95 replies to this topic

#1 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:55 AM

Been meaning to ask this and some thread on here (can't remember which one) reminded me.

Act like I am a guy from Ukuleleia and thinking of coming over or whatever and I asked you "What does it mean to be Canadian?" How do you personally answer a question like that?

Edited by TimberWolf, 24 August 2012 - 08:56 AM.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#2 topbananas

topbananas

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:06 AM

it means you are from Canada.
stan smyl 2.0

Posted Yesterday, 09:07 AM

It's not 7.5 per year, Kesler's at 5 million and Malhotra's at 2.5 million

#3 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,351 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:07 AM

It means you drink beer and watch hockey.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#4 Vapourstreak

Vapourstreak

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:17 AM

Being fortunate enough to have citizenship of a country envied by most where I live right now.

#5 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:34 AM

It means you have a flag in your window, but you will complain about other provinces if they don't make as much money. It means you will wear a Canadian flag on your backpack when traveling but really you should wear your provincial crest on your forehead. If means you're "Ra ra Canada" until someone mentions that policies in your corner affect Canadians in provinces across the nation.

Patriots verbally, whiny "me first" attitude in action.

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#6 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:46 AM

Nothing really, patriotism is silly.

#7 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:46 AM

It means having the freedom to take a huge dump all over the country, in an eco-friendly manner of course.

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

#8 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

Posted Image

#9 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:17 AM

POPULAR

I’m just going to say how I see it and I’m prepared to feel the backlash.

To start with being Canadian means we’re some of the most privileged people on the planet who have access to roads, healthcare, education and relatively safe streets. I don’t think about it regularly, often taken it for granted that by being born here I really won the lottery of life and should be thankful and try harder to give back to the community. We have freedoms, opportunities, and lives and that a majority of the people in the world will never have access to and that only people in relatively recent history could have dreamt of.

All that being put aside the cultural identity of Canada is non-existent at best. What unites us as a country? Is it our love of hockey or our contempt for the way our neighbours to the south do things? Anecdotally I find that immigrants always identify with the place they come from and never seem to think of themselves as Canadian first. My mother moved here when she was four years old, she is now in her mid-60s, and if you were to ask who she identifies with she would respond with the country of her birth, the Netherlands.

I can’t speak for all of Canada but it seems like we’re a very segregated society based on economic, religious, and ethnic lines. Just the other day I heard that in Abbotsford all the white people live in the east part of the city (near the mountain) while the East Indian community live to the west. Perhaps this is unavoidable but such segregation I think encourages people to remain to not identify themselves as Canadians.

At work I had a Filipino co-worker who I consider a friend refer to me as a “real Canadian”. I’m Caucasian but I’m also a first generation Canadian while at least one of his parents were born here.

We’re a country built on the backs of immigrants who watches American television and celebrates a foreign monarchy on our currency. We only seem to come together when Men’s Olympic Gold in hockey or a Stanley Cup are on the line.

#10 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,010 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

Most importantly, it means you're not American...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#11 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:29 AM

To start with being Canadian means we’re some of the most privileged people on the planet who have access to roads, healthcare, education and relatively safe streets. I don’t think about it regularly, often taken it for granted that by being born here I really won the lottery of life and should be thankful and try harder to give back to the community. We have freedoms, opportunities, and lives and that a majority of the people in the world will never have access to and that only people in relatively recent history could have dreamt of.

All that being put aside the cultural identity of Canada is non-existent at best. What unites us as a country? Is it our love of hockey or our contempt for the way our neighbours to the south do things? Anecdotally I find that immigrants always identify with the place they come from and never seem to think of themselves as Canadian first. My mother moved here when she was four years old, she is now in her mid-60s, and if you were to ask who she identifies with she would respond with the country of her birth, the Netherlands.

I can’t speak for all of Canada but it seems like we’re a very segregated society based on economic, religious, and ethnic lines. Just the other day I heard that in Abbotsford all the white people live in the east part of the city (near the mountain) while the East Indian community live to the west. Perhaps this is unavoidable but such segregation I think encourages people to remain to not identify themselves as Canadians.

At work I had a Filipino co-worker who I consider a friend refer to me as a “real Canadian”. I’m Caucasian but I’m also a first generation Canadian while at least one of his parents were born here.

We’re a country built on the backs of immigrants who watches American television and celebrates a foreign monarchy on our currency. We only seem to come together when Men’s Olympic Gold in hockey or a Stanley Cup are on the line.

I don't think you've said anything that deserves backlash. Although when you say 'some of the most privilidged', that some is a pretty big group. All of western europe, the US, Australia, and huge pockets of the rest of the world are as wealthy as Canada. I'd guess the average Canadian is about as well off as 20% of the world.

#12 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

Anecdotally I find that immigrants always identify with the place they come from and never seem to think of themselves as Canadian first. My mother moved here when she was four years old, she is now in her mid-60s, and if you were to ask who she identifies with she would respond with the country of her birth, the Netherlands.

The only part of your entire post I have to take issue with is the 'always'.

My mother is also from Holland. She moved here when she was two, and if you asked here who she identifies with, it would be Canada, without any hesitation. The same goes for her sisters and her parents.

My grandfather on my dad's side, came from Scotland. I would say the exact same thing about him.
Posted Image

#13 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

The only part of your entire post I have to take issue with is the 'always'.

My mother is also from Holland. She moved here when she was two, and if you asked here who she identifies with, it would be Canada, without any hesitation. The same goes for her sisters and her parents.

My grandfather on my dad's side, came from Scotland. I would say the exact same thing about him.

My commie friends who've grown up here like I did all identify themselves as Canadian, none were born here. My best friend cheers for Canada in hockey over Russia even. Can't imagine his reaction if someone told him that during high school 15 years ago.

Edited by Satan's Evil Twin, 24 August 2012 - 10:52 AM.

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

#14 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:52 AM

That assessment of Abbotsford is pretty dang close to be honest. Most of the East Indians live in the west side of the city while the whites live in the east. Its just the way it is, seems like the all migrated over to that side more less for whatever reason, I got no idea why but thats the general consensus in Abbotsford.

To me being Canadian is a hard working individual who doesn't expect alot but is willing to work hard to get where he (or she) wants to go in life. Thats me personally, I grew up with a hard working personality and thats what I believe in. Its like an old soccer coach said to me one time.... "We are like plumbers, we get our lunch box, we get our hard hat and we go to work. Most people don't see what we do but we work our butts off every day"
Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

Interested in a game of NHL or BF3? Send me a friend request and lets play.

#15 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

That assessment of Abbotsford is pretty dang close to be honest. Most of the East Indians live in the west side of the city while the whites live in the east. Its just the way it is, seems like the all migrated over to that side more less for whatever reason, I got no idea why but thats the general consensus in Abbotsford.

To me being Canadian is a hard working individual who doesn't expect alot but is willing to work hard to get where he (or she) wants to go in life. Thats me personally, I grew up with a hard working personality and thats what I believe in. Its like an old soccer coach said to me one time.... "We are like plumbers, we get our lunch box, we get our hard hat and we go to work. Most people don't see what we do but we work our butts off every day"

My friend's a plumber and he'd dispute your old coach's assertions about plumbers. His biggest lesson when we started our first side business was "Dude, you're working too fast, you gotta show value to the customer." :lol:

Posted Image

#16 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:56 AM

I also feel that we, as Canadians, also love to play hard.
Posted Image

#17 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

? Anecdotally I find that immigrants always identify with the place they come from and never seem to think of themselves as Canadian first. My mother moved here when she was four years old, she is now in her mid-60s, and if you were to ask who she identifies with she would respond with the country of her birth, the Netherlands.

My Mother was born in Nordenham Germany and moved to Canada at 18. By herself. She thinks of herself as purely Canadian. She says one her most proud moments was when she received her citizenship.

Posted Image

#18 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,065 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:01 AM

Apologize for everything
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#19 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:02 AM

Apologize for everything

Sorry for not listing this sooner
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#20 gurn

gurn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:06 AM

I think:
Polite
Understated
Generous
Well educated, but dropping.
More all for one rather than all for me
fierce in war when provoked

#21 y0shi

y0shi

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,796 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:06 AM

If you say "eh" enough

CDCGML Posted Image - Tampa Bay Lightning

#22 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,630 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

The really problem with Canada developing its own culture is it is multicultural. Immigrants who are free to move here are also free to keep all of their beliefs from their home country. That means rather than everyone feeling Canadian, there might be huge communities of Ukrainians, Polish, Chinese, etc. who don't feel the need to assimilate with others.

There are only a few things that seem to unite us all, whether that be Hockey or "not American". I also believe there is a "make do with what we got" mentality, considering the rugged terrain and harsh climates as well as us never having an extremely well equipped military, yet still do not pull our punches in battle.

All I know is is that I was born here, I consider myself Canadian before Manitoban and love this country for all its positives and despite its negatives.

Edited by Hobble, 24 August 2012 - 11:10 AM.

#23 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:42 AM

It means we love buying cheap milk, butter, and cheese from our neighbours.
Posted Image

#24 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:44 PM

I know the correct pronunciation of "foyer" but the end of my alphabet song will never sound right.
Posted Image

#25 WillyFox

WillyFox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

Nothing Canada is a joke, USA all the way nothing will stop our glorious country from being better then every other country.
GO Canucks GO

#26 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:06 PM

;)

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#27 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:09 PM

Nothing Canada is a joke, USA all the way nothing will stop our glorious country from being better then every other country.

:rolleyes:

And some people wonder why Americans are tagged with a specific stereotype and are universally disliked for the most part? The arrogance in the above post is palpable.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#28 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

Posted Image

:P

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#29 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

Posted Image
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#30 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

That has to be sarcastic.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.