The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Vancouver can finally cheer for Lu (Cujo, Beezer...Roberto)

bure's triple deke

And just who exactly is an elite goalie in the NHL? Lundquist? A goalie whos won what, 2 playoff series in his whole career? Tim Thomas? A goalie who couldnt even crack it as a backup until he turned 33 years old and has now lost his starting job? Anti Niemi? A goalie who, yes has won a cup, but does diddly squat for the Sharks now. Miller? A goalie who hasnt won a thing in his life. Quick? Hes had one great year, but ill bet anyone here that in 2 years time he wont even be in anyone top 15. We are in an era were a consistent goalie simply does not come around often. He can be great one year, and be a total flop the next. That hasnt been the case with Luongo... he has been able to withstand that any educated fan would simply go 'wow, we have a special player here.' Luongo is one of the best goalies of this era. He has had more of a positive impact on this franchise than any one player has for us in our history. Its a shame, but fans wont realize just how great he was until they start running Schneider out of town in a few years.

Ive said it before and Ill say it again... As huge a fan as I am, Lou will win a cup elsewhere before Vancouver ever does.

And just who exactly is an elite goalie in the NHL? Lundquist? A goalie whos won what, 2 playoff series in his whole career? Tim Thomas? A goalie who couldnt even crack it as a backup until he turned 33 years old and has now lost his starting job? Anti Niemi? A goalie who, yes has won a cup, but does diddly squat for the Sharks now. Miller? A goalie who hasnt won a thing in his life. Quick? Hes had one great year, but ill bet anyone here that in 2 years time he wont even be in anyone top 15. We are in an era were a consistent goalie simply does not come around often. He can be great one year, and be a total flop the next. That hasnt been the case with Luongo... he has been able to withstand that any educated fan would simply go 'wow, we have a special player here.' Luongo is one of the best goalies of this era. He has had more of a positive impact on this franchise than any one player has for us in our history. Its a shame, but fans wont realize just how great he was until they start running Schneider out of town in a few years.

Ive said it before and Ill say it again... As huge a fan as I am, Lou will win a cup elsewhere before Vancouver ever does.

Answer me this. If Luongo is "one of the best goalies of this era", then how come he's never won a Vezina? Is it another one of those conspiracy theories that the NHL don't want Canadian teams to win anything? Nope, cuz the twins have both won major awards. But why not Luongo? I don't think he can truly be considered one of the best when he's never won the trophy that proves you are the best. As for Luongo winning a cup elsewhere, I highly doubt it. Maybe if he gets traded to the all star team or something. As for Lundqvist, he's not just elite, he's super elite. He's never had a losing season, a career GAA of 2.27 and a career SV% of .920. And for the record, he's won 4 playoff series, not 2.

Didn't read all of that, but if Luongo goes back to Florida and wins a cup, doesn't that make his overall career much more theirs than ours?

I like the Panthers more than many other teams he could go to. But that's because they've been lovable losers. Let's say Florida's path to a cup with Luongo has to go through Schneider and the Canucks. The hate for Luongo would be amped way up then, y'think?

But if he goes to TO, he's dead to me.

Luo doesnt even have as good of a record as kipper kipper is the only one with a win % above .500 cujo had a team in edmonton like they do now but he actually got them into the playoffs and was the biggest part of them knocking off the top seeds. hextall is one of the only 2 goalies to lose in the finals and win the conn smyth.. luongo small part of the best team in the league in the last 2 years and has never raised his game in the playoffs...

We also lost Hamhuis early on in that series after his hip check (I think).............that was also crucial.

I watched both the 1st and the 2nd Boston games all over again a couple of months ago and we would not have been 2 games up if it had not been for Lu.

The sad fact remains if Lu had got the protection Thomas got we would have ONE SC in the bag.

Even more hilarious is the fact that if Thomas had one healthy rookie d man left standing that could not score that madman would have had an aneurysm before game five.

The guy is a creep and Boston butchered their way to the cup.

What loyal fans we have.

Lets see eh

Lundqvist at age 30 had 4 Vezina nominations and 1 win

1 Hart Trophy

won 4 rounds in playoffs

has 25 playoff wins

Lu at age 30 had 2 Vezina Nominations and zero wins

0 Harts

won 2 playoff rounds

had 11 playoff wins

So to Eddie Vedder, If you have to ask if Lundqvist is elite, how can you possibly think Lu is in the discussion of being elite?

We also lost Hamhuis early on in that series after his hip check (I think).............that was also crucial.

I watched both the 1st and the 2nd Boston games all over again a couple of months ago and we would not have been 2 games up if it had not been for Lu.

The sad fact remains if Lu had got the protection Thomas got we would have ONE SC in the bag.

It is. But like I said, the stats still don't mean everything. If FLA got Lu, it would help them more than just one fewer goal against every 8 games.

Stats are good for a general idea of how good a player is, but only by watching them play will you get a proper evaluation.

1 fewer goal every 8 games could mean 1 win they wouldn't normally have every 8 games.

thats about 10 wins they could have which is 20 points.

they finished with 94 points last year + an extra 20 (possible) points by adding Lu.

That's 114 points.

Puts them in the race for 1st in the league and home ice.

Not bad I say.

Again, all hypothetical.

Archived