The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Neil Armstrong dies at 82

BRAVEMAN91

A couple of decades back, I was watching a little half hour general aviation show one Sunday morning. The host had Neil as a kind of co-host for one segment where they visited a small flying club in some backwater airport. The owner of the flying club was an older middle-aged lady and when Neil introduced himself they shook hands and exchanged pleasantries, but she didn't recognize him as the Neil Armstrong. She then offers to give him a flying lesson. Neil smiles and accepts.

In the air, she's a real Bossy Betty. Do this, don't do that, you're doing that wrong. He takes it all in good humour.

After they land, she admits to the host of the program that Neil is pretty good but needs to improve on his trim control and something else I forget. Neil, the man who was able to take a giant aluminum beachball balanced on a blowtorch and land it it on the moon, replies "I'll try to work on that, m'am"

A good life, lived well. Bravo, sir. Bravo.

A true team player. He never liked the limelight because he felt the honor of being the first on the moon lessened the achievement of thousands of people who worked to get them there. A great pilot, test pilot, astronaut.

A true legend. I'm deeply sad at his passing.

He nearly died on Gemini 8 along with David Scott when a thruster was stuck open and they started to tumble wildly and they had to abort the mission. Apollo 11 vindicated him.

A couple of decades back, I was watching a little half hour general aviation show one Sunday morning. The host had Neil as a kind of co-host for one segment where they visited a small flying club in some backwater airport. The owner of the flying club was an older middle-aged lady and when Neil introduced himself they shook hands and exchanged pleasantries, but she didn't recognize him as the Neil Armstrong. She then offers to give him a flying lesson. Neil smiles and accepts.

In the air, she's a real Bossy Betty. Do this, don't do that, you're doing that wrong. He takes it all in good humour.

After they land, she admits to the host of the program that Neil is pretty good but needs to improve on his trim control and something else I forget. Neil, the man who was able to take a giant aluminum beachball balanced on a blowtorch and land it it on the moon, replies "I'll try to work on that, m'am"

A good life, lived well. Bravo, sir. Bravo.

Archived