The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Stockpiling Draft Picks

I like it. Don't mind what some of these guys are writing. They wanna call it a rebuild, I rather call it a reload. Nothing wrong with having a good future. Plus the only guy we really give up in Hansen. Luo is gone anyways and I don't care much for Raymond and Ballard. My one problem with what you're proposing is those 3 draft pick guys are all very small. Not saying they're not gonna be good but I rather not draft 3 guys all under 6 feet tall.

Bro, that trade gives Toronto some key pieces that there missing. Nevermind goaltending, Ballard gives them a top 4 D-Man they can lay the big hit/hip-check and jump in on the Rush, Hansen gives a much needed energy boost to their line-up. Schroeder gives them an American-born playmaker...something Burke is very keen on. My guess is they would definately consider it, and if you read the WHOLE thread, you'd see I said that Colbourne could be switched out for another prospect.

As for the Florida deal, we don't have much leverage and 2 defensive prospects for an underachieving forward and an aging goalie seems pretty good to me.

im not going to bash you like the others but i too think its a bad idea. The main reasons being.. Getting rid of hansen is a bad idea as he is not replacable. to get a guy like him signed to a contract like that you have to draft and develop them yourself. he brings it every single shift and is the exact type of player you want on your 3rd line going into the playoffs. saying kassian just takes over is wrong because he is still too young and prone to mistakes. getting a guy like hansen in fa your looking at sean bergenheim money. weve got hansen signed at fair value and that is hard to do these days and opens up cap space for depth.

other thing is you have just improved toronto big time so i dont see them seeding that low. hansen is going to give their penalty killing a huge boost and ballard is going to improve their defense. we also swap centre prospects and we dont know wich one will be better yet. so basically we gamble this years playoffs by giving up 2 good roster players that will improve toronto and hope they do really bad for a slim chance at a top 10 pick

same thing goes with the florida deal. theyre not giving up major roster pieces so luongo is going to get them to the playoffs for sure. they just had their first taste of the playoffs and theyre hungry for more. also any one of those kids can break out at anytime so this is a team that can only go up. theres no way we get a top 10 pick there. youd be looking at ellerby and a mid to late pick. i dont see that as fair value. we also give up raymond for nothing, he alone is worth a pick that we can stockpile.

i agree we should try and get a few picks this year but were not getting top 10s. i would try and get a first back in the lu deal for sure but also a guy that can help us win now. we have the team that can do it but if u take out hansen ballard and raymond our chances go way down.

I think MG said he wanted to get young, faster, and BIGGER!!!. Under 6ft is not bigger.

Just for fun...

Luongo + Raymond to FLA for...

Matthais: 24yr 6'4" 220lbs C - should do well as our 3rd line centre.

Howden: 20yr 6'2" 182lbs LW/C - prospect top 6 potential

Petrovic: 20yr 6'4" 193lbs D - prospect physical defender

Ballard to PHI for...

Noebels: 20yr 6'3" 200lbs LW - prospect top 6 potential

Lauridsen: 23yr 6'6" 220lbs D - prospect shutdown defender

AND if Edler is asking for crazy money....

Edler to WSH for...

Forsberg: 18yr 6'2" 181lbs LW/RW - prospect top 6 potential

Wilson: 18yr 6'4" 203lbs RW - prospect top 6 potential power forward

It's been a long summer...meh...

Archived