The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Article: NHL wants to get rid of diving

Peaches

As a Scot who was keen on football (soccer) I feel that diving and cheating has ruined a great game...............Spain and Barcelona in particular have made it into an art form with the connivance of the European referees.

Basically they have devised a game where they hold onto the ball by turning their back on the opponent. Then when any kind of tackle is made by the opponent to regain possession they fall over.........this soon culminates in an opponent being booked/sent off and eventually the oposition team refrain from tackling altogether.

Of course then when you deny tackling you encourage all the other more sneaky forms of taking the ball off the man in possession. So it becomes a vicious circle.

Skillful, hard tackling used to be as much of a skill in soccer as passing sjhooting and dribbling ...........but by taking it out, the game has become boring.

I hope Hockey NEVER goes down this route.........

While a league-wide list is a good start, the players already know who the big-time divers are. And the divers will just become better at it. You won't see as many mini-hops, or pirouettes witha full twist, but players will go down just as easily when they get that tug in the mid-section, or can sense a stick in their feet.

I would push for suspensions. You have a panel of retired players, have like 7 of them to choose from, pre-select whose vote will actually count - say 5 votes (this will eliminate potential bias). Majority rules... if the infraction is deemed to be a dive, and wasn't caught in-game, it's a 1 game suspension. Larger suspensions to repeat offenders as well.

It's only when players start hurting their teams, and their pocketbooks that diving will actually stop. As it stands, more often than not, a dive results in a power play for your team, at worst a 4 on 4 situation. It's very rare that only a dive is called.

Want to get rid of diving? Call all penalties.

Right now the game is ruled by opinion rather then law. This should not be, just call penalties all the time they are seen and the diving will go to a bare minimum.

I think Edmonton with Tikanen and all his theatrics (the ultimate cheap shot, pest, antogonist, diver) was the reason the original offsetting minors creating a 4 on 4 was ditched?

4 on 4 against the Oilers was the kiss of death!

This......

Sometimes it looks like part trip and part dive, so what they should do is call coincidentals and NOT give either team a powerplay.

The diver I disrespect most is Joe Thornton. 230 lb dude who face washes guys then dives?

Remember his BS with Hank at centre ice. And he dives to avoid actually putting some effort in. Marchand is not far behind because he's annoying, but at least he (and Kesler) play hard. Joe thornton; what a wanker!

Archived