The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which Contract would be best for Alexander Edler?

Franz Liszt

178 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

$5.5 M over 5 years. No NTC and NMC. He is still very inconsistent. The Canucks should give him this contract and this year to prove himself. He has the ability in spades and can be a Norris nominee for sure.

However if he sh!ts the bed again in the playoffs, the Canucks have to trade his a$$

If he seriously wants to stay here and not just "i'd prefer to stay here but if the offer isn't right i'll go somewhere else that offers better money," then he would take something like a 7 year contract for 4.6million AAV, which follows MG's top-4 dman cap threshold that he has seemingly placed within this team lately. However, the realistic contract would likely be a 5 year 5.5 mill AAV contract similar to Tobias Enstrom's contract.

I don't get the feeling that Edler is all about the money and he seems like a guy who likes to keep things consistent and the same, so I'd assume he'd take some sort of a paycut instead of hardballing for 6-7 million a year.

Kind of pointless speculation untill the CBA is settled and the new salary cap established. His open market value would be 7 - 7.5m under the current cap. I'd be surpised if he signed very much lower than 6m. I wouldn't go more than 5 years at most. A 4 year deal would be ideal.

His contract would look best on another team.

Sorry, I love his size, his shot, and I like our long history with Swedes.

But the guy looks like a space cadet all the time. He has no intensity whatsoever!

I think he's overrated.

Would love for him to make me eat my words next season though..

E

His contract would look best on another team.

Sorry, I love his size, his shot, and I like our long history with Swedes.

But the guy looks like a space cadet all the time. He has no intensity whatsoever!

I think he's overrated.

Would love for him to make me eat my words next season though..

If Edler wanted to sign an extension for a reasonable amount of money...............he would ..........have.........done..........so.....already.

What we cannot afford is the same tired excuses they all make to avoid signing, then we 'need him for the playoff run' .......then we will 'wait till after the season'.........then he WALKS OUT.

No sir. He signs a contract or we trade him for value. We are NOT letting him walk out as a UFA. We aint letting him anywhere near UFA status.

I'm starting to think maybe MG should deal Edler sooner rather than later. Looking at the UFA defenceman list for 2013 and it's slim pickings. Just to give you guys an idea. These are some of the guys available. That 2 digit number is the age of the player.

Timonen, Kimmo » D PHI 37 $6,333,333 2013 (UFA) Visnovsky, Lubomir » D NYI 36 $5,600,000 2013 (UFA) Gonchar, Sergei » D OTT 38 $5,500,000 2013 (UFA) Hainsey, Ron » D WIN 31 $4,500,000 2013 (UFA) Streit, Mark » D NYI 34 $4,100,000 2013 (UFA) Regehr, Robyn » D BUF 32 $4,020,000 2013 (UFA) Zidlicky, Marek » D NJD 35 $4,000,000 2013 (UFA) Whitney, Ryan » D EDM 29 $4,000,000 2013 (UFA) Hamrlik, Roman » D WAS 38 $3,500,000 2013 (UFA) Scuderi, Rob » D LAK 33 $3,400,000 2013 (UFA) Edler, Alexander » D VAN 26 $3,250,000 2013 (UFA) Lydman, Toni » D ANA 34 $3,000,000 2013 (UFA) Leopold, Jordan » D BUF 32 $3,000,000 2013 (UFA) White, Ian » D DET 28 $2,875,000 2013 (UFA) Poti, Tom » D WAS 35 $2,875,000 2013 (UFA) Babchuk, Anton » D CGY 28 $2,500,000 2013 (UFA) Murray, Douglas » D SAN 32 $2,500,000 2013 (UFA) Ference, Andrew » D BOS 33 $2,250,000 2013 (UFA) Smid, Ladislav » D EDM 26 $2,250,000

2013 (UFA)

It's a pretty sad list. I can see a number of teams wanting to give Edler 7M+. I don't see how MG can match that without totally screwing this team over. Edler is not only the youngest guy on that list but also the best guy on that list. Time to trade him and get something for him while we still can.

Sorry for how ugly that list came out. But I guess you can't copy and paste from capgeek.

Archived