The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada is ripe for major league sports expansion(Conference Board of Canada)

LouKesBurr

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/conference-board-says-canada-ripe-for-major-league-sports-expansion/article4494838/?cmpid=rss1

Don't know if there is a topic for this already but the Conference Board of Canada is basically stating that Canada could hold more NHL teams, more MLS teams, more CFL teams, MLB return to Montreal, and NBA return to Vancouver.

For me personally I'd love to see the NBA return to Vancouver. Basketball is my second favourite sport next to hockey and it gives a cheaper alternative to the Canucks. I also believe Aquillini would not allow a second NBA to collapse like the Grizzlies did. I also think another baseball team would be great for our country.

What's everyone elses thoughts?

Look how many major "leaguers" come from BC (MLB), it is more than the rest of Canada combined. We are clearly a baseball market. If we ever did build a stadium, we could support a team, but big issue is no one will build a stadium w/o commitment from a team, and a team wont relocate w/o a stadium. Catch 22.

We can def support and NBA franchise now. This market is more ready than it was 15 years ago. There is literally hundreds of more basketball courts in Vancouver, and thousands of more kids playing basketball. There is also far more Europeans in the league now, and a ton of Canadians who will be in the NBA really soon.

While it would be good to get another NHL team. Twice the opportunity to win the cup, I would rather a place such as Quebec city get one. Also Seattle deserves one as they would get a lot of attendance from Canada, like Buffalo does from Toronto. I love the NBA and would be ecstatic if Vancouver got a team. To bad I live in the Okanagan so I wouldn't be able to get season tickets. If the pricing was a good I'm should I would see a couple of games a year live. Another MLB team would be good but I'm guessing it wouldn't be in the West so I don't care to much about it (also think Baseball is boring.) We don't need another soccer team.

Don't understand why people want an MLB team. The city would have to build an entirely new stadium which will cost US(taxpayers) more money which then we'll cry because it's they're taking OUR money even though WE want the MLB team here. Plus, baseball is boring. B)

Whereas if we brought in an NBA team, we already have GM Place/Rogers Arena. It'd also be a LOT easier to fill GM Place than a baseball stadium

Archived