#1 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:58 PM

POPULAR

Why do most Canuck fans think that we need to acquire a top tier dman when we have TWO already? Alex Edler and Dan Hamhuis. We are actually better of than LA's D or CHI's D. In my opinion, Alex Edler is definitely comparable to Drew Doughty, Duncan Keith, Ryan Suter, and so on. Of course, there are those outstanding Defenceman like Weber, but look at Nashvilles offense, nothing. Edler and Hamhuis are both top of the line Defenceman IMO and they have every chance to win a cup with the Canucks. We didn't lose the SCF because we had no defence. Well, technically yes, but Hamhuis was injured. We lost because our offense didn't come to play when we needed it most. 8 goals in 7 games won't win you anything. Hamhuis and Edler both have a chance at a Norris trophy, not being a homer.

I can't wait to see what a rested group of Canucks do this year, and maybe they will get more time to rest with a later start to the year. A healthy Edler along with Garrison is going to be absolutely lethal, same with Hamhuis and Bieksa. We are the most previledged team to have TWO Top 1 Defenceman.

Go Canucks Go :towel:
Posted Image

#2 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:06 PM

POPULAR

This is why trading Edler at this point makes no sense to me.

zackass.png

#3 S.Mouse!

S.Mouse!

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:09 PM

A lot of people here want to have an elite D-man desperately.

I like our roster, with 4 legitimate top pairing guys, who could all be All Stars.
Posted Image

#4 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:10 PM

I completely agree with what you are saying.... our d core is one of the best in the NHL

Edited by CanucksFanMike, 25 August 2012 - 07:11 PM.

Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#5 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:12 PM

Agreed, we have a perfectly fine "D" and if anything, we need help on the 2nd line.

#6 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

I agree. People around he cry for a Norris level defenseman, when we already have like two of the top 15 in the league.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#7 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,028 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

I agree. People around he cry for a Norris level defenseman, when we already have like two of the top 15 in the league.

4 if they can play to their potential.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#8 rawkdrummer

rawkdrummer

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

I think the team as a whole had the Stanley Cup hangover last season.
This year we'll likely see our guys better focused and less fatigued from the grind of the long hockey season.
It sure seems like it's been a long summer and with a lockout looming...
!@#$%

#9 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,731 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:21 PM

I don't know if I'd compare Edler to any of the guys OP mentioned just yet. He's not consistent enough to be up there. However, I'd call him top 15 in the league for sure. Top 10 when his physical game is turned on.

Posted Image

STHS Hockey League - Brooklyn Beavers GM

#10 StevenStamkos

StevenStamkos

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:24 PM

Edler and hamhuis are both 88 in NHL 13. That's all that matters.

/thread

Follow me on twitter! @RealStamkos91

#11 Gooby

Gooby

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

Queue the Ballard, Raymond, and a First for Weber posts.
Posted Image

#12 canuckfan_sincebirth

canuckfan_sincebirth

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:35 PM

Agreed,

Are D is looking better and better every year. Hope Tanev and Ballard get alot of playing time.
Love seeing those 2 together.

#13 Lemmy

Lemmy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

Agree 100% that the Canucks defense is fine. I don't like Alberts as a 7th but other than that I don't believe we need any upgrades in this position.

The second line needs a playmaker however and this has been obvious for quite some time now.
This is why I don't understand why MG is chasing Doan, especially for the money Doan is asking for. Maybe a Doan signing makes Booth expendable and he is dealt for someone who can dish the puck to Kesler and Burrows on the second line? Maybe not?

Just wish the season would start already!!!

#14 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

Why do most Canuck fans think that we need to acquire a top tier dman when we have TWO already? Alex Edler and Dan Hamhuis. We are actually better of than LA's D or CHI's D. In my opinion, Alex Edler is definitely comparable to Drew Doughty, Duncan Keith, Ryan Suter, and so on. Of course, there are those outstanding Defenceman like Weber, but look at Nashvilles offense, nothing. Edler and Hamhuis are both top of the line Defenceman IMO and they have every chance to win a cup with the Canucks. We didn't lose the SCF because we had no defence. Well, technically yes, but Hamhuis was injured. We lost because our offense didn't come to play when we needed it most. 8 goals in 7 games won't win you anything. Hamhuis and Edler both have a chance at a Norris trophy, not being a homer.

I can't wait to see what a rested group of Canucks do this year, and maybe they will get more time to rest with a later start to the year. A healthy Edler along with Garrison is going to be absolutely lethal, same with Hamhuis and Bieksa. We are the most previledged team to have TWO Top 1 Defenceman.

Go Canucks Go :towel:

im sorry but thats just bunk
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#15 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

You lost me after you compared Edler to Doughty and Suter ? :blink:

Posted Image

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#16 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

I'm very interested to see what our defense can do this year. I wouldn't say that our defense is better than LA's yet but we definitely have great potential to be. We could be one of the league's best if each player is at their best of their ability.

Edler - More consistency. For most of the season Edler was improved positionally and very rock solid.
Garrison - Continue from his last season where he was scoring goals and playing good shutdown D.
Hamhuis - He's been our most reliable guy from day 1, nothing much more to say.
Bieksa - Limit the brainfarts, and play like he did in 10-11 where he and Hamhuis formed one of the best shutdown pairings in the league.
Ballard - Get used to limited ice-time. Move the puck well and continue to be a physical presence on the backend.
Tanev - Avoid hits, shoot a little more, and continue to pass well and be smart on defense.
Alberts - Be physical, reliable when called upon to play, and stay out of the box.

Edited by ButterBean, 25 August 2012 - 07:50 PM.

#17 Dildo Faggins

Dildo Faggins

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

The only thing missing in the defense is a puck moving d man like Ehrhoff. Yes Edler and most of the rest of the d can contribute offensively, but its better to have one puck moving d man like Ehrhoff in the line up to focus specifically on that role and take care of the bulk of the offensive side so the rest of the d can concentrate on the defensive side.

Edited by Heli_Kopitar, 25 August 2012 - 07:48 PM.

#18 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:52 PM

You lost me after you compared Edler to Doughty and Suter ? :blink:

What more has Doughty and Suter done than Edler? Doughty playing on a cup champ won't hurt, nor does Suter playing alongside Weber. Have a good look at Suter this year, he'll be no where compared to last year.
Posted Image

#19 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

What more has Doughty and Suter done than Edler? Doughty playing on a cup champ won't hurt, nor does Suter playing alongside Weber. Have a good look at Suter this year, he'll be no where compared to last year.

i have to agree. edler is definitly on track to be elite and we are surely blessed to have the d corps we do.
however, its not our back end that needs a "tweak" its our second line imo.
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#20 Grape

Grape

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

Edler and hamhuis are both 88 in NHL 13. That's all that matters.

/thread

Seriously?

mj761l.jpg0007.gif0007.gif0007.gif0007.gif  

Signature Credit to Vintage Canuck!

Don't Click!

#21 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

Doughty is a huge reason why LA won the cup. I haven't seen much of Suter so I will reserve judgement but I think it's pretty clear that Doughty is better than Edler. Much more dynamic than Edler offensively, more mobile, probably better defensively, and he's an underrated hitter. All of this while only 22 years old. Plus he has 27 points in 32 playoff games, which is impressive as hell.

#22 Grape

Grape

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:18 PM

I'm very interested to see what our defense can do this year. I wouldn't say that our defense is better than LA's yet but we definitely have great potential to be. We could be one of the league's best if each player is at their best of their ability.

Edler - More consistency. For most of the season Edler was improved positionally and very rock solid.
Garrison - Continue from his last season where he was scoring goals and playing good shutdown D.
Hamhuis - He's been our most reliable guy from day 1, nothing much more to say.
Bieksa - Limit the brainfarts, and play like he did in 10-11 where he and Hamhuis formed one of the best shutdown pairings in the league.
Ballard - Get used to limited ice-time. Move the puck well and continue to be a physical presence on the backend.
Tanev - Avoid hits, shoot a little more, and continue to pass well and be smart on defense.
Alberts - Be physical, reliable when called upon to play, and stay out of the box.

+1

mj761l.jpg0007.gif0007.gif0007.gif0007.gif  

Signature Credit to Vintage Canuck!

Don't Click!

#23 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:31 PM

Why do you think L.A. was the cup champ, one of the main reasons was because Doughty played SO much better than Edler. Yeah Quick, Brown and a bunch of others played outstanding but so did Doughty. The last few years Edler has been way to inconsistent in the playoffs, one good year and the next not so much? As for Suter i guess we'll just wait and see but i can tell you that Edler has a lot to prove to me and by the looks of it a lot of other people on here as well.
Oh and if you don't want to read all that, i can just answer you question quick. "What has Doughty done that Edler hasn't" ............ come on you know the answer, it's real shiny.

Posted Image

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#24 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69,087 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

Funny how people are putting Edler in their proposals. Anyways, I agree with the OP! We just need add depth on Defence and we're pretty much set on D.

307mg00.jpg

#25 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,780 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

We have one extra left handed D-man in Ballard, and short one right handed d-man. Garrison, Edler and Hamhuis should be on the left side. Bieksa, Tanev and x for the right.

If we can find an NHL ready prospect to trade for Ballard that's a right-handed d-man we'd be set. If it could fit Edmonton's budget I'd love to trade Ballard or Raymond to Edmonton for Teubert, and if needed throw in Sauve.

Or I'm open to suggestions of another right-handed NHL ready prospect.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#26 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,567 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

I wasn't on the Weber wagon...but what I would like to see is MG acquire a big, hard-nosed defencemen who should replace our pylon aka Andrew Alberts.

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#27 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

We have one extra left handed D-man in Ballard, and short one right handed d-man. Garrison, Edler and Hamhuis should be on the left side. Bieksa, Tanev and x for the right.

If we can find an NHL ready prospect to trade for Ballard that's a right-handed d-man we'd be set. If it could fit Edmonton's budget I'd love to trade Ballard or Raymond to Edmonton for Teubert, and if needed throw in Sauve.

Or I'm open to suggestions of another right-handed NHL ready prospect.

Garrison has played the right side in Florida. It would be pretty inefficient to have arguably all 3 of our best defensemen playing on different pairings, especially when whoever is on the 3rd pairing is stuck with very limited ice-time.

#28 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

The Canucks have a very, deep solid defence. Top 5, for sure.

To say that Eddie and Hammer are comparable to Doughty, Suter and Keith, at this point, is a bit of a stretch.

All 3 of the above guys are in THN's Top 50 players. Edler and Hamhuis aren't... Not that THN is the be all of hockey guru-ism, or anything.

:towel: :canucks:

Edited by lof, 25 August 2012 - 09:07 PM.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#29 Christophe

Christophe

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:13 PM

Before I state this, I think our current D core is fine.

The reason most people think we need a top superstar D man is if you look at the last Stanley Cup champions, they all had 1.

LA 2012 - Doughty. Yeah most people dislike him, but he was unbelievable in the playoffs and definitely was a reason they won.

Boston 2011 - Chara. It's Chara. And yes I hate him as much as the rest of you.

Chicago 2010 - Keith. Met him, he was actually pretty funny and didn't trash the Canucks. After the elbow on Daniel last year though, lost all respect. Still doesn't take away how great he was that year.

Pittsburgh 2009 - Letang. Everyone praises him for his offense, but his defense is just as good.

Detroit 2008 - Lidstrom. No comment.

Anaheim 2007 - Pronger/Niedermayer. Again, everyone knows how awesome they are. Honourable mention to Aaron Rome.

Carolina 2006 - This is literally the one team that sticks out not having a top D man. They had an average D core, but no superstar. That being said, Ward literally carried this team. Carolina owes this cup to Cam Ward.

Some people think Edler is a "superstar" D man, but it's incorrect. He did put up 49 points last year, which is an amazing feat. The problem is he can sometimes be very inconsistent. Not even throughout the season, but look no further than the series vs LA, I don't really need to explain how he played.

That being said Edler is pretty close to peaking and within 2 years I would say he'll be pretty much one of the best 2 way D men in the league.

#30 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,286 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:16 PM

If they stay injury free, sure.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.