The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What GMMG wants for Luo

I'm pretty sure that Florida doesn't lose by all means; maybe if Van gives them a 2nd round pick or something then maybe it's better but they are definitely not losing. You need to take into consideration that Luongo is still a top 5 goalie in the NHL that would make them a top notch team, thats very hard to score on, every night.

I'm pretty sure that Florida doesn't lose by all means; maybe if Van gives them a 2nd round pick or something then maybe it's better but they are definitely not losing. You need to take into consideration that Luongo is still a top 5 goalie in the NHL that would make them a top notch team, thats very hard to score on, every night.

Even with Lu in Florida, they might not make the playoffs next year. I see the top 6 in the east going something like this

1) New York Rangers

2) Boston

3) Carolina

4) Pittsburgh

5) Philadelphia

6) Tampa Bay

That leaves Washington, Florida, Buffalo, Ottawa, New Jersey and maybe Toronto battling it out for the final 2 spots.

The pieces don't fit. All 3 teams are playing different games and the rules don't mix. We have nothing that we're willing to give up that Winnipeg wants, Kane for Huberdeau is like Winnipeg hitting a home run.

Minimum it takes is Kesler+ to get Huberdeau out of Florida to Winnipeg for us to get Kane

WPG:

Huberdeau

FLA

Kesler

Luongo

VAN

Kane

Matthias

that's about what it would cost in a three way deal. But that leaves us with a glaring hole in 2C that's not simply there due to rehab, Schroeder is not ready for primetime (well, he might be but is likely not), and with Kassian looking for a bigger role on the team I think Kane is rather redundant.

I'd rather we take a mediocre return for simply letting go Luongo, and rolling with what we have rather than attempt a home run.

Sedin/Sedin/Burrows

Booth/Kesler(Schroeder)/Kassian

Raymond/Matthias/Hansen

Higgins/Malhotra/Lapierre

Next year, we see Jensen and Schroeder make the jump

Sedin/Sedin/Burrows

Booth/Kesler/Kassian

Jensen/Schroeder/Hansen

Higgins/Matthias/Lapierre

Jensen/Schroeder/Kassian will be an incredible 2nd line once the Sedin's retire (say 3-4 years), Booth, Kesler and Kassian form the 1st line. With Gaunce coming up the pipeline, We're set @ C for quite a while, and even better if Gillis can pry Bjugstad out of Florida.

In 3/4 years we will also have an amazing tandem with Schneider/Lack.

I agree that there are parts of the roster that need improving now, but certainly not at the expense of remaining competitive in the future. We're not a "win now, blow our loads this season and screw the future" kind of team, were a "remain competitive year in, year out" team and that requires deft asset management.

Edit* After reading, it occurred to me that the Canucks could potentially have a Richards/Carter scenario on our hands with Kesler/Booth.

Trade Kesler as part of the Luongo deal to land E. Kane, trade Booth for a T6 center, maybe like a Travis Zajac.

Kane/Zajac/Kassian

It's definitely intriguing.

MG wants Bjugstad from Florida, and Tallon seems pretty darn hesitant to even give him up.

Bjugstad is going to be a stud, and Huberdeau is going to be twice the player he is going to be.

A young team like Florida would much rather have a potential superstar for the next 20 years, than Lu who has about 5-6 years left in him, and would be gone by the time their core has hit their prime.

Archived