The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Manny Malhotra appreciation thread

Peaches

Manny is a very important player who doesnt get full credit when you consider the situations he plays in. His first year with Torres and Hansen he would be matched up against top centermen in defensive draws over and over. I was so impressed with his ability to force offensive zone draws, which also helped the Sedins to be put in an offensive situation. I dont think we will see Hank or Danny with point totals like they had in their respective art ross years if Manny cant recover, although im confident he can.

I thought Malhotra's play was underrated last season. People didn't notice him as much due to his reduced role. I thought he played better as the year went on. Of course he is clearly overpaid, and he doesn't make as much of an impact as he did before his injury. But a lot of people make it seem like he was completely useless out there, when he wasn't. His goals per 60 minutes even strength actually went up. He gets put in the toughest situations and is used in an almost completely defensive role, so of course his goals, assists, and +/- will be weak. The job he does may not get noticed very much, but he still does it and should get more credit.

Thank you for this thread!

I just don't understand why most people all of a sudden dislike Manny. Maybe it's the thought process of most Canuck fans around here...

During the '10/'11 season, and playoffs, Manny was considered a demi-God in Vancouver, despite the fact that he wasn't even playing. Fans started the "Do It For Manny" campaign, conversation involving Manny was always positive, and does anyone remember the ovation he got in Game 2 vs. Boston? Everyone loved him, the chants proved it!!!

Then he comes back this past year, after a career-threatening injury, underachieves, and all of a sudden it's time to "TRADE MANNY", "MALHOTRA SUCKS", "BOOOOOO MALHOTRA"....quite honestly, I don't see why. He is one of the top 5 face-off men in the league, very responsible defensively, and he's shown he can score timely goals. He's a leader in the community, and a leader on the ice. He plays very well, considering his role. Malhotra is my favorite Canuck, so maybe this is a bit of a biased post, but my opinion stands.

#malhotraformayor :bigblush:

:canucks::canucks::canucks:

Malhotra is a leader on and off the ice and that is exactly the type of attitude the team should demonstrate.

He is an excellent mentor and no doubt the younger players (and maybe even some of the veterans) benefit from his presence.

He works hard and here's hoping he can have a bounce back year. He is the type of guy you want to see good things happen to because he is totally humble and supportive.

Manny bring the cup home!

For 2+ million, he should be putting up at least 10 goals, 10 assists and be a plus-player (on a very dominant plus-team). Instead he didn't even crack the 10 goal mark last season and was one of the worst +/- players in the league, amongst guys from teams like Edmonton and Columbus which is a disgrace.

I understand the eye injury is a seriously debilitating one, but if he can't get back to a 20-30 point season next year and back in the pluses then he's got to go.

Manny is awesome!!  2.5 mil... pfsshhh He knows his role and he plays it well, he wins those defensive zone faceoffs then gets off the ice for the top guys to maximize their offensive potential and he helps kill penalties, we need players who are willing to do this for our team, not many players are willing to accept roles and want to be the man and here you have one who is willing to do that and more.  His studies on faceoffs alone not many players can compete with this guy.  As someone said before he brings valuable leadership to this team and does charity work.  Aces

Archived