Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

AP Exclusive: Lance Armstrong Won't Fight USADA Charges - could lose all TDF titles

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

The evidence they have is testimony from other riders, but if he was using drugs, why didn't they show up on the hundreds of drug tests he took?

Masking agents.
Posted Image

#32 OrdinaryBoy

OrdinaryBoy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:39 PM

Masking agents.

Wouldn't the masking agents show up, then?
Speaking as a unitiated member of the public, it seems ridiculous that with no corporeal evidence that Lance had taken drugs (indeed, with hundreds of tests arguing towards the contrary) they can call him guilty.
Innocent until proven guilty doesn't apply?

#33 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

Wouldn't the masking agents show up, then?
Speaking as a unitiated member of the public, it seems ridiculous that with no corporeal evidence that Lance had taken drugs (indeed, with hundreds of tests arguing towards the contrary) they can call him guilty.
Innocent until proven guilty doesn't apply?

No, if the masking agents worked, they would have masked the drugs he used and the tests would come up clean.

The presumption of innocence applies to criminal trials. Lance Armstrong is not facing a criminal trial though. If he continued his fight, he would have to gone on the record to say that he didn't use PEDs. He probably knew it would have been bold faced lie which could lead to perjury charges.

Eyewitness evidence is not good enough for you?

Edited by The Situation, 25 August 2012 - 08:53 PM.

Posted Image

#34 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:31 AM

Shouldn't eye witness testimony be reserved for situations where it's the best-case scenario though? It's not considered to be an iron-clad form of evidence because humans are easily tampered with, and let's be honest, sometimes very weak morally. If we lived in a world where there was no way to measure whether or not Lance doped, like where the only true way of settling it was eye-witness testimony, than it would have more value. By having rigidly enforced rules relating to blood/urine sampling at various intervals, you've set your expectation for acquiring proof. Since burden of proof is on the accuser, USADA should be using the same units to measure innocence across the board.

He probably did it, at some point. All that being said, the guys who stands to inherit, on paper, the Tour De France titles each of those 7 years he'll vacate it, will not be going through a witch hunt to determine whether or not they placed 2nd only as a result of PEDs and masking agents. Because it's infinitely more important to the USADA to make sure that everyone knows that, no matter how hard you work, you could never be that good without drugs. It's more important to make Armstrong look human than anything.

Edited by Coleman26, 26 August 2012 - 10:36 AM.

#35 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:30 PM

He really dropped the ball.
Posted Image

#36 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:35 PM

Today the US anti-doping agency released its report. It is more than 1000 page long and has 26 witnesses saying Armstrong was doping and in fact he pressured others to dope.

http://www.news.com....9-1226493812677

So ALL 26 witnesses are lying and everything in the report is false?

Is it time he comes clean?

#37 Gally

Gally

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,457 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

What a d bag I looked up to that guy as a kid. I got to meet him in a cancer fundraiser because my dad died of cancer. Frack you Lance.

1zcq151.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

my mom wouldn't let me touch the laptop because I have to stand after I eat....kinda stupid

#38 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,012 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:56 AM

really pissed that someone i admired is just a cheat .

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#39 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:06 AM

really pissed that someone i admired is just a cheat .

Can you really blame him considering all the money he has pumped into cancer research as a result?
Posted Image

#40 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:12 AM

I'll never feel the same way about Dodgeball again.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#41 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,012 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:38 AM

Can you really blame him considering all the money he has pumped into cancer research as a result?

While i applaud his charity work , that has no bearing on the fact that he cheated , and has helped bring a sport that millions love into disrepute.

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#42 SN -Admin

SN -Admin

The Admin

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:36 AM

So cheating's ok as long as you make donations? Good to know.

#43 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:40 AM

There's something wrong with what you've stated. Are you saying that he's OK, because of his charitable accolades? I would say most of his brand is now corrupt, because of this scandal. Using a charity, and cheating is wrong. If, say for example, he never came close to winning one, let alone seven Tours, would his name ever raise a fraction of that money? Not likely.

#44 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

So cheating's ok as long as you make donations? Good to know.

I didn't say that. I simply asked a question as I struggle to villify him considering how many people he has helped and how much money he(and his brand) has raised for cancer. At least he has used his fame(now infamy) to do some good, no?

There's something wrong with what you've stated. Are you saying that he's OK, because of his charitable accolades? I would say most of his brand is now corrupt, because of this scandal. Using a charity, and cheating is wrong. If, say for example, he never came close to winning one, let alone seven Tours, would his name ever raise a fraction of that money? Not likely.

He cheated and for that he should be stripped of his titles and his legacy as a cyclist will forever be tarnished, rightly so. But, in my opinion, that does not tarnish the work he has put in to a very worthy cause.

Edited by pimpcurtly, 17 October 2012 - 02:45 PM.

Posted Image

#45 sam13371337

sam13371337

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:03 AM

I didn't say that. I simply asked a question as I struggle to villify him considering how many people he has helped and how much money he(and his brand) has raised for cancer. At least he has used his fame(now infamy) to do some good, no?

He cheated and for that he should be stripped of his titles and his legacy as a cyclist will forever be tarnished, rightly so. But, in my opinion, that does not tarnish the work he has put in to a very worthy cause.

got to love some people who will let all evils pass by, so long as the individual is helping charity on the side.

lance armstrong is a fraud who used his charity as a way to keep a squeeky clean image so no one would suspect the MASSIVE doping conspiracy he was involved in.

he has forever destroyed the sport of cycling, destroyed the hopes of future cyclists hoping to make it, ruined the careers of teamates, cheated legit cyclists who were robbed of a chance to fulfill their dreams...

why is it all about lance? why should it be ok that so many people, and an entire sport got screwed; just because the person responsible built up a good image through his on the side charity work?

also, the fact that in light of all this he still refuses to confess/apologize has really showed his true character
Fire MG

#46 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,125 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:44 AM

Where there's smoke, there's usually fire.

Lance is in huge trouble and his reputation is now tarnished regardless if he's proven to be innocent.
Posted Image

#47 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

got to love some people who will let all evils pass by, so long as the individual is helping charity on the side.

Please, tell me where I said that. You can't honestly be that dense. I said, at least he used his fame to do some good....which does not equal "let all his evils pass by." Use your head, buddy.
Posted Image

#48 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

Looks like it's becoming reality that Lance is losing all the accolades garnered during his career... what a shame that he had to be caught cheating :picard:

Sure hope Phelps and Bolt didn't cheat in their sports

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#49 lmm

lmm

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

Looks like it's becoming reality that Lance is losing all the accolades garnered during his career... what a shame that he had to be caught cheating :picard:

Sure hope Phelps and Bolt didn't cheat in their sports

And Johnson
And Maguire and Clemons
and Mario

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.