446 replies to this topic

#421 ShakyWalton

ShakyWalton

One Hole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:14 AM

Losing turns fans off? Loyalty in Vancouver when you lose isn't as strong.

What year does Benson get drafted? 2016?

correct 2016..I hope he has a great next season because he hasnt been exactly ripping it up this year.but I guess for a 16 year old it hasnt been bad.

Edited by ShakyWalton, 10 March 2015 - 09:15 AM.

#422 ShakyWalton

ShakyWalton

One Hole

• Members
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:24 PM

Another crap year for the Giants..2 years in a row of no playoffs and futility..wont bode well for attendance which slipped a lot this year..better pick it up fast or I can see them moving out.

#423 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,550 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:44 AM

Wonder who the new coach will be?

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#424 canacks1970

canacks1970

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:15 PM

Another crap year for the Giants..2 years in a row of no playoffs and futility..wont bode well for attendance which slipped a lot this year..better pick it up fast or I can see them moving out.

No Shaky, they finished third and made the playoffs last year in Hay's last year as coach. When you see a jump in ticket prices from 22 dollars to 29. You tell me if that doesn't affect the attendace! I Also found out it was cheaper to call the ticket office to get tickets.  Compare to the rest of the league the attendace isn't that bad.

IMO I don't see this team going anywhere . Thank god for Vancouver they have Owners and a GM who cares about this team and community.  Shaky you don't know how good you have it with  the Giants. You could have had  a crap owner IMO  in Rick Brodsky who took a once proud franchise in the  Cougars who ran it into the ground in Victoria and moved it P.G and ended up doing the same there before new ownership took over.

This franchise has been successful for so long you think one bad streach in your opinion that they need to pick it up?

This team has been in contention for 5 years after winning the Memorial cup before missing the post season. Making the post season for 10 straight years you will eventually going to have some hick ups after that long of success. When you don't draft the top midget players for a few years . It usually Tells me your doing well when your not always drafting in the top 4-5 every year.  Even the great Kelowna Rockets missed the playoffs in 06/07 two years after winning it all .And it took them another year or two to get where they are now.

Edited by canacks1970, 01 April 2015 - 02:16 PM.

#425 ShakyWalton

ShakyWalton

One Hole

• Members
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:46 PM

No Shaky, they finished third and made the playoffs last year in Hay's last year as coach. When you see a jump in ticket prices from 22 dollars to 29. You tell me if that doesn't affect the attendace! I Also found out it was cheaper to call the ticket office to get tickets.  Compare to the rest of the league the attendace isn't that bad.

IMO I don't see this team going anywhere . Thank god for Vancouver they have Owners and a GM who cares about this team and community.  Shaky you don't know how good you have it with  the Giants. You could have had  a crap owner IMO  in Rick Brodsky who took a once proud franchise in the  Cougars who ran it into the ground in Victoria and moved it P.G and ended up doing the same there before new ownership took over.

This franchise has been successful for so long you think one bad streach in your opinion that they need to pick it up?

This team has been in contention for 5 years after winning the Memorial cup before missing the post season. Making the post season for 10 straight years you will eventually going to have some hick ups after that long of success. When you don't draft the top midget players for a few years . It usually Tells me your doing well when your not always drafting in the top 4-5 every year.  Even the great Kelowna Rockets missed the playoffs in 06/07 two years after winning it all .And it took them another year or two to get where they are now.

Damn..you are right..I was thinking of 2012 and forgot that they did make the playoffs last year.....I agree that ownership has been great...but it just seems that the instability with coaching and lack of top end talent has caught up to them..this can all turn around of course and I hope it does before the fans tune them out completely..I have seen it with Junior hockey before in Vancouver...It just seems to me its taking awhile to get a strong competitive team on the ice...but thats maybe because I have seen them win it all.

#426 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 80,687 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:42 AM

@News1130Sports: Former Oilers coach Dallas Eakins was interviewed by the #WHLGiants two weeks ago and he has strong interest in the job.

307mg00.jpg

#427 hatedkid666

hatedkid666

Young pope slinger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:29 AM

@News1130Sports: Former Oilers coach Dallas Eakins was interviewed by the #WHLGiants two weeks ago and he has strong interest in the job.

Wasn't Ted Nolan also in discussion for the job?

#428 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 80,687 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:35 AM

Wasn't Ted Nolan also in discussion for the job?

Yep.

307mg00.jpg

#429 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 80,687 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 01:47 PM

@NEWS1130Sports

Ted Nolan is no longer in the mix to be the new coach of the #WHLGiants. Hearing Ryan McGill is very high on finalist list.

307mg00.jpg

#430 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 28,550 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 07:52 PM

Taking their time on this one I see......

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#431 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 80,687 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:50 AM

Hearing rumblings the #WHLGiants may be getting closer to hiring a new coach.

It could be down to Dallas Eakins and Lorne Molleken for the #WHLGiants coaching job.

Edited by -Vintage Canuck-, 22 June 2015 - 10:54 AM.

307mg00.jpg

#432 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 28,550 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:01 PM

Hearing rumblings the #WHLGiants may be getting closer to hiring a new coach.

It could be down to Dallas Eakins and Lorne Molleken for the #WHLGiants coaching job.

Well Eakins signed with San Diego for the AHL. Is Lorne Molleken the winner by default?

GO CANUCKS GO!

Posted Image

#433 ShakyWalton

ShakyWalton

One Hole

• Members
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:38 AM

Well Eakins signed with San Diego for the AHL. Is Lorne Molleken the winner by default?

Molleken is the new coach ..announcement this week.

#434 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 28,550 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:31 AM

Took long enough. Sort of disturbing how many people didn't want it. 

GO CANUCKS GO!

Posted Image

#435 ShakyWalton

ShakyWalton

One Hole

• Members
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:08 AM

Took long enough. Sort of disturbing how many people didn't want it. 

makes me wonder why..this goes back to last year even....Molleken has some good credentials though and tons of WHL experience.

#436 Jack Fig

Jack Fig

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:02 PM

It seems Molleken came here because he had no other options and the Giants were adamant about getting someone with Dub experience after last year's disaster with Troy G. Ward. All-in-all, it seems like a forced fit. But at least Molleken likes having a tough team, so the Giants could be more interesting for that alone.

Kevin Bieksa...he's going down with the ship, you know. he was kicked off the ship.

#437 ShakyWalton

ShakyWalton

One Hole

• Members
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:35 PM

It seems Molleken came here because he had no other options and the Giants were adamant about getting someone with Dub experience after last year's disaster with Troy G. Ward. All-in-all, it seems like a forced fit. But at least Molleken likes having a tough team, so the Giants could be more interesting for that alone.

I could write a list of potential coaches who turned it down or were turned down...I think Toigo wants to get it right...they are bleeding cash and I dont think there are to many losing seasons left.

#438 Jack Fig

Jack Fig

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:31 PM

I could write a list of potential coaches who turned it down or were turned down...I think Toigo wants to get it right...they are bleeding cash and I dont think there are to many losing seasons left.

Business-wise, the losses won't matter too much because they'll be in Surrey in a brand new building in 2 years.

Kevin Bieksa...he's going down with the ship, you know. he was kicked off the ship.

#439 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 28,550 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:55 PM

Business-wise, the losses won't matter too much because they'll be in Surrey in a brand new building in 2 years.

What?

GO CANUCKS GO!

Posted Image

#440 Jack Fig

Jack Fig

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:45 PM

What?

The Toigos have been in negotiations with the City of Surrey to build an arena somewhere along Skytrain, which they deem as important for future success of the franchise. Surrey is building a two-plex of rinks down near the Scott Road Skytrain station and have enough room on that parcel for a facility to house sporting tenant. From the noise going on, it sounds as if Surrey will supply the land for the facility for free, with private investors paying to build the place. I would then imagine some sort of joint arrangement between the two in terms of the management of it. I think the new building needs to be at least 7,000 seats and probably more like 8,000. I believe the plot of land is 57 acres, so the two-plex and the Giants' new home will all easily fit on it. The old Surrey Rec Centre will then be demolished, as it sticks out like a sore thumb now with all the recent construction at Central City. I wouldn't be surprised if this is all finalized and announced by the end of summer, but who knows.

#441 ShakyWalton

ShakyWalton

One Hole

• Members
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:54 AM

The Toigos have been in negotiations with the City of Surrey to build an arena somewhere along Skytrain, which they deem as important for future success of the franchise. Surrey is building a two-plex of rinks down near the Scott Road Skytrain station and have enough room on that parcel for a facility to house sporting tenant. From the noise going on, it sounds as if Surrey will supply the land for the facility for free, with private investors paying to build the place. I would then imagine some sort of joint arrangement between the two in terms of the management of it. I think the new building needs to be at least 7,000 seats and probably more like 8,000. I believe the plot of land is 57 acres, so the two-plex and the Giants' new home will all easily fit on it. The old Surrey Rec Centre will then be demolished, as it sticks out like a sore thumb now with all the recent construction at Central City. I wouldn't be surprised if this is all finalized and announced by the end of summer, but who knows.

never heard any of this...interesting..seems to me there was a Surrey WHL team years ago..could be wrong..would a name change be in the mix?

#442 Jack Fig

Jack Fig

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:06 AM

never heard any of this...interesting..seems to me there was a Surrey WHL team years ago..could be wrong..would a name change be in the mix?

No there's never been a Surrey WHL team....and I wouldn't think there will be a name change.

#443 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 28,550 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:53 PM

Shaky are you thinking of the Chilliwack Bruins? 

GO CANUCKS GO!

Posted Image

#444 ShakyWalton

ShakyWalton

One Hole

• Members
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:12 PM

Shaky are you thinking of the Chilliwack Bruins? 

I dont think so  but I could confusing the BCJHL and the Surrey Eagles....

#445 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

My body is ready.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,446 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:20 PM

Radovan Bondra though.

5th round pick by the Blackhawks, Giants selected him 8th in the Import Draft.

Uses his 6'5 218 frame, and a good skater and talented offensively.  Might not be a fantastic pro prospect, but he looks like he could have the tools to be fairly dominant in Juniors.  Should be fun to watch, especially if he is playing with Benson.

Posted Image

#446 ShakyWalton

ShakyWalton

One Hole

• Members
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:41 AM

Radovan Bondra though.

5th round pick by the Blackhawks, Giants selected him 8th in the Import Draft.

Uses his 6'5 218 frame, and a good skater and talented offensively.  Might not be a fantastic pro prospect, but he looks like he could have the tools to be fairly dominant in Juniors.  Should be fun to watch, especially if he is playing with Benson.

Is he Peters kid?

#447 Lulover88

Lulover88

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:33 AM

the giants will be dominant the next few years .   tough to lose your best players to drafts every year .    no team can stay competitive every year ..    there will always be rebuilds each decade  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.