Vancouver Giants thread

Rate this topic

TACIC

Giants win!

Final Score: VAN 5 --- PG 3

Shots: 31-29 VAN

Goal Scoring:

First Period:

VAN Thomas Foster (3) - B. Kulak, C. Franson (6:33)

VAN Jackson Houck (23) - T. Vickerman, T. Morrison (10:32)

Second Period:

PG Zach Pochiro (14) PP - C. Jacobs, C. Witala (11:20)

PG Jordan Tkatch (6) - C. Jacobs, J. Erricson (12:33)

VAN Cain Franson (29) PP - B. Rouse (14:41)

Third Period:

PG Colin Jacobs (24) PP - Z. Pochiro, T. Bourke (0:34)

VAN Dalton Sward (8) - C. Franson (3:08)

VAN Jason Trott (2) - C. Franson, R. Kieser (8:10)

Goalies:

VAN Payton Lee 3 GA 26 SVS

PG Mac Engel 5 GA 26 SVS

Three Stars of the Game:

1. VAN 12 Cain Franson

2. PG 28 Colin Jacobs

3. VAN 39 Thomas Foster

In a greasy, hard-working game, the Giants come out on top again. Nearly all the goals on both sides came from tips and rebounds. Cain Franson led the way with 4 points (1G 3A), and continues upon his hot streak, scoring a wraparound goal. Jackson Houck scores again as he hopes to get drafted in this upcoming NHL entry draft. The Giants will have a 5-day break as they finish off their home season on Friday against Kelowna, then play them again on Saturday to wrap up the season.

Pacific Coliseum- Vancouver, BC

Attendance: 7561

So now that the giants have mathematically finished last they have a great chance of picking first in the draft next year .. in the last ten games they started to show us how good this young team can be .. imagine how freakin good they are gonna be with what they already have , and all the picks they get this year .. we are gonna be the class of the whl again .. now that a rebuild.. take note gillis .. i hope when the canucks decide that its time for their rebuild they will look at the way the giants have gone about it .. go big or go home ..

The Giants finish off their home season tonight on Fan Appreciation night, and are expected 11 000-12 000 people! I think that really shows how great the Giants fan are when they're so low in the standings yet drawing this huge a crowd. Next couple years are gonna be great.

14,000+ show up to send off a last place team. That's a feel good story if I've ever heard one. Can't stand the Giants, because of all the times they would beat up on the Blazers, but it's a classy organization with the classiest of fans. Despite the last place finish, the team was impressive and always worked their arses off regardless of the score. The dark days won't last long, not with Bonner and Donny Hay at the helm.

Regardless, Go Blazers :bigblush:

• Upvote 1

14,000+ show up to send off a last place team. That's a feel good story if I've ever heard one. Can't stand the Giants, because of all the times they would beat up on the Blazers, but it's a classy organization with the classiest of fans. Despite the last place finish, the team was impressive and always worked their arses off regardless of the score. The dark days won't last long, not with Bonner and Donny Hay at the helm.

Regardless, Go Blazers :bigblush:

Compliments are always welcome!

Game Recap

Final Score: VAN 2 --- KEL 6

Shots: 41-26 VAN

Goal Scoring:

First Period:

KEL Colton Sissons (28) - D. Severson (4:21)

VAN Travis McEvoy (8) PP - W. Vannieuwenhuizen, C. Popoff (6:50)

KEL Austin Glover (1) - (7:03)

KEL Tyson Baillie (25) - (8:16)

Second Period:

KEL Damon Severson (10) PP - R. Olsen, C. Sissons (1:01)

KEL Rourke Chartier (13) - C. Linaker, T. Baillie (1:29)

KEL Zach Franko (23) - (5:09)

Third Period:

VAN Carter Popoff (15) - T. McEvoy, T. Sieben (11:53)

Goalies:

VAN Payton Lee 6 GA, 14 SVS

VAN Jared Rathjen, 0 GA 6 SVS

KEL Jackson Whistle 2 GA 39 SVS

Three Stars of the Game:

1. VAN 5 Wes Vannieuwenhuizen

2. VAN 20 Jason Trott

3. VAN 21 Brendan Rouse

In the Giants final home game of the season, their 5-game home win streak finally ends. Classy move by the media or whoever chooses the three stars to choose the Giants' three overagers, especially captain Wes, playing his last game in the Coliseum. This was your standard BC division game, lots a penalties and some fights. Payton Lee was pulled but didn't have much chance on a lot of the goals, with sloppy defensive play from the Giants. They go at it again tomorrow with Kelowna and will finish off their season.

In othe Giants-related news, last years players Neil Manning and James Henry were name to the CIS all-rookie team. Congrats to the both of them!

Pacific Coliseum- Vancouver BC

Attendance: 14,274

Edited by mrsasaki

Giants 2012-2013 Team Awards:

2011/2012 WHL Playoff MVP: Brendan Gallagher

Most Sportsmanlike Award: Cain Franson

Save on Foods Highschool Player: Carter Popoff

Milan Ilich Rookie of the Year: Payton Lee

Pat Quinn Top Defensive Player: Brett Kulak

PC Tiogo MVP: Jackson Houck

White Spot Humanitarian Award: Anthony Ast

Inspirational Player Award: Dalton Sward

Gordie Howe Top Scorer: Jackson Houck

Highest Plus/Minus Rating: Blake Orban

Most Improved Player: Jackson Houck

Unsung Hero: Cain Franson

Players Choice Award: Wes Vannieuwenhuizen

20 year olds: Wes Vannieuwenhuizen, Brendan Rouse, Jason Trott

Ironman Award: Brett Kulak

Post Secondary Academic Award: Wes Vannieuwenhuizen

Three Stars: Payton Lee, Jackson Houck, Cain Franson

Edited by mrsasaki

Final Score: VAN 2 --- KEL 5

Shots: 36-31 KEL

Goal Scoring:

First Period:

KEL Jesse Lees (12) - D. McKinlay, T. Baillie (1:18)

VAN Dalton Sward (9) - (8:55)

Second Period:

VAN Jakob Stukel (2) - B. Kulak, B. Orban (0:47)

KEL Justin Kirkland (2) - C. Linaker, H. Nyberg (2:50)

KEL Myles Bell (38) - (13:51)

Third Period:

KEL Zach Franko (24) EN (?) - (0:44)

KEL Tyson Baillie (26) - D. McKinlay, M. Bell (7:04)

Goalies:

VAN Jared Rathjen 4 GA 31 SVS

KEL Jordan Cooke 2 GA 29 SVS

Three Stars of the Game:

1. KEL 29 Myles Bell

2. KEL 24 Tyson Baillie

3. KEL 19 Dylen McKinlay

The Giants final game of the season ends with yet another loss to Kelowna. I'm not sure why it says Kelowna got an empty-net goal less than a minute into the period, ill wait for highlights or find out why that happened. Not a lot to talk about this game, bunch of penalties but no actual fights, good ol Western Canadian hockey. But the future is definately looking bright for the Giants, with the first overall pick in this years draft, unless they somehow lose the lottery, and 8 picks in the first three rounds, and a pair of 15-year olds already on the team in Alec Baer and Jakob Stukel. It really is said to see Wes Vannieuwenhuizen play his last WHL game though, wish the best of luck to him in whatever he does now in life.

Prospera Place- Kelowna BC

Attendance: 5,521

Edited by mrsasaki

Wes Vannieuwenhuizen will play the rest of the year with the Las Vegas Wranglers of the ECHL.

GM Scott Bonner says priorities this year are to find 3 good players so as to not finish so terribly again.

Those both from News 1130 Sports twitter account.

The WHL bantam draft lottery is Wednesday in Calgary, with the Giants having the best chance at the first overall pick at 57.14%

Tyler Benson, the expected first overall pick in this years draft, will not apply for exceptional status this upcoming year. Whichever team that drafts him may play him for 5 games though. Benson has 144 points in 32 bantam AAA games for the Southgate Lions.

EDIT--- draft is Wednesday

Edited by mrsasaki

The Regina Pats have won the WHL draft lottery, moving them from 4th to 2nd overall pick, meaning the Giants keep the 1st overall pick! Judging by Giants GM Scott Bonner's words, it is all but certain that they will draft Tyler Benson but will not have him play this season.

Draft Order:

1. Vancouver

2. Regina

3. Prince George

4. Brandon

5. Moose Jaw

6. Lethbridge

With the Giants far out of contention, who are you guys hoping for to win the WHL championship? Memorial cup? Personally I think Portland will win but Edmonton's got a good chance, and think the Hawks also have the memorial cup in the bag. Would love to see a Portland-Halifax final, would be great for both the CHL and NHL!

Edited by mrsasaki

The Regina Pats have won the WHL draft lottery, moving them from 4th to 2nd overall pick, meaning the Giants keep the 1st overall pick! Judging by Giants GM Scott Bonner's words, it is all but certain that they will draft Tyler Benson but will not have him play this season.

I posted this is general hockey cause I thought it was such big news .. I was so frickin pumped when i heard !! god the giants are gonna be fun to watch eh mrsasaki ?

Couple years they're gonna be unstoppable

I think having a player like this adds so much to your brand , or lore ... I wouldnt have had a clue about certain junior teams if say , lindros , or crosby hadnt played for them ... it gives your local jr team a huge amount of cache !!!! yeeeeehaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...