Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Teenage Pot Smoking May Lower IQ for Life

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
77 replies to this topic

#31 Navyblue

Navyblue

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

There are vast numbers of legal substances that are as, or more, harmful than marijuana. It's stupid and short-sighted to single it out as a pariah and not reap the MANY benefits that would come from legalizing it, not the least of which would be vast tax income and better allocation of law enforcement resources.

Not to mention how many things we can use hemp for....

Oh I agree with you fully JR...but I wanted to be in before the daily smokers who don't do it to alleviate an illness. The ones who you run in to and are always half asleep with their top lip curled up, head cocked sideways with that doberman look.

Sorry, just a wee bit jaded by the many apprentices I've had to get rid of because they're always sporting huge bong-overs and can't do the job they're required to do. Then the others smoke it at lunch hour and say it doesn't affect them, right before calling me because they lost their keys to the shop and or forgot something and need me to drive to their site before the inspector shows up.

I've dealt with many pot heads and they all have the same bull. Sure there are some who can function (I am good friends with one), but for the most part, the article is very believable. All your points are correct, but not what I was getting at. Next time I'll elaborate.

Edited by Navyblue, 28 August 2012 - 03:27 PM.

Posted Image

#32 unknown33429

unknown33429

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

This is the first thing I thought. MOST pot heads aren't very bright in the first place.

I think they adjusted for that in the study. They are looking at same people over time, which means the initial IQ is irrelevant.

I wonder how they accounted for other factors. Maybe the pothead just didn't engage in activities that may have enhanced the IQ of others around him.

Are you CRAZY??? Trade Green for ONE first round pick?? He's restricted after this season.... He WILL get an offer sheet for 7-8 million from a number of teams regardless if he plays another minute for us or not. That offer sheet would be worth 4 first round draft choices.

Some fans overrate their players, and then there is this guy.

#33 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:35 PM

Yeah. Welders make $350k a year. If he had taken that truck driving course hed be up over a million a year right?

Owns a business, possesses a welding truck and works up north in Alberta. The 350k is his gross income.

Edited by Tystick, 28 August 2012 - 04:36 PM.

Posted Image

#34 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,675 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

Owns a business, possesses a welding truck and works up north in Alberta. The 350k is his gross income.

sounds about right.

#35 gurn

gurn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:27 PM

I'm about to do a study of my walk from the kitchen to the bedroom.
I believe that I MAY make it all the way safely.
However I could have a heart attack which MAY be caused by the exertion of walking.
Or I MAY be distracted and stop in the washroom for a bit.

MAY, might, could, seems to be, bla bla f ing bla.

Carlin had it right "It's all guess work in a lab coat".
He also posited that salivia causes cancer but only when swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time.

#36 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:05 PM

We produce THC in our bodies, so I have a difficult time believing that it would cause actual permanent brain damage.

We actually have thc receptors that intake thc we dont make it. Although we do produce this very similar chemical called Anandamide (AEA) essentially an endocannabinoid shaped the same as 2 naturally occuring neurotransmitters that occur in the body Aanandamide (for CB1) and Palmitylethanolamide (for CB2). Our bodies are littered with these types of receptors all over the body . It is the body's pain inhibitor system. Smoking pot chronically in your pre-teens can lead to some serious long lasting mental and behavioral side affects. Imagine you started drinking hard at 13 ? How do you think your overall mental and physical development would go from there ? Pot would be no different.

Edited by vanfan73, 28 August 2012 - 11:26 PM.

1987.jpg

On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami :ph34r:

#37 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,435 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:08 PM

Explains BC politics.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#38 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:08 PM

Yeah. Welders make $350k a year. If he had taken that truck driving course hed be up over a million a year right?

Lmao do you know how much a good welding truck costs guy ? You have no clue about big industry in Alberta do you ?

1987.jpg

#39 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,235 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:10 PM

So we can't smoke pot every of the time? :mellow:

FWYIerW.png

#40 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:11 PM

Oh you smoke can ever you want :emot-parrot:

1987.jpg

#41 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:12 PM

Just of some the time.
Posted Image

#42 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,675 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:12 PM

someone got started early tonight...

#43 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • 12,235 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:14 PM

someone got started early tonight...

I'll have you know I've never even smoked pot, I'm naturally just very unintelligent and giggly.

FWYIerW.png

#44 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:19 PM

Maybe you should change your name to BananaHash...

:P

Press the Panic Button! Posted Image

Posted Image
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl
Sig by .CM.

#45 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • 12,235 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:21 PM

Maybe you should change your name to BananaHash...

:P

It sort of rolls of the tongue in the same way if you have: AgramofHash

FWYIerW.png

#46 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,015 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:34 PM

IQ means nothing.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#47 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:36 PM

Perry Kendall, BC's Provincial Health Officer, says the study is consistent with other studies involving adolescents and marijuana. So it is not a one off study as claim by pot advocates.

On the other hand, it is heavy pot usage that affects the IQ of teenagers. It is doubtful that taking pot occasionally or moderately will harm you much.

#48 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,015 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:41 PM

Alright so lets make pot illegal for anyone under 19 just like alcohol and cigarettes.

What's so hard?
Posted Image

#49 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:46 PM

Alright so lets make pot illegal for anyone under 19 just like alcohol and cigarettes.

What's so hard?

I see high school kids smoking cigarettes all the time, yet it is illegal to sell to people under 19.

#50 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • 12,235 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:46 PM

The obvious answer is to smoke as much pot before you turn 13 and then smoke as much as you can from 20-death. Not smoking any as a teen = infinite brain.

Checkmate, scientific research.

FWYIerW.png

#51 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:54 PM

IQ means nothing.

It means Intelligent Quotient.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#52 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,015 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:10 AM

Tell me more captain obvious.
Posted Image

#53 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:04 AM

Tell me more captain obvious.

Sorry, can't do. You've already received your educational freebie for the day.

I'll be sure to tell you more the next time you utter something nonsensical.

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#54 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:04 AM

IQ means nothing.

Exactly right, but be careful insulting pedantic boy's buddy acronyms, he takes that stuff personally.

#55 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,675 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:31 AM

IQ means nothing.

that's just something that people with small IQ's say. It's not the size, but how you use it... right?

#56 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,261 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:17 AM

Based on a lot of my pot smoking friends, I believe this study.

Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#57 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,753 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:39 AM

Sorry it's a controlled substance (just like tobacco would be if tobacco was discovered in the 19th century).

For all you science types, here's the science take (from http://www.narcoticn...a-Narcotic-.php ):

Effects of Marijuana
On The Brain
Scientists have learned a great deal about how THC acts in the brain to produce its many effects. When someone smokes marijuana, THC rapidly passes from the lungs into the bloodstream, which carries the chemical to organs throughout the body, including the brain.
In the brain, THC connects to specific sites called cannabinoid receptors on nerve cells and influences the activity of those cells. Some brain areas have many cannabinoid receptors; others have few or none. Many cannabinoid receptors are found in the parts of the brain that influence pleasure, memory, thought, concentration, sensory and time perception, and coordinated movement.
The short-term effects of marijuana can include problems with memory and learning; distorted perception; difficulty in thinking and problem solving; loss of coordination; and increased heart rate. Research findings for long-term marijuana abuse indicate some changes in the brain similar to those seen after long-term abuse of other major drugs. For example, cannabinoid (THC or synthetic forms of THC) withdrawal in chronically exposed animals leads to an increase in the activation of the stress-response system and changes in the activity of nerve cells containing dopamine. Dopamine neurons are involved in the regulation of motivation and reward, and are directly or indirectly affected by all drugs of abuse.
On the Heart
One study has indicated that an abuser's risk of heart attack more than quadruples in the first hour after smoking marijuana. The researchers suggest that such an effect might occur from marijuana's effects on blood pressure and heart rate and reduced oxygen-carrying capacity of blood.
A study of 450 individuals found that people who smoke marijuana frequently but do not smoke tobacco have more health problems and miss more days of work than nonsmokers. Many of the extra sick days among the marijuana smokers in the study were for respiratory illnesses.
Even infrequent abuse can cause burning and stinging of the mouth and throat, often accompanied by a heavy cough. Someone who smokes marijuana regularly may have many of the same respiratory problems that tobacco smokers do, such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illness, a heightened risk of lung infections, and a greater tendency to obstructed airways. Smoking marijuana possibly increases the likelihood of developing cancer of the head or neck. A study comparing 173 cancer patients and 176 healthy individuals produced evidence that marijuana smoking doubled or tripled the risk of these cancers.
Marijuana abuse also has the potential to promote cancer of the lungs and other parts of the respiratory tract because it contains irritants and carcinogens. In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50 to 70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke. It also induces high levels of an enzyme that converts certain hydrocarbons into their carcinogenic form - levels that may accelerate the changes that ultimately produce malignant cells. Marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which increases the lungs' exposure to carcinogenic smoke. These facts suggest that, puff for puff, smoking marijuana may be more harmful to the lungs than smoking tobacco.
On the Lungs
A study of 450 individuals found that people who smoke marijuana frequently but do not smoke tobacco have more health problems and miss more days of work than nonsmokers. Many of the extra sick days among the marijuana smokers in the study were for respiratory illnesses.
Even infrequent abuse can cause burning and stinging of the mouth and throat, often accompanied by a heavy cough. Someone who smokes marijuana regularly may have many of the same respiratory problems that tobacco smokers do, such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illness, a heightened risk of lung infections, and a greater tendency to obstructed airways. Smoking marijuana possibly increases the likelihood of developing cancer of the head or neck. A study comparing 173 cancer patients and 176 healthy individuals produced evidence that marijuana smoking doubled or tripled the risk of these cancers.
Marijuana abuse also has the potential to promote cancer of the lungs and other parts of the respiratory tract because it contains irritants and carcinogens. In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50 to 70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke. It also induces high levels of an enzyme that converts certain hydrocarbons into their carcinogenic form - levels that may accelerate the changes that ultimately produce malignant cells. Marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which increases the lungs' exposure to carcinogenic smoke. These facts suggest that, puff for puff, smoking marijuana may be more harmful to the lungs than smoking tobacco.
Additional Health Effects
Some of marijuana's adverse health effects may occur because THC impairs the immune system's ability to fight disease. In laboratory experiments that exposed animal and human cells to THC or other marijuana ingredients, the normal disease-preventing reactions of many of the key types of immune cells were inhibited. In other studies, mice exposed to THC or related substances were more likely than unexposed mice to develop bacterial infections and tumors.
Research clearly demonstrates that marijuana has the potential to cause problems in daily life or make a person's existing problems worse. Depression, anxiety, and personality disturbances have been associated with chronic marijuana use. Because marijuana compromises the ability to learn and remember information, the more a person uses marijuana the more he or she is likely to fall behind in accumulating intellectual, job, or social skills. Moreover, research has shown that marijuana's adverse impact on memory and learning can last for days or weeks after the acute effects of the drug wear off.
Students who smoke marijuana get lower grades and are less likely to graduate from high school, compared with their nonsmoking peers. A study of 129 college students found that, among those who smoked the drug at least 27 of the 30 days prior to being surveyed, critical skills related to attention, memory, and learning were significantly impaired, even after the students had not taken the drug for at least 24 hours. These "heavy" marijuana abusers had more trouble sustaining and shifting their attention and in registering, organizing, and using information than did the study participants who had abused marijuana no more than 3 of the previous 30 days. As a result, someone who smokes marijuana every day may be functioning at a reduced intellectual level all of the time.
More recently, the same researchers showed that the ability of a group of long-term heavy marijuana abusers to recall words from a list remained impaired for a week after quitting, but returned to normal within 4 weeks. Thus, some cognitive abilities may be restored in individuals who quit smoking marijuana, even after long-term heavy use.
Workers who smoke marijuana are more likely than their coworkers to have problems on the job. Several studies associate workers' marijuana smoking with increased absences, tardiness, accidents, workers' compensation claims, and job turnover. A study among postal workers found that employees who tested positive for marijuana on a pre-employment urine drug test had 55 percent more industrial accidents, 85 percent more injuries, and a 75-percent increase in absenteeism compared with those who tested negative for marijuana use. In another study, heavy marijuana abusers reported that the drug impaired several important measures of life achievement including cognitive abilities, career status, social life, and physical and mental health.

Edited by Heretic, 29 August 2012 - 08:40 AM.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#58 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:12 AM

Exactly right, but be careful insulting pedantic boy's buddy acronyms, he takes that stuff personally.

Oh look who crawled out from under his bridge. Still smarting I see. Your perpetual butt-hurt makes me happy. ::D

"buddy acronyms"?? Speaking of nonsense. :rolleyes:

#59 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:36 AM

Oh look who crawled out from under his bridge.

:bigblush:

#60 Eh! Team

Eh! Team

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

A 40 year study of 1037 New Zealanders show teenagers who were heavy pot users show lower IQs of eight points over time. The lower IQ scores did not recover when they became older.

http://www.theglobea...article4503763/

It's because your brain is still developing. Have you noticed it says "heavy" pot smokers. That's like saying your destroying your brain when you "heavily" drink. No crap. A heavy amount of anything isn't good.

What's next are we going to spend millions to do a study to prove water is wet. Makes me wonder why we still pay taxes.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.