The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No Top Defenceman?

RyanKeslord17

Why do most Canuck fans think that we need to acquire a top tier dman when we have TWO already? Alex Edler and Dan Hamhuis. We are actually better of than LA's D or CHI's D. In my opinion, Alex Edler is definitely comparable to Drew Doughty, Duncan Keith, Ryan Suter, and so on. Of course, there are those outstanding Defenceman like Weber, but look at Nashvilles offense, nothing. Edler and Hamhuis are both top of the line Defenceman IMO and they have every chance to win a cup with the Canucks. We didn't lose the SCF because we had no defence. Well, technically yes, but Hamhuis was injured. We lost because our offense didn't come to play when we needed it most. 8 goals in 7 games won't win you anything. Hamhuis and Edler both have a chance at a Norris trophy, not being a homer.

I can't wait to see what a rested group of Canucks do this year, and maybe they will get more time to rest with a later start to the year. A healthy Edler along with Garrison is going to be absolutely lethal, same with Hamhuis and Bieksa. We are the most previledged team to have TWO Top 1 Defenceman.

Go Canucks Go :towel:

I think the team as a whole had the Stanley Cup hangover last season.

This year we'll likely see our guys better focused and less fatigued from the grind of the long hockey season.

It sure seems like it's been a long summer and with a lockout looming...

!@#$%

Agree 100% that the Canucks defense is fine. I don't like Alberts as a 7th but other than that I don't believe we need any upgrades in this position.

The second line needs a playmaker however and this has been obvious for quite some time now.

This is why I don't understand why MG is chasing Doan, especially for the money Doan is asking for. Maybe a Doan signing makes Booth expendable and he is dealt for someone who can dish the puck to Kesler and Burrows on the second line? Maybe not?

Just wish the season would start already!!!

Why do most Canuck fans think that we need to acquire a top tier dman when we have TWO already? Alex Edler and Dan Hamhuis. We are actually better of than LA's D or CHI's D. In my opinion, Alex Edler is definitely comparable to Drew Doughty, Duncan Keith, Ryan Suter, and so on. Of course, there are those outstanding Defenceman like Weber, but look at Nashvilles offense, nothing. Edler and Hamhuis are both top of the line Defenceman IMO and they have every chance to win a cup with the Canucks. We didn't lose the SCF because we had no defence. Well, technically yes, but Hamhuis was injured. We lost because our offense didn't come to play when we needed it most. 8 goals in 7 games won't win you anything. Hamhuis and Edler both have a chance at a Norris trophy, not being a homer.

I can't wait to see what a rested group of Canucks do this year, and maybe they will get more time to rest with a later start to the year. A healthy Edler along with Garrison is going to be absolutely lethal, same with Hamhuis and Bieksa. We are the most previledged team to have TWO Top 1 Defenceman.

Go Canucks Go :towel:

I'm very interested to see what our defense can do this year. I wouldn't say that our defense is better than LA's yet but we definitely have great potential to be. We could be one of the league's best if each player is at their best of their ability.

Edler - More consistency. For most of the season Edler was improved positionally and very rock solid.

Garrison - Continue from his last season where he was scoring goals and playing good shutdown D.

Hamhuis - He's been our most reliable guy from day 1, nothing much more to say.

Bieksa - Limit the brainfarts, and play like he did in 10-11 where he and Hamhuis formed one of the best shutdown pairings in the league.

Ballard - Get used to limited ice-time. Move the puck well and continue to be a physical presence on the backend.

Tanev - Avoid hits, shoot a little more, and continue to pass well and be smart on defense.

Alberts - Be physical, reliable when called upon to play, and stay out of the box.

The only thing missing in the defense is a puck moving d man like Ehrhoff. Yes Edler and most of the rest of the d can contribute offensively, but its better to have one puck moving d man like Ehrhoff in the line up to focus specifically on that role and take care of the bulk of the offensive side so the rest of the d can concentrate on the defensive side.

Archived