The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Samsung loses patent dispute with Apple

Z.Kassian9

If you use Google apps mostly, the experience is 100 times better on Android. The Youtube, Google+, Gmail and maps apps are unparalleled. The iOS YouTube app looks like it hasnt changed since 2007.

I also can't believe that it's 2012 and iOS doesn't have a native navigation application. Going solo with maps is also going to hurt them in the end because Google has a huge head start in this area. Hell, I would be surprised if they matched Bing maps within the next couple of years.

Or you can just not update it.

Also, you can just go on Safari then go to youtubes website

I heard that since Apple is suing Google for stealing some of their designs, the next iPhone software update is going to remove the YouTube and Maps apps from the phone and any other Google apps such as Search and GMail will no longer be compatible with iPhone. If this is true I'll be super pissed. All those google apps I mentioned are basically the apps I use most. :angry:

Heres a fact.

Apple literally changed the world on how we use phones. Of course apple didn't invent the first smart phone, however when the Iphone was introduced it was revolutionary. The same goes for their ipad. They literally invented the "tablet" based item, and now other companies are copying their item.

Samsung also had it coming. They are trying to slay the dragon. It's funny how they copied their product, by making a tablet and smart phones, ironically apple can also sue anything company out there that is producing any item that is remotely similar to the iphone or the ipad. But anyways, yes. Samsung had it coming. You don't see Asus, or Sony getting Sued by apple? Just leave it be Samsung, or even better, just stick with T.V, and blue ray players.

It's not really bad for consumers as some are saying. Their are still hundreds of android phones out there and tablets. It's just that right now, It looks like Samsung is trying to take out their number 1 competitor, and Apple is doing the same. What was ironically epic fail was, the judge held out the ipad and the galaxy pad, asked the Samsung rep if he could tell the difference between the apple ipad 2 and the samsung galaxy, and he said no.

If you ask me, Samsung got away lucky with a 1 billion dollar fine and not a item ban from selling in the states.

BTW, guys, Samsung is only producing those types of phones and tablets because of apple....... So in the end, Samsung screwed themselves over.

Ok guys lets, not forget, the only reason why Samsung, HTC, or any one of the joes are making Android phones is because of apple. Nothing more, nothing less. The only other reason, why Samsung, Asus, these companies are making tablets, once again, is because of apple. If they never came up with such a silly idea, I don't think anyone else would have. Despite, Apple's rampage right now, a little respect to them. On top of that, not sure why you guys are painting apple as the villain. Samsung as equally tried to sue apple over stupid sh!t. So you guys really have to think on both ends of the item.

Apple suing Samsung. They do have a point. The Galaxy looks like a damn ipad. At least make it look different.

Samsung suing apple. Well excuse me Samsung, The tablet is literally invented by apple, yet you guys are trying to sue Samsung.

I think Apple is already playing it cool. They could easily sue Asus, but no. Asus knows not to mess with the dragon. LOL. I will stop using the word dragon. A lot of uneducated haters right now that don't know whats going on, and on siding against apple rather then knowing both sides of the story.

Ok guys lets, not forget, the only reason why Samsung, HTC, or any one of the joes are making Android phones is because of apple. Nothing more, nothing less. The only other reason, why Samsung, Asus, these companies are making tablets, once again, is because of apple. If they never came up with such a silly idea, I don't think anyone else would have. Despite, Apple's rampage right now, a little respect to them. On top of that, not sure why you guys are painting apple as the villain. Samsung as equally tried to sue apple over stupid sh!t. So you guys really have to think on both ends of the item.

Apple suing Samsung. They do have a point. The Galaxy looks like a damn ipad. At least make it look different.

Samsung suing apple. Well excuse me Samsung, The tablet is literally invented by apple, yet you guys are trying to sue Samsung.

I think Apple is already playing it cool. They could easily sue Asus, but no. Asus knows not to mess with the dragon. LOL. I will stop using the word dragon. A lot of uneducated haters right now that don't know whats going on, and on siding against apple rather then knowing both sides of the story.

If you use Google apps mostly, the experience is 100 times better on Android. The Youtube, Google+, Gmail and maps apps are unparalleled. The iOS YouTube app looks like it hasnt changed since 2007.

I also can't believe that it's 2012 and iOS doesn't have a native navigation application. Going solo with maps is also going to hurt them in the end because Google has a huge head start in this area. Hell, I would be surprised if they matched Bing maps within the next couple of years.

Youtube mobile site is an abomination

Heres a fact.

Apple literally changed the world on how we use phones. Of course apple didn't invent the first smart phone, however when the Iphone was introduced it was revolutionary. The same goes for their ipad. They literally invented the "tablet" based item, and now other companies are copying their item.

Samsung also had it coming. They are trying to slay the dragon. It's funny how they copied their product, by making a tablet and smart phones, ironically apple can also sue anything company out there that is producing any item that is remotely similar to the iphone or the ipad. But anyways, yes. Samsung had it coming. You don't see Asus, or Sony getting Sued by apple? Just leave it be Samsung, or even better, just stick with T.V, and blue ray players.

It's not really bad for consumers as some are saying. Their are still hundreds of android phones out there and tablets. It's just that right now, It looks like Samsung is trying to take out their number 1 competitor, and Apple is doing the same. What was ironically epic fail was, the judge held out the ipad and the galaxy pad, asked the Samsung rep if he could tell the difference between the apple ipad 2 and the samsung galaxy, and he said no.

If you ask me, Samsung got away lucky with a 1 billion dollar fine and not a item ban from selling in the states.

BTW, guys, Samsung is only producing those types of phones and tablets because of apple....... So in the end, Samsung screwed themselves over.

Ah the usual Apple evangelists! I didn't think I would encounter them outside of the Tom's Hardware and Anandtech forums.

Samsung was countersuing but Apple started the whole lawsuit. Take off your Apple homer goggles.

Apple didn't come up with the idea of the tablet.

tumblr_m611cjfjIl1qd41ppo1_1280.jpg

That last part doesn't even make sense. Apple could easily sue Asus but Asus knows not to mess with the Dragon? Um what the hell?

You remind me of the of the religious/non religious posters who zealously defend their beliefs to the teeth. Except rather than defending your beliefs, you are defending a corporation you really love.

So who is copying who now? Apple doesn't have a monopoly on smart phones or tablets so they can't say other companies shouldn't make a smart phone or tablet because they were the ones that invented it first (when in fact they weren't even the inventors). How much is Apple paying you? I don't hate Apple but I hate people who have their heads so far up Apple's you know what. Google should be suing Apple too, because Apple copied their voice search and also copied the notification center. Right now, Apple is suing because they are feeling the heat from Samsung and seeing their big pie of their smart phone and tablet market shrinking because of Samsung and Android. I doubt Apple would've sued Samsung if Android and Samsung weren't as successful as they are now. We know business is dirty and Apple is no different than any other of these companies.

Maybe Viacom, the owners of the Star Trek franchise should be suing Microsoft and Apple?

All these cars look a like and from a distance, I can't tell them apart! Honda should be suing Volkswagen, Ford should be suing GM, etc, etc!

2012-VW-Passat-3.6-vs-2011-Honda-Accord-V6-2012-Hyundai-Sonata-2.0T-Compete.jpg

Interesting, so Samsung wins in their backyard while Apple wins in their backyard. Also, a German court ruled in favour of Apple while a UK court ruled in favour of Samsung.

Samsung wins patent battle over Apple in Seoul

Samsung Electronics Co's flagship Galaxy smartphone looks very similar to Apple's iPhone, but the South Korean firm has not violated the iPhone design, a Seoul court ruled on Friday.

The South Korean ruling comes as the two technology titans are locked in a high-stakes global patent battle that mirrors a fierce rivalry for industry supremacy between two companies that control more than half the world's smartphone sales.

The Seoul court ruling on Friday comes ahead of more crucial U.S. verdicts. Nine jurors began deliberation on Wednesday in California in one of many disputes between the two firms around the world that analysts see as partly aimed at curbing the spread of Google Inc's Android, the world's most used mobile software.

"There are lots of external design similarities between the iPhone and Galaxy S, such as rounded corners and large screens ... but these similarities had been documented in previous products," a judge at the Seoul Central District Court said on Friday.

"Given that it's very limited to make big design changes in touch-screen based mobile products in general ... and the defendant (Samsung) differentiated its products with three buttons in the front and adopted different designs in camera and (on the) side, the two products have a different look," the judge said.

The judge said it was difficult to say that consumers would confuse the iPhone with the Galaxy given they clearly have the respective company logos on the back of each model, and consumers also factor in operating systems, brand, applications, price, and services when buying a phone.

The judge ordered Samsung to immediately stop selling 10 products, including the Galaxy S II, and also banned sales of four Apple products, including the iPhone 4 and iPad 2.

The court ruled that Apple infringed on two of Samsung's wireless technology patents and was ordered to pay Samsung 40 million won ($35,400). Samsung was fined 25 million won for violating one patent relating to so-called bouncing-back function used when scrolling electronic documents.

The compensation sought by both Apple and Samsung in South Korea is small due to the relatively small size of the market.

The wrangle was triggered by Apple's lawsuit in April last year claiming Samsung slavishly copied Apple's smartphones and tablets. Samsung has countered that it simply developed its own "unique" products in a bid to "best the competition," and that Apple actually owes money for using its patented technology.

In the United States, Apple is demanding more than $2.5 billion in damages and an order to permanently ban Samsung from selling patent-infringing products. Samsung argues Apple owes $422 million for violating a clutch of its patents.

Neither Apple nor Samsung had an immediate comment on the Seoul ruling.

In Seoul, Samsung shares last traded down 1.3 percent, in line with the broader market.

© Copyright © The Vancouver Sun

http://www.vancouver...6994/story.html

Archived