Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Guess whose NOT coming to Vancity? Damn hurricane!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Odjickwillkillyou

Odjickwillkillyou

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:44 AM

So now for the bad news folks. My trip has officially been cancelled due to the hurricane or the so-called possibility of it affecting us here in Texas and our other Gulf coast sites in Louisiana. You have no idea how bummed I am right now and how much this hurts. I was finally going to have a chance to say goodbye to my Grandpa who is buried in Tacoma, WA and also visit my family there where i have not been since I moved in 1997.

The cherry on top was visiting majestic Vancity, meeting up with an old friend from back home and even meeting up with a friend here on CDC too (RinkonRenfrew). I even went so far as to go onto Google Maps Street View and virtually walk from the Cambie Hostel by Hastings down to the new outlet store next to PNE, just to visualize what it will be like. Well, now that is not happening. None of it is and I am not sure when it will again.

I cannot afford to just pick up and go to the PNW whenever I want to, but my job was going to give me that chance. Sorry to sound like a crybaby, but it was that important to me. Thank you to everyone who kindly made suggestions where to go and wished me a good trip. You guys are all proof that Canada is as awesome as Molson says it is. I am proud to be a Canuck and more proud to cheer alongside you guys/gals. I am confident that sooner than later I will be able to come back to my home away from home and share a pint or two with some of you while watching our boys in action. God bless and GO CANUCKS!!!

"Just cause I am from Cali does not mean I am not a Canuck. We are all Canucks!"

Special thanks to Marleau 12 for the siggy...

"Gino's got the Zaaaaaaaaaaaa's"

#2 Rink on Renfrew

Rink on Renfrew

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:59 AM

That sucks big time! I'm sure you'll get a chance in the future and most likely it'll be when the season is on. Damn Hurricane! You play by mother natures rule though, and it's out of you control.

One tidbit of advice. The walk from The Cambie to Renfrew and Hastings is very far, interesting but very far.

Good luck in the future and keep your head up.

~RYP~

#3 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,360 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

Dang! Hopefully next year bro!

Goodluck!
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#4 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:56 AM

That's disappointing! It's the perfect time of the year to come visit too.. Well, it's not anything that you can control... and there's always next time. Vancouver's not going anywhere =)
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#5 EDLER.IS.BEAST

EDLER.IS.BEAST

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:08 AM

You should just move here bro, we don't have to deal with hurricanes and all that other mother nature crap. B)

Aside from a lot of rain that is.

Edited by EDLER.IS.BEAST, 26 August 2012 - 03:09 AM.

#6 Odjickwillkillyou

Odjickwillkillyou

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:59 PM

You should just move here bro, we don't have to deal with hurricanes and all that other mother nature crap. B)

Aside from a lot of rain that is.

Trust me when I say I have thought about it and even looked into jobs from my career up there. Nothing really compares financially compared to what I make down here in the same profession. I even have a book for our bathroom reading entitled "So You Want to be Canadian Eh?". It gets a lot of laughs from guests, but the ones who know me are not surprised.

Part of the problem is my wife and I are pretty involved in church and inner city ministry. We love it here, but know we are supposed to go somewhere else in the future. I know you guys have a Union Gospel Mission and Potters House Mission right on Hastings as I was planning on visiting while there. I know it does not seem like a glamorous pit stop for someone to visit, but we really love the homeless whether they want to be there or not. Some of them are prisoners of their own addictions and just need someone to help them or love them if even for a minute (This does not mean give them all money either). Others are perfectly cool with being there and if that is the case, good for them.

Once I complete my degree, I plan on leaving my current profession and get into counseling for addicts/alcoholics. I still love a nice pint every now and again, but almost lost my life because of too much partying and excess. Now I see things and people differently. There is NOTHING wrong with having a good time, but when it affects your life and those around you negatively, it is time to think about things. How in the world did this turn into a sob story about me? Sorry bout that. :sadno:

Anyhoo, I will be up there sooner than later one way or another. I may just see if my wife wants to spend next year's tax return on a trip up there for the 1st round of Playoffs. She has never been and not only wants to go, but in my opinion HAS to go. Then she will see what my fuss about Canada and BC is all about. While there are jerks everywhere, you guys just seem to have a lot less than most other places I have been to. So in lieu of my not coming this week, I will instead dream about it and even visualize about Granville Island, Stanley Park and Tommy Lee Music while i am relaxing. Those are just a few awesome places I miss. Thanks again to all of you.

"Just cause I am from Cali does not mean I am not a Canuck. We are all Canucks!"

Special thanks to Marleau 12 for the siggy...

"Gino's got the Zaaaaaaaaaaaa's"

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.