The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shootings reported outside Empire State Building

nuckin_futz

Shootings reported outside Empire State Building

A gunman believed to be responsible in the shooting of at least five people in front of the Empire State Building in New York was shot and killed by police, New York police reported.

Authorities converged on the building around 9 a.m. after reports of gunfire.

Additional details were not immediately available.

What was a yearly thing is now a monthly thing. This is not progress

shootings in NYC were only a once a year thing? last year there were 860 gun related murders in NY state, that must have been one scary day.

pretty sure gun violence is not allowed anywhere... could you ell me where it IS allowed? i want to make sure I never visit there.

happens all the time in big cities, you are just starting to hear about it because there is nothing else going on in the world. When I lived in Chicago it would be a rare day when there was only a single shooting, even rarer was a day without a shooting. What wasn't rare was a day where there was multiple shootings, or where 5+ people were shot in a single incident. these things aren't new, or increasing in frequency, just increasing in coverage.

According to Police Commissioner Ray Kelly, some of the victims may have been caught in the crossfire between police and the shooter. 2 dead including the shooter. 9 others were injured but none of them have life threatening injuries.

http://news.blogs.cn...ding/?hpt=hp_t1

Gunman Jeffrey Johnson, 53, killed one person before he was shot to death outside the busy tourist destination in Midtown Manhattan just after 9 a.m., Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said. In addition to being home to a popular tourist destination, the area is also a busy commercial district.

The victim was Johnson's former coworker at Hazan Imports, where Johnson was a designer of women's accessories until being laid off last year.

As Johnson attempted to flee the scene, a construction worker across the street alerted two police officers, who pursued him up West 33rd Street, Kelly said. As Johnson pulled a .45 caliber gun, the officers opened fire, killing Johnson on the scene.

Nine others were wounded in the exchange of gunfire, Kelly said. They were taken to local hospitals where they are expected to recover.

"Some may have been accidentally shot by police officers," Kelly said.

There seems like a big shooting in the US every week whats going on?

On another topic of guns my uncle just went out to deliver a load out to the bay area last week and he was telling me that he parked his truck somewhre and a guy just came up to his truck and knocked on his window.

When he opened the guy just held up an ak-47 and he thought he was dead, but instead of shooting he was actually trying to sell and he was just like $200 bucks and its yours. That's crazy I mean just acting like selling big firearms on the street is no big deal.

Archived