Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Manny Malhotra appreciation thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#31 TACIC

TACIC

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:40 PM

I think he is great as a person and a player but would be good trade bait :(

Malhotra for Art Ross :bigblush:
Posted Image
Credit to JimLahey for this awesome sig

TACIC

Yes i am a Leafs fan too, DEAL WITH IT!!

#32 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:20 PM

I thought Malhotra's play was underrated last season. People didn't notice him as much due to his reduced role. I thought he played better as the year went on. Of course he is clearly overpaid, and he doesn't make as much of an impact as he did before his injury. But a lot of people make it seem like he was completely useless out there, when he wasn't. His goals per 60 minutes even strength actually went up. He gets put in the toughest situations and is used in an almost completely defensive role, so of course his goals, assists, and +/- will be weak. The job he does may not get noticed very much, but he still does it and should get more credit.

#33 406281dylan

406281dylan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:06 PM

why isnt there a lapierre appreciation thread he donates 100g to the montreal childrens hospital every year

#34 six-0h-four-

six-0h-four-

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:19 PM

He's a bottom 6 centre, what are you expecting? Him to play on the first line? Every player has their role, and he is good at his. I expect with the offseason training, for him to have a better year, even if it's only on the third line.

Unless he has a bounce back year in 2012, I don't think there's a roster spot for him in 2013.

Regardless of whether or not it was because of his eye injury, he had a terrible season to say the least last year, and was getting scratched in key games. I think he does bring leadership and is generally a good guy, but is that worth 2.5 million? He isn't very big, doesn't make himself hard to play against, little to no offensive upside. He's good on faceoff's and defensively sound.

Essentially he should change his name to Ryan Johnson.
Follow me @CurtisEastman on Twitter.

#35 yogolol

yogolol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

why isnt there a lapierre appreciation thread he donates 100g to the montreal childrens hospital every year

Because Lapierre doesn't need an appreciation thread, we all love him.
Watch my hockey tributes! http://www.youtube.c...urjesuss/videos

#36 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:08 PM

Thank you for this thread!

I just don't understand why most people all of a sudden dislike Manny. Maybe it's the thought process of most Canuck fans around here...

During the '10/'11 season, and playoffs, Manny was considered a demi-God in Vancouver, despite the fact that he wasn't even playing. Fans started the "Do It For Manny" campaign, conversation involving Manny was always positive, and does anyone remember the ovation he got in Game 2 vs. Boston? Everyone loved him, the chants proved it!!!

Then he comes back this past year, after a career-threatening injury, underachieves, and all of a sudden it's time to "TRADE MANNY", "MALHOTRA SUCKS", "BOOOOOO MALHOTRA"....quite honestly, I don't see why. He is one of the top 5 face-off men in the league, very responsible defensively, and he's shown he can score timely goals. He's a leader in the community, and a leader on the ice. He plays very well, considering his role. Malhotra is my favorite Canuck, so maybe this is a bit of a biased post, but my opinion stands.

#malhotraformayor :bigblush:

:canucks: :canucks: :canucks:

/=S=/

#37 Pistachios

Pistachios

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:50 AM

Malhotra is a leader on and off the ice and that is exactly the type of attitude the team should demonstrate.

He is an excellent mentor and no doubt the younger players (and maybe even some of the veterans) benefit from his presence.

He works hard and here's hoping he can have a bounce back year. He is the type of guy you want to see good things happen to because he is totally humble and supportive.

Manny bring the cup home!

G4fSut.gif

#38 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,208 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:03 AM

For 2+ million, he should be putting up at least 10 goals, 10 assists and be a plus-player (on a very dominant plus-team). Instead he didn't even crack the 10 goal mark last season and was one of the worst +/- players in the league, amongst guys from teams like Edmonton and Columbus which is a disgrace.

I understand the eye injury is a seriously debilitating one, but if he can't get back to a 20-30 point season next year and back in the pluses then he's got to go.
Posted Image

#39 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:06 AM

Manny doesn't have the potential to be a solid 3rd line checking center anymore but as you said he is a great leader and great guy for that matter.... he deserves a spot at LW on the 4th line

Let's just not write him off yet. He missed a hell of a lot of ice time and pre-season. That will affect any player. Look at Kes and MR.

None of us here have any idea what his sight is like. He has had multiple procedures and every time I watch that goal above I ask myself "Could someone with defective vision score a goal like that?"

The hand eye co-ordination to score that goal would surely have to be exceptional.

I am a big Manny fan and I want him to get the maximum possible chance on this team and not just as a 4th liner either. He is still 3rd line calibre and all he needs imo is to get his confidence back. We can help him there (or at least those who are fortunate enough to attend games) by getting right behind him and cheering him every time he is on the ice.

Are we such hypocrites that we have already forgotten the MANNY MANNY reception he got by our fans.

I have a theory. It's a faith/karma thing and it worries me quite a bit. It is we as a fan base won't see a SC here because we are far too quick to savage our own players. We always think the new thing will be better and then wonder why we are disappointed.

No we are NOT the perfect team but a great many of our fans don't seem to realise that we don't have players on this team who are not tough, we don't have players who don't give 100% all the time and we don't have players who deserve anything less than total respect from our fans.

Hating ANY of our players, or continually finding fault with them WON'T get rid of them and will only hurt their confidence. Why not get behind all the players ALL the time. Leave it to the people who's jobs depend on it to offload or trade away those they consider surplus to requirements.

This team is no different from other teams in that it continues to evolve. It's a much better experience to just sit back and enjoy it than to continually pick on players.
I really liked Sami........but he's gone. I even liked Rome........he's gone too. I think the world of Lu and it looks like he's leaving.

I will always feel able to criticise team performances and even signings and trades but if the player is picked and in the team I will support him, without judging him unfairly, even players I'm not keen on.

Edited by Bodee, 24 August 2012 - 02:08 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#40 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:53 AM

Manny is awesome!!  2.5 mil... pfsshhh He knows his role and he plays it well, he wins those defensive zone faceoffs then gets off the ice for the top guys to maximize their offensive potential and he helps kill penalties, we need players who are willing to do this for our team, not many players are willing to accept roles and want to be the man and here you have one who is willing to do that and more.  His studies on faceoffs alone not many players can compete with this guy.  As someone said before he brings valuable leadership to this team and does charity work.  Aces

Edited by HaggisOBrien, 24 August 2012 - 02:53 AM.

#41 ilovekevinbieksa

ilovekevinbieksa

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:48 AM

I agree with all of your facts.
I think MG gave him 2.5m mostly because he's just a great guy and does a lot of charity work
Posted Image (One duplicate gif removed by mod to meet size limitations)

#42 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

I think that he's probably one of/best guys we got two years ago. But the eye injury made a difference and with the up and coming guys I could see him being traded.
Posted Image

#43 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:52 PM

He was in the running for the Seilke two years ago before the eye injury. He is only 32!
Last year was finding his way back into the lineup, this year he just may be our best option for second line center until Kesler get's back.
It all depends on if he can get used to dealing with the limited vision and presumably depth perception.
I am pulling for him that's for sure.

#44 petrov

petrov

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:24 AM

Malhotra has the worst REL Corsi in the NHL!!!!!!!! He is always on the ice when other teams are scoring and getting scoring chances. Faceoffs mean nothing if you are a liability after the puck drops, which he is!!!

#45 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,551 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:12 AM

Malhotra has the worst REL Corsi in the NHL!!!!!!!! He is always on the ice when other teams are scoring and getting scoring chances. Faceoffs mean nothing if you are a liability after the puck drops, which he is!!!

Malhotra also took the most defensive zone draws in the league

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#46 sharkfinsoup

sharkfinsoup

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:52 PM

Manny is a very important player who doesnt get full credit when you consider the situations he plays in. His first year with Torres and Hansen he would be matched up against top centermen in defensive draws over and over. I was so impressed with his ability to force offensive zone draws, which also helped the Sedins to be put in an offensive situation. I dont think we will see Hank or Danny with point totals like they had in their respective art ross years if Manny cant recover, although im confident he can.

I think this basically explains it.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.