The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No Top Defenceman?

RyanKeslord17

I'm very interested to see what our defense can do this year. I wouldn't say that our defense is better than LA's yet but we definitely have great potential to be. We could be one of the league's best if each player is at their best of their ability.

Edler - More consistency. For most of the season Edler was improved positionally and very rock solid.

Garrison - Continue from his last season where he was scoring goals and playing good shutdown D.

Hamhuis - He's been our most reliable guy from day 1, nothing much more to say.

Bieksa - Limit the brainfarts, and play like he did in 10-11 where he and Hamhuis formed one of the best shutdown pairings in the league.

Ballard - Get used to limited ice-time. Move the puck well and continue to be a physical presence on the backend.

Tanev - Avoid hits, shoot a little more, and continue to pass well and be smart on defense.

Alberts - Be physical, reliable when called upon to play, and stay out of the box.

We have one extra left handed D-man in Ballard, and short one right handed d-man. Garrison, Edler and Hamhuis should be on the left side. Bieksa, Tanev and x for the right.

If we can find an NHL ready prospect to trade for Ballard that's a right-handed d-man we'd be set. If it could fit Edmonton's budget I'd love to trade Ballard or Raymond to Edmonton for Teubert, and if needed throw in Sauve.

Or I'm open to suggestions of another right-handed NHL ready prospect.

We have one extra left handed D-man in Ballard, and short one right handed d-man. Garrison, Edler and Hamhuis should be on the left side. Bieksa, Tanev and x for the right.

If we can find an NHL ready prospect to trade for Ballard that's a right-handed d-man we'd be set. If it could fit Edmonton's budget I'd love to trade Ballard or Raymond to Edmonton for Teubert, and if needed throw in Sauve.

Or I'm open to suggestions of another right-handed NHL ready prospect.

The Canucks have a very, deep solid defence. Top 5, for sure.

To say that Eddie and Hammer are comparable to Doughty, Suter and Keith, at this point, is a bit of a stretch.

All 3 of the above guys are in THN's Top 50 players. Edler and Hamhuis aren't... Not that THN is the be all of hockey guru-ism, or anything.

:towel::canucks:

Before I state this, I think our current D core is fine.

The reason most people think we need a top superstar D man is if you look at the last Stanley Cup champions, they all had 1.

LA 2012 - Doughty. Yeah most people dislike him, but he was unbelievable in the playoffs and definitely was a reason they won.

Boston 2011 - Chara. It's Chara. And yes I hate him as much as the rest of you.

Chicago 2010 - Keith. Met him, he was actually pretty funny and didn't trash the Canucks. After the elbow on Daniel last year though, lost all respect. Still doesn't take away how great he was that year.

Pittsburgh 2009 - Letang. Everyone praises him for his offense, but his defense is just as good.

Detroit 2008 - Lidstrom. No comment.

Anaheim 2007 - Pronger/Niedermayer. Again, everyone knows how awesome they are. Honourable mention to Aaron Rome.

Carolina 2006 - This is literally the one team that sticks out not having a top D man. They had an average D core, but no superstar. That being said, Ward literally carried this team. Carolina owes this cup to Cam Ward.

Some people think Edler is a "superstar" D man, but it's incorrect. He did put up 49 points last year, which is an amazing feat. The problem is he can sometimes be very inconsistent. Not even throughout the season, but look no further than the series vs LA, I don't really need to explain how he played.

That being said Edler is pretty close to peaking and within 2 years I would say he'll be pretty much one of the best 2 way D men in the league.

Hi there. 1st time poster, long time reader.

Edler was compared to Lidstrom two years ago. At the same age, Edler seems to have better numbers already. If my calculations are correct and I assure you I am no math wiz, Lidstrom won the Cup for the first time when he was 27 years old.

Edler is just coming into his own and will only get better moving forward. The consensus that defensemen take longer to develop than forwards has held up for long in the NHL so I believe Edler is not an exception to this rule of thumb; he will most likely anchor the Vancouver defense for many years to come and if the franchise has any luck, we will see him retire into his 40's like Lisstrom while winning a few trophies and hopefully a few Cups.

Hamhuis is as reliable as any NHL defender out there though his talent was somewhat skewed from his years in Nashville playing alongside Weber. Not to take anything from Hamhuis since he is what all NHL franchises wish for, but he doesn't get injured that night, the Canucks have a Cup; not Boston.

Bieksa's energy and skill is around the same as Burrows except as a defenseman. He brings it every night and seldom backs down from a fair fight. He will stir the pot if the fight isn't fair.

Garrison's book is wide open for opportunity and hopefully the hype put unto him does not outweigh his actual output. He was on a weak Florida team in the same sense as Ballard was. Hopefully it turns out fine for everyone.

To say Vancouver's defense is good is an understatement while saying it is the best in the NHL is an overstatement. Somewhere inbetween both categories is where they are.

To say there is no need for a franchise 1D is a two headed beast: teams with a franchise 1D usually rest their defensive chores on one player accompanied by a serviceable defense while teams like the Canucks who arguably have four 2Ds must utilize all six defensemen rather equally during game and season.

I feel confident the defense can do it, especially with Salo out and I know how much he has been appreciated during his time in Vancouver but the injuries this man has suffered would make anyone go into deep depression. Replacing Salo with Garrison might be the best move Gillis made so far this off-season.

Why do most Canuck fans think that we need to acquire a top tier dman when we have TWO already? Alex Edler and Dan Hamhuis. We are actually better of than LA's D or CHI's D. In my opinion, Alex Edler is definitely comparable to Drew Doughty, Duncan Keith, Ryan Suter, and so on. Of course, there are those outstanding Defenceman like Weber, but look at Nashvilles offense, nothing. Edler and Hamhuis are both top of the line Defenceman IMO and they have every chance to win a cup with the Canucks. We didn't lose the SCF because we had no defence. Well, technically yes, but Hamhuis was injured. We lost because our offense didn't come to play when we needed it most. 8 goals in 7 games won't win you anything. Hamhuis and Edler both have a chance at a Norris trophy, not being a homer.

I can't wait to see what a rested group of Canucks do this year, and maybe they will get more time to rest with a later start to the year. A healthy Edler along with Garrison is going to be absolutely lethal, same with Hamhuis and Bieksa. We are the most previledged team to have TWO Top 1 Defenceman.

Go Canucks Go :towel:

We have 4 very good defencemen, but no elite defencemen. When I hear the word "elite" I think of Norris trophy winners and nominees. Look down the list of Cup winners, they all have a defenceman in the Norris running (top-3 in the NHL) and the closest we've come is in 2011 with Ehrhoff slotting in at 9th for Norris Trophy voting.

Last year, Doughty was their elite defenceman. He is a Norris nominee.

The year before, Chara. Winner and nominee multiple times.

The year before that, Keith the Norris winner.

The year before that, Pittsburgh had Gonchar, Letang and Gill (most comparable to the Canucks).

The year before that, Lidstrom.

Basically, if you don't have a top-tier, top-3 NHL defenceman you're chances at winning a Cup are slim so our best bet is for Edler to become this top-3 NHL defenceman. The problem is there are a lot of other great, better young defencemen (Karlsson, Peitrangelo, Letang) who will steal his thunder unless he can round out his game a bit more.

Edler is more physical than most of these puck movers and if he can shore up his defensive game, will give himself a good chance to be mentioned with the Webers and Karlssons of the league. Hopefully having Garrison as a full-time partner will improve his defensive game and boost that shoddy +/-.

Archived