The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Vancouver can finally cheer for Lu (Cujo, Beezer...Roberto)

bure's triple deke

watch it again, 2 guys on him and he still gets to the net that is absolutely pathetic defense. Luongo makes the first save off of Hossa and then Toews tucks in the rebound because for some reason he's still in front of the net even though there are now 3 Canuck defenders there.

That is not all on Luongo, not even close

It seems that many people think that the only way to be an Elite goalie is to have won a cup. But if you search a bit I bet you can find many goalies that have had average or even below average careers but have a cup ring. You can even say the same for any position in the game. I think the only example, that I can think of on the top of my head, where a goalie wasnt concidered an elite was Chris Osgood. I like to mention goalies like Cam Ward, Nikolai Khabibulin, Niemi, Giguere for more examples of goalies that have cups that really arnt elite. Luongo was and IMO still an elite goalie in this league. His stats were a little off last season but they gave more games to Cory. Luo has a gold medal last time I checked wouldnt that take being an elite goalie? Someone obviously thought he was good enough to be Canada's best chance to win and he was.

watch it again, 2 guys on him and he still gets to the net that is absolutely pathetic defense. Luongo makes the first save off of Hossa and then Toews tucks in the rebound because for some reason he's still in front of the net even though there are now 3 Canuck defenders there.

That is not all on Luongo, not even close

It seems that many people think that the only way to be an Elite goalie is to have won a cup. But if you search a bit I bet you can find many goalies that have had average or even below average careers but have a cup ring. You can even say the same for any position in the game. I think the only example, that I can think of on the top of my head, where a goalie wasnt concidered an elite was Chris Osgood. I like to mention goalies like Cam Ward, Nikolai Khabibulin, Niemi, Giguere for more examples of goalies that have cups that really arnt elite. Luongo was and IMO still an elite goalie in this league. His stats were a little off last season but they gave more games to Cory. Luo has a gold medal last time I checked wouldnt that take being an elite goalie? Someone obviously thought he was good enough to be Canada's best chance to win and he was.

Yeah,let's switch the defence up and give them ours and take theirs.

Can't win with a D literally playing with one arm and leg with the best d man out entirely.

You guys keep skipping over the obvious providing stats and opinions that mean nothing.

I might be in the very small minority here but even if the Canucks managed to win game 7 vs Boston 5-4, I still wouldn't consider Luongo elite. It would be more of the team bailing him out. I'll show you what I mean. I've gone back 9 years to show you what a Stanley Cup winning goalie stats should look like. (these are their stats from the finals of that year only. Not their entire playoffs.)

2011-2012 Jonathan Quick 1.12 GAA .944 SV%

2010-2011 Tim Thomas 1.15 GAA .966 SV%

2009-2010 Antti Niemi 3.41 GAA .881 SV%

2008-2009 Marc-Andre Fleury 2.94 GAA .907 SV%

2007-2008 Chris Osgood 1.37 GAA .936 SV%

2006-2007 Jean-Sebastian Giguere 2.23 GAA .897 SV%

2005-2006 Cam Ward 2.26 GAA .926 SV%

2003-2004 Nikolai Khabibulin 1.85 GAA .909 SV%

2002-2003 Martin Brodeur 1.84 GAA .931 SV%

Had the Canucks won the cup in 2011, these would be Luongo's numbers

5.65 GAA .857 SV%

Even the worst goalie I've listed does not come close to those numbers

Yeah,let's switch the defence up and give them ours and take theirs.

Can't win with a D literally playing with one arm and leg with the best d man out entirely.

You guys keep skipping over the obvious providing stats and opinions that mean nothing.

I might be in the very small minority here but even if the Canucks managed to win game 7 vs Boston 5-4, I still wouldn't consider Luongo elite. It would be more of the team bailing him out. I'll show you what I mean. I've gone back 9 years to show you what a Stanley Cup winning goalie stats should look like. (these are their stats from the finals of that year only. Not their entire playoffs.)

2011-2012 Jonathan Quick 1.12 GAA .944 SV%

2010-2011 Tim Thomas 1.15 GAA .966 SV%

2009-2010 Antti Niemi 3.41 GAA .881 SV%

2008-2009 Marc-Andre Fleury 2.94 GAA .907 SV%

2007-2008 Chris Osgood 1.37 GAA .936 SV%

2006-2007 Jean-Sebastian Giguere 2.23 GAA .897 SV%

2005-2006 Cam Ward 2.26 GAA .926 SV%

2003-2004 Nikolai Khabibulin 1.85 GAA .909 SV%

2002-2003 Martin Brodeur 1.84 GAA .931 SV%

Had the Canucks won the cup in 2011, these would be Luongo's numbers

5.65 GAA .857 SV%

Even the worst goalie I've listed does not come close to those numbers

- 1994 is now a mostly fond memory of our most glorious playoff run. 2003 is distant memory, it was a good season though for the most part. 5 years from now 2011 might be a distant memory if we can pick up a Stanley Cup before then.

- I was referring to the first series in 2011 against Chicago where Luongo gave up 12 goals combined in games 4 and 5. Cory started game 6 and didn't finish and then Luongo gave up the OT winner. Really not sure what you are talking about.

- What does 6 goals scored in those games have to do with Luongo getting ventilated? Unless Thomas was equally bad as Luongo it wouldn't matter how many goals we scored.

Our opinions mean nothing? Sure, we're just a bunch of fans posting our thoughts on a message board. But the stats mean nothing? I don't think so. I don't make up the stats, they are what they are. If I told you before the Boston series started that Luongo would come out of it with a 5.65 GAA and a .857 SV%, what would you have said? You probably would've said something like "the Canucks would be lucky to win one game" or something like that. You can blame injuries to our D all you want, but lets not forget Boston was also without Marc Savard and for most of game 3 and onwards Nathan Horton. Imagine how many more goals Boston would've scored if those 2 were playing.

Here is a challenge for you nuck nit. It was you who said the quoted portion.

You say relying on a goalie with as little experience as Cory is whistling pixie dustt . There at least 4 goalies who have won Cups with less experience than Cory since the Canucks have been in the NHL. Roy, Ward, Dryden all had less experience and were Conn Smythe winners and Stanley Cup Champions, Niemi also had less experience when he won a cup.

Not winning year after year adds pressure and makes it more difficult, especially for a goalie. Find me 1 goalie who was the starter who won their 1st cup with as much experience as Lu and his 727 games.

Archived