The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No Top Defenceman?

RyanKeslord17

I like the way our D-core looks going into next season. Hamhuis is one of the best shutdown men in the league, look at his +- compared to other elite defensemen. That's playing top pairing minutes against the other team's best players day in and day out. If we get our additional top 6 winger in a trade or FA, and we can stay relatively healthy, I like our chances at a cup next season (whenever that may be).

We could use a 3rd line centerman too (Arnott?), but I don't think that position will make or break us. We can always roll with Hansen / Higgins / Raymond, as Higgins has played center before--and that's still probably one of the best 3rd line lineups in the league.

Also, Schneider has shown he has nerves of steel in high pressure games and I don't see him having any meltdowns like Luongo has had in the past.

Edler along with a lot of the team last year played remarkably sub-par for the majority of the season, including the post season. It's really quite astonishing that we even managed to win the President's Trophy at all, and it's likely that fact single handedly resulted in the rather short playoff run the Canucks embarked upon last season.

Edler has improved every season in his positional and offensive consistency, where he's failed to put it all together is in the physicality department.

Edler is no where near the calibre dman as Suter or Daughty is. Hamhuis is a stud but he plays a quiet role. I am hoping that Garrison plays with Edler and can cover enough of his mistakes to give him an opportunity to mature.

I think there are too many star gazers who believe that the Canucks need to acquire a "top" defenseman (or chase after any big name on the market for that matter...) - Hamhuis was in the top 5 in the NHL in terms of the quality of opponents he faced, he and Bieksa are anything but a second rate top pairing - Edler and Garrison could easily evolve into one of the top pairings in the NHL - I think the top four are as good as any other in the NHL - and the bottom pairing with Ballard and Tanev is a quality pairing as well. Where exactly is the upgrade so necessary?

It's not necessary right now this moment but both Hamhuis and Ballard have had three concussions apiece.

Both have had one concussion that included a LoC so that suggests strongly that both are now one serious concussion away from potential retirement.

My belief is that the Nucks would do well to retain players without concussions.

Upgrading quality by recognising the shelf life of brain injured players is something that this organisation seems to have ignored to date.

Garrison is a step forward but Tanev is not going to clear the net or score a timely goal.

So,two d men that are one hit away from potential retirement ,three healthy players of suitable quality and one rookie that can't score or clear the front of the net.

They better upgrade the D-ASAP.

]

Really ????????

Suter

Weber

Chara

Letang

Karlsson

Pieterangelo

Daughty

Campbell

Keith

Seabrook

Ekman-Larsson

Enstrom

The above 12 are all better than Edler. He probably belongs in comparison to the following group but I would definitely take Streit, Hamhuis, Kronwall, McBain, or Yandle before Edler.

Yandle

McBain

Hamhuis

Streit

Boyle

Burns

Bufuglien

Kronwall

These following guys will all be better than Edler as early as next year or within a couple years.

Bogosian

Kulikov

Carlson

Gudbranson

Murray

Fowler

Giordano

Goligoski

Hedman

Bogosian

Subban

Myers

Don't get me wrong, I really like our depth at defence, but looking back at the Stanley Cup champions each year it seems critical to have the one stud on defence.

LAK - Drew Doughty

BOS - Zedeno Chara

CHI - Duncan Keith (lesser extent Brent Seabrook)

PIT - Kris Letang

DET - Nick Lidstrom

ANA - Scott Neidermayer (lesser extent Chris Pronger)

It's too bad things couldn't have worked out that we would get Weber (I know it wasn't likely to happen, but still hoped). If we can land that one anchor to the blueline, I think we can consider the Canucks as cup favorites. Again don't get me wrong love the depth that MG has created, but if it is at all possible to get an elite defenseman it would be worth it IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I really like our depth at defence, but looking back at the Stanley Cup champions each year it seems critical to have the one stud on defence.

LAK - Drew Doughty

BOS - Zedeno Chara

CHI - Duncan Keith (lesser extent Brent Seabrook)

PIT - Kris Letang

DET - Nick Lidstrom

ANA - Scott Neidermayer (lesser extent Chris Pronger)

It's too bad things couldn't have worked out that we would get Weber (I know it wasn't likely to happen, but still hoped). If we can land that one anchor to the blueline, I think we can consider the Canucks as cup favorites. Again don't get me wrong love the depth that MG has created, but if it is at all possible to get an elite defenseman it would be worth it IMO.

Before I state this, I think our current D core is fine.

The reason most people think we need a top superstar D man is if you look at the last Stanley Cup champions, they all had 1.

LA 2012 - Doughty. Yeah most people dislike him, but he was unbelievable in the playoffs and definitely was a reason they won.

Boston 2011 - Chara. It's Chara. And yes I hate him as much as the rest of you.

Chicago 2010 - Keith. Met him, he was actually pretty funny and didn't trash the Canucks. After the elbow on Daniel last year though, lost all respect. Still doesn't take away how great he was that year.

Pittsburgh 2009 - Letang. Everyone praises him for his offense, but his defense is just as good.

Detroit 2008 - Lidstrom. No comment.

Anaheim 2007 - Pronger/Niedermayer. Again, everyone knows how awesome they are. Honourable mention to Aaron Rome.

Carolina 2006 - This is literally the one team that sticks out not having a top D man. They had an average D core, but no superstar. That being said, Ward literally carried this team. Carolina owes this cup to Cam Ward.

Some people think Edler is a "superstar" D man, but it's incorrect. He did put up 49 points last year, which is an amazing feat. The problem is he can sometimes be very inconsistent. Not even throughout the season, but look no further than the series vs LA, I don't really need to explain how he played.

That being said Edler is pretty close to peaking and within 2 years I would say he'll be pretty much one of the best 2 way D men in the league.

]

Really ????????

Suter

Weber

Chara

Letang

Karlsson

Pieterangelo

Daughty

Campbell

Keith

Seabrook

Ekman-Larsson

Enstrom

The above 12 are all better than Edler. He probably belongs in comparison to the following group but I would definitely take Streit, Hamhuis, Kronwall, McBain, or Yandle before Edler.

Yandle

McBain

Hamhuis

Streit

Boyle

Burns

Bufuglien

Kronwall

These following guys will all be better than Edler as early as next year or within a couple years.

Bogosian

Kulikov

Carlson

Gudbranson

Murray

Fowler

Giordano

Goligoski

Hedman

Bogosian

Subban

Myers