The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Jamie Benn or Evander Kane?

Pears

These two, young, BC Boys are currently RFA's without a new contract yet. So in a hypothetical situation if you had the opportunity to pick one of them, and the GM's of both teams wouldn't match an offer sheet, which one would you take, and how long would you sign him for and how much per year?

I would say Benn. Skill wise they are both awesome players, and will likely grow into stars. I choose Benn simply because of the off ice antics - or lack there of.

While I don't believe everything that has been said of Kane, where there's smoke, there's usually fire, and the way the team has been built - that kind of attitude won't fit in (see SOB).

Benn seems quite (possibly due to lack of media coverage) and the fact that he was a late bloom should give him some more humility.

OP, the question should be how much to offer sheet and have a realistic shot at being succesful

A couple of ppl have said $4.5 mill on a long term deal. This is not going to happen. So there is no point discussing this scenario.

Otherwise I say Benn for league minimum. Approx $600 k per year for 15 years.

So a realistic offer that has a chance to succeed would be a heavily front loaded bonus laden contract. AAS would be at least $6+ mill with a first year bonus of $10 million or so.

With DAL struggling financially it might be tough for them to match a guaranteed $20+ million in a calebdar year with a possible lockout season.

When you look at who owns the Stars now and their history with the Canucks they would pbbly match a realistic offer from VAN.

So the only offer sheet that works might be for Kane, therefore I would target him.

6 years 40 million with $13 mill per year the first 2 years out of which $10 mill per year would be signing bonus.

So Kane gets $20 million in one calendar year before he is eligible to be traded according to CBA, lockout or no lockout. WPG might not match that.

Not a question in my mind Benn over Kane. If Benn was 5 mil a year and Kane was 4 I'd still take Benn. Benn is a better and more versatile player who just keeps improving. Kane is...very good. I've got nothing really bad to say about him in terms of the on ice product. Benn quite simply imo is just a better hockey player with way less exposure and way more smarts.

Having said that any team is lucky to have either one of them...on the ice.

Benn at 5 mil for 3 years.

Benn in a heartbeat. Watched the guy develop with the Rockets first hand. I live in Kelowna and had season tickets for one of the seasons Benn was in Kelowna. He's the next Iginla in my opinion. A tough and skilled leader.

Why do people refer to Kane as a power forward? The guy isn't big at all. A couple guys I know got their picture with Kane in Vancouver not too long ago and if you showed this picture to someone that had no clue about hockey and asked who is the dominant physical specimen here, it would be a complete crap shoot. You know, that's what a power forward is suppose to be after all.

Why do people refer to Kane as a power forward? The guy isn't big at all. A couple guys I know got their picture with Kane in Vancouver not too long ago and if you showed this picture to someone that had no clue about hockey and asked who is the dominant physical specimen here, it would be a complete crap shoot. You know, that's what a power forward is suppose to be after all.

Archived