The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Samsung loses patent dispute with Apple

Z.Kassian9

If it's so easy easy to do and think of, why didn't someone else come up with it before? Apple is not the financial Juggernaut Microsoft is, or the first company to have touch screen phones.

The alternate to this is every phone is an iPhone clone and no one bothers to come up with anything genuinely different...

Good point. Finally someone actually took the time to write something out rather than a vague reference/appeal to something.

While I do agree that most things are "tweaks" or modifications on something old, I think there is genuinely good new ideas that come out of the tech world. Also, the rate in which new technology comes out, or at which technology improves is increasing, so I don't think research is stifled by any means, and consumers are very well off. Look at the rate at which vastly better cell phones hit the market (ones that haven't stolen technology or infringed patents either).

But the new Samsung phones ARE vastly better than the apple ones which the sales would back up.

If there was a patent on smartphones THAT would be new and innovative but it would long since be expired.

And the reason this is a big deal is that last week there wasn't a billion dollar settlement (and soon to be even bigger court fight) that will very much intimidate other makers. Maybe things were going swimmingly last week but this is very much a step in the other direction.

A chair is a very poor example to use. Let's say a refrigerator. If you came up with the fridge and had it patented (or didn't bother), and the patent expired (or you didn't have one), and I come up with a better fridge motor, I can patent that. The next guy can't steal my motor by saying they both (Mine and Guy #3) keep the food cold, which is what the original fridge motor did (the one you invented).

They are better, which is the majority opinion (I still use a 3GS over Galaxy 2) because they took some patents which they can't take. The ideas that were patented haven't improved like the pinch to zoom function or expired. They just added other features to it.

Ok, let's use a refrigerator. In this case, the maker of the better motor happens to be samsung. They make motors for both fridges. Should Samsung not be allowed to make fridges because Apple went out and patented the door handle (the user interface?)?

I have the iPhone 4, but I have an iPhone for 1 reason. Jailbreak. You can do anything with that! Im not going to update to OS6 or anything I like getting free stuff.

Being able to jailbreak is what it came down to.

Im pretty sure you wont lose google maps or youtube if you dont update the software

If it's so easy easy to do and think of, why didn't someone else come up with it before? Apple is not the financial Juggernaut Microsoft is, or the first company to have touch screen phones.

The alternate to this is every phone is an iPhone clone and no one bothers to come up with anything genuinely different...

That's the problem. The only thing that this is about is useless things like the pinch zoom function. So here's a question! If Samsung issues a software update that changes it to being "make a swirly around the area you want to zoom" instead of "pinch to zoom" will that solve the problem and don't have to pay or did Apple pre-emptively go out and patent that and any other way I could dream of interfacing with a touch screen ahead of time?

I think the most interesting thing is that this is going to become another footnote in a shift of public opinion against Apple. I think Steve Jobs untimely passing will be a huge turning point for the company given hindsight. I saw a ticker on the news that simply said "Apple seeking to ban Samsung products". Whether it's true or not is irrelevant. My point is that the public isn't as enamoured with Apple as they used to be.

Archived