The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Giants thread

Rate this topic

TACIC

The Toigos have been in negotiations with the City of Surrey to build an arena somewhere along Skytrain, which they deem as important for future success of the franchise. Surrey is building a two-plex of rinks down near the Scott Road Skytrain station and have enough room on that parcel for a facility to house sporting tenant. From the noise going on, it sounds as if Surrey will supply the land for the facility for free, with private investors paying to build the place. I would then imagine some sort of joint arrangement between the two in terms of the management of it. I think the new building needs to be at least 7,000 seats and probably more like 8,000. I believe the plot of land is 57 acres, so the two-plex and the Giants' new home will all easily fit on it. The old Surrey Rec Centre will then be demolished, as it sticks out like a sore thumb now with all the recent construction at Central City. I wouldn't be surprised if this is all finalized and announced by the end of summer, but who knows.

never heard any of this...interesting..seems to me there was a Surrey WHL team years ago..could be wrong..would a name change be in the mix?

never heard any of this...interesting..seems to me there was a Surrey WHL team years ago..could be wrong..would a name change be in the mix?

No there's never been a Surrey WHL team....and I wouldn't think there will be a name change.

Radovan Bondra though.

5th round pick by the Blackhawks, Giants selected him 8th in the Import Draft.

Uses his 6'5 218 frame, and a good skater and talented offensively. Might not be a fantastic pro prospect, but he looks like he could have the tools to be fairly dominant in Juniors. Should be fun to watch, especially if he is playing with Benson.

Radovan Bondra though.

5th round pick by the Blackhawks, Giants selected him 8th in the Import Draft.

Uses his 6'5 218 frame, and a good skater and talented offensively. Might not be a fantastic pro prospect, but he looks like he could have the tools to be fairly dominant in Juniors. Should be fun to watch, especially if he is playing with Benson.

Is he Peters kid?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Went to The Coliseum for my team practice last year and it gave eberyone the chills. But I got to say that the tunnel to go on to the ice is pretty small. There were a couple of Giants players on the ice before us but couldn't really see them as they were on the other end of the rink. 

• 3 weeks later...

Three coaches in two years, and all Pratt and the Bro can come up with is, "Ron Toigo is a nice guy, and they'll get this turned around". Those green fees paid to these two is getting in their way of journalism. Something is amiss in this franchise, and having coaching turnovers at this rate isn't helping.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Three coaches in two years, and all Pratt and the Bro can come up with is, "Ron Toigo is a nice guy, and they'll get this turned around". Those green fees paid to these two is getting in their way of journalism. Something is amiss in this franchise, and having coaching turnovers at this rate isn't helping.

definitely not good .  I have no doubt they will turn it around . with the amount of talent they are stockpiling through season after brutal season , once they get the right g.m slash coach , they are probably going to win another memorial cup ..

if they are playing in Langley , i won't be going .  Ill cheer from home though 

• 1 month later...

Couldn't the Giant's get a deal on playing at Rogers Arena? Special pricing for Canucks/Giants double headers? It would certainly be great for Benning to have scouting in his own arena. More marketing options. You can just close the upper bowl for Giants games. 

6 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Definitely going to try catching a few Giants games next year now that they're a lot closer to me. Especially if the Canucks draft Benson or Ronning. If one of those happened it would probably give a little boost to ticket sales in the new building, actually...

I think Toigo should beg JB to draft a Giant if he can this June.

10 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Couldn't the Giant's get a deal on playing at Rogers Arena? Special pricing for Canucks/Giants double headers? It would certainly be great for Benning to have scouting in his own arena. More marketing options. You can just close the upper bowl for Giants games. 

Get a better deal than what they will get in Langley?  Not a chance.

I wonder if the Canucks would consider trying to arrange for their AHL farm team to play at the Pacific Coliseum now that it's been vacated by the Giants? Granted, there are no northwest team (though quite a few in California) and the Abbotsford Heat didn't succeed but I think things would be different if it was the Canuck's farm team. Having the farm team play in Utica would be good for getting call-ups on Eastern road trips but having the AHL team in Vancouver too would be great to get call-ups for home games.