The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What does it mean to be Canadian?

TimberWolf

You call the news reality TV? I would think it's more like an hour long infomercial!

But I unfortunately watched the news this morning. In between Steve Darling talking about makeovers there was a headline that Snooki gave birth to a boy.

The over infatuation with celebraty is just as bad in Canada as over the border or anywhere else.

Noticed a bit of dislike of patriotism, but I would say it depends on your view of what patriotism is.

If it's riding on the coattails of your betters and taking credit (Vimy Ridge Biatches!) and claiming that makes you great by association then I agree it's silly.

If it's taking pride and willing to defend the country that provided you with a way of life you enjoy, then it can be a very good thing. Either or, though, it doesn't make your country better, you just love it more then others.

Noticed a bit of dislike of patriotism, but I would say it depends on your view of what patriotism is.

If it's riding on the coattails of your betters and taking credit (Vimy Ridge Biatches!) and claiming that makes you great by association then I agree it's silly.

If it's taking pride and willing to defend the country that provided you with a way of life you enjoy, then it can be a very good thing. Either or, though, it doesn't make your country better, you just love it more then others.

There's nothing wrong with being proud of one's country and people I suppose, but the problem, as I and perhaps others out there see it, is that nationalism becomes tribalism which becomes a force for division among humans. Nationalism is an unevolved state of our current social evolution. I believe our species would be better off ditching the patriotism of national identities for patriotism towards a global or special identity.

Why bother with a permit just extend it! Same procedure for putting in a secondary suit!

Not that would be keen on doing either but if I did it's not like I am low on architechs and engineers to sign things off for me if I needed it.

I agree that eventually humanity will shift to a more global view and perhaps abandon countries all together, however many western Canadians have voiced displeasure about their taxes going towards paying off Quebec. Imagine if they implemented this global government now, and our taxes were being used to fund the Greeks and all of those European countries in trouble, etc.

Society is too "me" and not enough "us".

Archived