Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Z.Kassian9

Samsung loses patent dispute with Apple

185 posts in this topic

I've always loved Samsung. In fact my only gripe with them is they tried too hard to be like Apple. I hope they come up with a whole new genuine product that will choke out Apple. It seems like everyone who owns anything apple thinks they are just the hottest s*it around. Kind of like BMW owners.

Meh one multibillion dollar company beats another. It does hurt the consumer but it also forces Samsung and others to come up something truly innovative rather than building on products that already exist. I'm not saying i agree with tis ruling but trying to look at the positive side.

Create a phone so unique that apple just shuts up and becomes irrelevant.

Anyone know if apple is going after other companies as well? Basically all touch screen phones and tablets look the same...are they gonna say everyone copied the iPad/iPhone?

I don't need to be a litigation lawyer to know that in the USA with such cases, the initial amount is usually not what will be eventually be paid. Samsung is going to appeal, then appeal the appeal, then appeal the appeal's appeal and run this thing down for the next decade or so.

Apple's victory isn't really in the damage rewarded, its in how they will be pressuring other phone makers to sign licensing deals with them and in how they will be able to delay the sale of phones in the future.

Microsoft is a big winner in all this. They have a cross-licensing agreement with Apple and now phone manufacturers are going to consider Windows Phone over Android. I am not sure about Windows Phone but Android is free and open source so it could possibly cost more for phones in the future if they use Windows Phone.

Android is open source. I don't see how they can be able to give Motorola preferential treatment unless they make it closed source. Anyone can take Android and stick it anywhere for free. Nikon is coming with an Android camera.

By that, I meant that the Motorola handsets would be the first to receive updates.

Apple's Patent Win Could Alter Landscape Of Smartphone Industry

apple_samsung-b3e0cfaa4029c8a482d4fcd7f20b1eb4deced405-s3.jpg?

Enlarge

Ahn Young-joon/AP

Banners advertising Samsung Electronics' Galaxy S III and Apple's iPhone 4S are displayed at a store in Seoul, South Korea.

The dust has yet to settle on Apple's patent lawsuit victoryFriday over electronics rival Samsung. Samsung has said it will ask the court to overturn the verdict, which would award Apple more than $1 billion in damages. But if that's unsuccessful, Samsung will likely appeal.

"This decision should not be allowed to stand because it would discourage innovation and limit the rights of consumers to make choices for themselves," Samsung lead lawyer John Quinn told The Associated Press.

Whether that proves true or not, the verdict sends a message through the smartphone industry that other manufacturers will need to rethink their designs to be less Apple-like or risk legal repercussions, as NPR's Wendy Kaufman reports on Weekend Edition Saturday:

"While this verdict applies only to Samsung, other companies have also borrowed liberally from Apple. They're now on notice that if Apple sues them, they might well lose. So they had better change their products."

And Wendy said those changes will likely affect customers, too, particularly if device-markers decide they need to tinker with what are now routine smartphone features. Analyst Charles Golvin of Forrester Resaerch gave Wendy one example: the pinch-and-zoom function that helps users navigate and read small screens:

"This is something that everybody knows how to do now. But all of Apple's competitors have to figure out a way to let consumers do that zoom, but do it in a different way, and that's going to be disruptive to those customers."

Robert W. Dickerson Jr., a lawyer who is the head of the West Coast intellectual property practice for Dickstein Shapiro, a patent law firm not involved in the Samsung-Apple case, told The New York Times that:

"Companies in the future are going to have to consider how much they want their product to look and feel like their competitors' products in terms of shape, size, the way it feels, the way it looks, how the icons are similar, or will the icons be quite dissimilar."

Additional fallout could come in the form of what the Wall Street Journal calls the Apple tax. Competing device makers would have to license the technologies Apple sought to protect in the suit, which would add to the manufacturing cost of those products.

That additional cost could eventually find its way to consumers, writes the Journal's Spencer E. Ante:

"During the trial, Apple executives testified that the company was willing to license some of its patents to Samsung. In October 2010, Apple offered to license its portfolio of patents to Samsung provided the Korean company was willing to pay about $30 per smartphone and $40 per tablet. ...

"The verdict doesn't necessarily mean that consumers will end up shelling out more for devices from Samsung or other makers of Android devices that use similar Apple technologies. The potential extra cost could be swallowed in part by manufacturers or wireless carriers. However, [iDC analyst Al Hilwa] said that 'in the end I think the consumer will pay more.' "

Though not involved in the lawsuit, Google was also a target. Its popular Android operating system powers many smartphones in the marketplace, including Samsung's. If other makers of cellphones fear lawsuits from Apple, they could shy away fromchoosing Android to power their phones, as another Journal story notes:

"'It has got to create some concern for that ecosystem,' Baird analyst William Power said. 'The legal risks are bound to make a manufacturer think twice.' "

Aside from Apple, another big winner in the case could turn out to be Microsoft, according to Mashable's Peter Pachal. Microsoft's Windows Phone, produced by partner Nokia, has a distinctly different look and feel than the iPhone and this might be Microsoft's opportunity to gain some market share.

"Windows Phone is extremely attractive, particularly now. With the launch of Windows 8, Microsoft will unite its desktop/tablet and phone operating systems with shared code. That means it's going to be incredible easy for developers to make apps that work across all Windows machines. Windows Phone also has a clear hardware leader in Nokia, so other manufacturers will never have to worry about being the only one carrying the torch.

"On top of that, the OS is actually good. Windows Phones are generally well reviewed by both influencers and consumers. Criticisms generally focus on the lack of support for better hardware, but Windows Phone 8 will change that. True, its app catalog is nowhere near as robust as iOS's or Android's, but that gap could close quickly with the boost it gets from Windows 8 developers."

Nokia, having been in the cellphone business for a time, also has its own portfolio of patents to protect itself.

A preliminary followup hearing on injunctions based on the verdict is scheduled for Sept. 20. And considering that some of the Samsung phones that were found to infringe on Apple's patents are already on the market, The Verge says "it's possible that we could see sales bans as a result of the next hearings."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2012/08/25/160028467/apples-patent-win-could-alter-landscape-of-smartphone-industry?utm_source=NPR&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=20120825

Google should sue Apple for the notification center and Siri, which Android had way before Apple even thought of putting it in.

It was a biased group of jurors, as is usually the case. They should have held the trial in Samsung Town.

I heard that since Apple is suing Google for stealing some of their designs, the next iPhone software update is going to remove the YouTube and Maps apps from the phone and any other Google apps such as Search and GMail will no longer be compatible with iPhone. If this is true I'll be super pissed. All those google apps I mentioned are basically the apps I use most. :angry:

Meh one multibillion dollar company beats another. It does hurt the consumer but it also forces Samsung and others to come up something truly innovative rather than building on products that already exist. I'm not saying i agree with tis ruling but trying to look at the positive side.

So no YouTube on iPhones? I don't see that going over very well...

If there's no Maps or Youtube on iPhone anymore, I think I will be going in to buy a different phone.

If there's no Maps or Youtube on iPhone anymore, I think I will be going in to buy a different phone.

I heard that since Apple is suing Google for stealing some of their designs, the next iPhone software update is going to remove the YouTube and Maps apps from the phone and any other Google apps such as Search and GMail will no longer be compatible with iPhone. If this is true I'll be super pissed. All those google apps I mentioned are basically the apps I use most. :angry:

This is particularly disappointing because in the end, the consumer loses here. Settlement or otherwise, this will affect Samsung's phone devices, possibly tablets as well, pretty heavily.

And more subjectively, I've had iOS devices before (iPhone, and still use my 4th gen iPod touch to play music in the car).. there's a reason I got a Samsung Note to use as a phone/tablet and not the iCrap devices. Apple is feeling the heat over better products and a superior mobile operating system (Android) so will try and force consumers to their product not by making good products but by engaging in patent wars to limit consumers' choices. All that's going to do is ensure I never get Apple devices again.