on board with this or something similar.

#14 gwarrior

gwarrior

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:31 PM

if we were looking to re build, id say go for it. but thats not the case, theres no real need to stockpile picks right now.

#15 Jason Garrison

Jason Garrison

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:31 PM

This is what our top 5 prospects look like right now

1) Kassian
2) Tanev
3) Jensen
4) Schroeder
5) Connauton

1) Kassian
2) Tanev
3) Jensen
4) Colbourne
5) Ellerby
6) Dunclair
7) Subban
8) Drouin
9) Schroeder
10) Connauton

So tell me, which one would you rather have? The one that won't help us stay competitive, or the one that helps us stay competitive for the next 10-15 year?

Of course I would want the better prospects. But thats just not happening.

JG
Posted Image
Credit to Henrik Sedin

My PS3 NHL 13 Be A GM Online League. LINK: http://forum.canucks...two-spots-left/

#16 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:38 PM

if we were looking to re build, id say go for it. but thats not the case, theres no real need to stockpile picks right now.

...my gawd kid...it's not a rebuild...it's just being smart

In no way are we blowing the team up and starting from scratch...

Did you just read the Title and decide to post a comment without even reading the thread?
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#17 TACIC

TACIC

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:52 PM

me love the proposal
AUmxe4h.gif
Credit to JimLahey for this awesome sig

TACIC

Yes i am a Leafs fan too, DEAL WITH IT!!

Go Canucks Go!

#18 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:06 PM

me love the proposal

Thanks, hopefully more people will see this thread and think the same :canucks: ::D
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#19 FS91

FS91

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:48 PM

would think we could get more for luongo and raymond

Maybe Ellerby, Mathias, 1st

#20 Schnieds

Schnieds

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:56 PM

I like it. Don't mind what some of these guys are writing. They wanna call it a rebuild, I rather call it a reload. Nothing wrong with having a good future. Plus the only guy we really give up in Hansen. Luo is as good as gone anyways and I don't care much for Raymond and Ballard. My one problem with what you're proposing is those 3 draft pick guys are all very small. Not saying they're not gonna be good but I rather not draft 3 guys all under 6 feet tall.

Edited by Schnieds, 22 August 2012 - 07:57 PM.

#21 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:56 PM

Posted Image

/=S=/

#22 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,487 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:57 PM

I like it. Don't mind what some of these guys are writing. They wanna call it a rebuild, I rather call it a reload. Nothing wrong with having a good future. Plus the only guy we really give up in Hansen. Luo is gone anyways and I don't care much for Raymond and Ballard. My one problem with what you're proposing is those 3 draft pick guys are all very small. Not saying they're not gonna be good but I rather not draft 3 guys all under 6 feet tall.

They'll eventually grow to be 6'0"+ and 200lbs+. They're only 17 mind you.

#23 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

You lost me at Hansen and Schroeder!

No chance to the Toronto deal and no thanks to the Florida deal, unless they add Matthias.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#24 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,487 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:49 PM

No chance to the Toronto deal and no thanks to the Florida deal, unless they add Matthias.

If we're getting two top-10 picks. If Luongo, Hansen, Schroeder, Raymond and Ballard are all it takes I'll do those deals in a heartbeat.

Edited by Steven Stamkos' Mullet, 22 August 2012 - 08:49 PM.

#25 kanucks1

kanucks1

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:56 PM

We need more for the Luongo trade but I do like the Toronto trade a bit.

If we were rebuilding it would be good but not yet.

Thx
Pcuzz
Posted Image

CDC Fantasy League GM Chicago Blackhawks

#26 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:59 PM

Bro, that trade gives Toronto some key pieces that there missing. Nevermind goaltending, Ballard gives them a top 4 D-Man they can lay the big hit/hip-check and jump in on the Rush, Hansen gives a much needed energy boost to their line-up. Schroeder gives them an American-born playmaker...something Burke is very keen on. My guess is they would definately consider it, and if you read the WHOLE thread, you'd see I said that Colbourne could be switched out for another prospect.

As for the Florida deal, we don't have much leverage and 2 defensive prospects for an underachieving forward and an aging goalie seems pretty good to me.
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#27 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,771 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:16 PM

9) Schroeder

So tell me, which one would you rather have?
The one that won't help us stay competitive, or the one that helps us stay competitive for the next 10-15 year?

What? Schroeder would be traded

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#28 Jason Garrison

Jason Garrison

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

We dont need picks atm. Our window is closing.

JG
Posted Image
Credit to Henrik Sedin

#29 Mollyworld

Mollyworld

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:01 PM

Bro, that trade gives Toronto some key pieces that there missing. Nevermind goaltending, Ballard gives them a top 4 D-Man they can lay the big hit/hip-check and jump in on the Rush, Hansen gives a much needed energy boost to their line-up. Schroeder gives them an American-born playmaker...something Burke is very keen on. My guess is they would definately consider it, and if you read the WHOLE thread, you'd see I said that Colbourne could be switched out for another prospect.

As for the Florida deal, we don't have much leverage and 2 defensive prospects for an underachieving forward and an aging goalie seems pretty good to me.

No way TO considers that. For a start they are loaded on D, on the farm, in the minors and on the big club. Another thing that TO is loaded with is 3rd/4th line energy guys throughout the system. And Schroeder is still up in the air as to his NHL future, so why would they give up a (as you say) 7th overall which is pretty much guaranteed to be a legit NHLer and Colborne whose potential is probably a little better than Schroeder's.

#30 ridez

ridez

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:23 AM

Good job drafting midgets. Failsauce

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.