The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Vancouver can finally cheer for Lu (Cujo, Beezer...Roberto)

bure's triple deke

I might be in the very small minority here but even if the Canucks managed to win game 7 vs Boston 5-4, I still wouldn't consider Luongo elite. It would be more of the team bailing him out. I'll show you what I mean. I've gone back 9 years to show you what a Stanley Cup winning goalie stats should look like. (these are their stats from the finals of that year only. Not their entire playoffs.)

2011-2012 Jonathan Quick 1.12 GAA .944 SV%

2010-2011 Tim Thomas 1.15 GAA .966 SV%

2009-2010 Antti Niemi 3.41 GAA .881 SV%

2008-2009 Marc-Andre Fleury 2.94 GAA .907 SV%

2007-2008 Chris Osgood 1.37 GAA .936 SV%

2006-2007 Jean-Sebastian Giguere 2.23 GAA .897 SV%

2005-2006 Cam Ward 2.26 GAA .926 SV%

2003-2004 Nikolai Khabibulin 1.85 GAA .909 SV%

2002-2003 Martin Brodeur 1.84 GAA .931 SV%

Had the Canucks won the cup in 2011, these would be Luongo's numbers

5.65 GAA .857 SV%

Even the worst goalie I've listed does not come close to those numbers

And that is with only Tanev left healthy for game 7 on d. Higgins,Raymond,Samuelsson,Kesler and Hank all injured.

What did you expect?

The Canucks were up 2 games to 0 when Hamhuis was injured and Boychuk two handed Bieksa's leg.

That second game Salo was said to suffer a groin injury.Three of the top four D taken out in one game.

Of course Ehrhoff had a major shoulder injury in which he was being shot up every game and could not hit or take a hit.

All four top four d men were injured.

Vancouver miraculously still managed one more shut out before Edler was taken out with a slash and Alberts was also taken out in game 6.Luongo made 31 saves in game 5 to register a shut out WITH all the top D men injured.

Tanev was the only healthy d man left for game 7, a rookie that has never scored an NHL goal and Ballard-whom AV refused to play.

For the Canucks to have held in and won a 1-0 game and lead the series was incredible.

Agan,what do you expect,Riviera? Your ignorance astounds me.

Luongo played a terrific game 7 against Chicago.....

I dont quite understand. We threw everything we had at Tim Thomas and couldn't score, if we did manage to score more goals, somehow Luongo would have better than an .850 Sv%?

Buy the rules of the board when you say something like "your ignorance astounds me" it is an automatic 24 hr ban and a warning as it is a direct attack on another member. I would like to be corrected by a mod if this is not the case.

And that is with only Tanev left healthy for game 7 on d. Higgins,Raymond,Samuelsson,Kesler and Hank all injured.

What did you expect?

The Canucks were up 2 games to 0 when Hamhuis was injured and Boychuk two handed Bieksa's leg.

That second game Salo was said to suffer a groin injury.Three of the top five D taken out in one game.

Of course Ehrhoff had a major shoulder injury in which he was being shot up every game and could not hit or take a hit.

Four of the top five d men were injured.

Vancouver miraculously still managed one more shut out before Edler was taken out with a slash and Alberts was also taken out in game 6.Luongo made 31 saves in game 5 to register a shut out WITH all D men injured and Rome out for the longest suspension in NHL history.

Tanev was the only healthy d man left for game 7, a rookie that has never scored an NHL goal and Ballard-whom AV refused to play.

For the Canucks to have held in and won a 1-0 game and lead the series was incredible.

Again,what do you expect,Riviera? Your ignorance astounds me as you keep blaming this on Luongo.

Sure,Nino.

You are threatening me ,as I see it so I challenge you to now support your threat to "ban me" by pointing out what alleged rule you believe I broke.

Don't tell me I 'threatened' a poster when they conveniently and consistently exclude reality.

'Ignorance' is ignoring the reality of the entirety of the subject matter and that is what he has consistently adhered to.

Hope you understand.

What did you expect?

That second game Salo was said to suffer a groin injury.Three of the top five D taken out in one game.

Four of the top five d men were injured.

Vancouver miraculously still managed one more shut out before Edler was taken out with a slash and Alberts was also taken out in game 6.Luongo made 31 saves in game 5 to register a shut out WITH all D men injured and Rome out for the longest suspension in NHL history.

Again,what do you expect,Riviera? Your ignorance astounds me as you keep blaming this on Luongo.

Luongo had two shut outs and gave his team the chance to win going into game six ,leading 3 games to 2.

The Canucks had generated six goals in five games.In game six the Nucks scored two times.In game 7 they did not score.

In complete honesty and with the gift of hindsight it was clear Luo could not perform at his 'elite' playing level after his groin injuries.

However,Gillis.org still chose to reward him that very year and gave him a 12 year contract.

Gillis.org did not evaluate his injury situation adequately and rewarded Luo with the largest contract in Canucks history.

Luo was not an exceptional goalie after his groin injuries ,but he can still be great and has THE intangible of experience.

However,if the Canucks had a healthy D in the finals they appeared as though they could have won and won rather easily,it appeared early on.

That Canucks d corps was exceptional and got beaten into the ice,especially pulverized with cheap shots from Boston players.

I have not enjoyed or liked Luongo's attitude at times but given the fact that he has now been humbled and has proven he has the big games in him to give I find it folly to trade him now.His cap is reasonable and he has the big game experience.

This team should have won that cup (barring Bruin brutality) and the greatest revenge for any player would be to make a trip back in one attempt to win.

However,Gillis built this bridge and now he has to cross it. For me,this team stands a better chance of winning a cup with Luo but that will not happen now,barring massive ego's that have a change of heart.

Archived