The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Obama vs Romney 2012 - CDC Election

Columbo

Obama vs Romney  

327 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Correction, there used to be logical reasons for those procedures to exist. Now they're just a tactic to slow every process and make Obama fail. Last term Republicans blocked essentially every single presidential appointment, almost always without any reason whatsoever. They even blocked people that their own party had supported for certain roles. It's a double whammy, first it makes sure that nothing gets done in the country, and 2nd, when Obama makes recess appointments to get around the blocks they can attack him for being "unconstitutional". The filibuster these days is just a complete joke.

These days? :lol:

You know what's so funny is these very things you are saying are exactly what Republican nuts were saying about the filibuster 10 years ago (go back another 10 years again) when they had 55 in their caucus, especially when in typical media-alluring hyperbole, were going to use another parliamentary procedure to remove the filibuster, dubbed, "nuclear option".

The saddest part about this type of convenient memory is it aptly describes the hopelessly polarised US political landscape in the 21st century.

While JFK was a popular president whose achievments included , creating the Peace Corps, saw the first American sent to space, and gave residents of the District of Columbia the right to vote in Presidential elections. During the Cuban Missile Crisis his cabinet wanted to use nuclear weapons, the generals wanted to use nuclear weapons, and Kennedy refused to listen and brokered peace, averting nuclear war.

But he was a morally flawed man , and i believe that this must be taken into account when you measure the man .

Ted Nugent is a big time gun nut/hunter type. He's big on concealed carry laws in the US (i.e the right to have a snubnose pistol/revolver on you at all times). He's also on the board of directors on the NRA. Nugent is afraid the big bad Obama will take his toys away from him.

And another Romney gaffe - a Mitt in the Mouth???

Talking during a conference call to wealthy donors to his campaign - the same sort of group where he made his other famous gaffe during the campaign that 47 percent of Americans are "dependent on government" and see themselves as "victims" - Romney said this:

Romney Blames Loss on Obama’s ‘Gifts’ to Minorities and Young Voters

Saying that he and his team still felt “troubled” by his loss to President Obama, Mitt Romney on Wednesday attributed his defeat in part to what he called big policy “gifts” that the president had bestowed on loyal Democratic constituencies, including young voters, African-Americans and Hispanics.

In a conference call with fund-raisers and donors to his campaign, Mr. Romney said Wednesday afternoon that the president had followed the “old playbook” of using targeted initiatives to woo specific interest groups — “especially the African-American community, the Hispanic community and young people.”

“In each case, they were very generous in what they gave to those groups,” Mr. Romney said, contrasting Mr. Obama’s strategy to his own of “talking about big issues for the whole country: military strategy, foreign policy, a strong economy, creating jobs and so forth.”

Mr. Romney’s comments in the 20-minute conference call came after his running mate, Representative Paul D. Ryan of Wisconsin, told WISC-TV in Madison on Monday that their loss was a result of Mr. Obama’s strength in “urban areas,” an analysis that did not account for Mr. Obama’s victories in more rural states like Iowa and New Hampshire or the decrease in the number of votes for the president relative to 2008 in critical urban counties in Ohio.

“With regards to the young people, for instance, a forgiveness of college loan interest was a big gift,” Mr. Romney said. “Free contraceptives were very big with young, college-aged women. And then, finally, Obamacare also made a difference for them, because as you know, anybody now 26 years of age and younger was now going to be part of their parents’ plan, and that was a big gift to young people. They turned out in large numbers, a larger share in this election even than in 2008.”

The president’s health care plan, he said, was also a useful tool in mobilizing black and Hispanic voters. Though Mr. Romney won the white vote with 59 percent, according to exit polls, minorities coalesced around the president in overwhelming numbers: 93 percent of blacks and 71 percent of Hispanics.

“You can imagine for somebody making $25,000 or $30,000 or $35,000 a year, being told you’re now going to get free health care, particularly if you don’t have it, getting free health care worth, what, $10,000 per family, in perpetuity — I mean, this is huge,” Mr. Romney said. “Likewise with Hispanic voters, free health care was a big plus. But in addition with regards to Hispanic voters, the amnesty for children of illegals, the so-called Dream Act kids, was a huge plus for that voting group.”

Nationwide, Mr. Obama won a slightly smaller share of 18- to 29-year-old voters than he did in 2008, according to exit polls, though he increased his share in battleground states like Florida, Ohio and Virginia. Exit polls showed little appreciable difference between Mr. Obama’s performance among black voters nationwide and in many swing states in this election and in 2008. Among Hispanic voters nationwide, Mr. Obama won a greater share in 2012 than in 2008, but perhaps more important, he succeeded in increasing the share of Hispanic voters among the total voting population in key states, including Colorado and Nevada, exit polls showed.

During the call, Mr. Romney was by turns disappointed and pragmatic, expressing his frustration at the outcome on Election Day. A person who was on the call, which included hundreds of participants, let The New York Times listen in.

“I’m very sorry that we didn’t win,” Mr. Romney said on the call. “I know that you expected to win, we expected to win, we were disappointed with the result, we hadn’t anticipated it, and it was very close, but close doesn’t count in this business.”

He continued: “And so now we’re looking and saying, ‘O.K., what can we do going forward?’ But frankly, we’re still so troubled by the past, it’s hard to put together our plans for the future.”

He added that he was hoping to find a way for the close-knit group, which excelled in fund-raising but was ultimately unable to propel him into the Oval Office, “to stay connected so that we can stay informed and have influence on the direction of the party, and perhaps the selection of a future nominee, which, by the way, will not be me.” (He suggested an annual meeting, as well as a monthly newsletter.).

http://thecaucus.blo...d-young-voters/

Nothing to do with his own poorly run campaign, the inability to read polls, listening to strategists with their heads in the sand, inability to get the vote out, the inherent (and sometimes outright) racism to blacks, Latinos and other minorities or the religious whackos running for the Republicans who made mind boggling comments on rape and abortion of course.

And Romney's remarks were met with disbelief by moderate Republicans such as Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal who was left shaking his head.

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal forcefully rejected Mitt Romney’s claim that he lost because of President Barack Obama’s “gifts” to minorities and young voters.

Asked about the failed GOP nominee’s reported comments on a conference call with donors earlier Wednesday, the incoming chairman of the Republican Governors Association became visibly agitated.

“No, I think that’s absolutely wrong,” he said at a press conference that opened the RGA’s post-election meeting here. “Two points on that: One, we have got to stop dividing the American voters. We need to go after 100 percent of the votes, not 53 percent. We need to go after every single vote.

“And, secondly, we need to continue to show how our policies help every voter out there achieve the American Dream, which is to be in the middle class, which is to be able to give their children an opportunity to be able to get a great education. … So, I absolutely reject that notion, that description. I think that’s absolutely wrong.”

He reiterated the points for emphasis.

“I don’t think that represents where we are as a party and where we’re going as a party,” he said. “That has got to be one of the most fundamental takeaways from this election: If we’re going to continue to be a competitive party and win elections on the national stage and continue to fight for our conservative principles, we need two messages to get out loudly and clearly: One, we are fighting for 100 percent of the votes, and secondly, our policies benefit every American who wants to pursue the American dream. Period. No exceptions.”

Then, without prompting, Jindal circled back to the topic as the press conference wrapped up.

Considered a likely candidate for the Republican presidential nomination in 2016, he blamed Romney’s defeat last week on his failure to outline a vision for where he wanted to take the country.

“Gov. Romney’s an honorable person that needs to be thanked for his many years of public service, but his campaign was largely about his biography and his experience,” he said. “And it’s a very impressive biography and very impressive set of experiences. But time and time again, biography and experience is not enough to win an election. You have to have a vision. You have to connect your policies to the aspirations of the American people. I don’t think the campaign did that, and as a result this became a contest between personalities. And you know what? Chicago won that.”

http://www.politico....l#ixzz2CGKNbx4m

Funny that you bring him up. I was just talking after the election with some American friends about the contrast between race in US and Canadian politics. Parizeau (who I recall was pretty drunk during that speech) blames immigrants etc for the loss and his political career was basically over. Contrast that to people in red states who actually probably benefit electorally from those types of comments.

True, it didn't start with today's senate, filibuster abuse has been around for decades. But it's been getting progressively worse and it's never been as bad as it is now.

Dems of 10 years ago overused it to block all sorts of common-sense legislation, but they didn't just go to it by default to block every single common-sense, unanimously approved presidential nomination. To the extent it's happening today, it's both ridiculous and unprecedented.

For example:

Wish there were more Youtube videos about the Bush nominee obstruction, but if one questions what Jeff Sessions is saying and this obstruction didn't occur, there's a lengthy Wiki listing of obstruction, and I've seen the Obama one is highly exaggerated, they look pretty close to identical:

Funny that you bring him up. I was just talking after the election with some American friends about the contrast between race in US and Canadian politics. Parizeau (who I recall was pretty drunk during that speech) blames immigrants etc for the loss and his political career was basically over. Contrast that to people in red states who actually probably benefit electorally from those types of comments.

Bob FitzSimmonds, Virginia GOP Official, Predicts Obama 'Goes To Hell'

The Huffington Post | By Laura Bassett

http://www.huffingto..._n_2138870.html

Posted:11/15/2012 3:24 pm ESTUpdated:11/15/2012 3:44 pm EST

Bob FitzSimmonds, an official in the Virginia Republican Party and close ally of Virginia gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli, posted a comment on his Facebook page Wednesday that predicts President Barack Obama's eternal damnation.

Bob FitzSimmonds, an official in the Virginia Republican Party and close ally of Virginia gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli, posted a comment on his Facebook page Wednesday that predicts President Barack Obama's eternal damnation.

"When Obama is 90 years old and he dies and goes to Hell, he is going to say 'This is all Bush's fault,'" FitzSimmonds wrote.

original.jpg

FitzSimmonds, who previously worked as a legislative aide for Cuccinelli and ran unsuccessfully for the Virginia state Senate, now serves as chief deputy clerk for Prince William Circuit Court and treasurer of the Virginia Republican Party's State Central Committee. He told the Hampton Roads Pilot in an email Thursday that he sees nothing wrong with his comment about the president.

"My Facebook post was not about Obama going to Hell," he said. "It was about his obsession with blame shifting and I don't really see anything inappropriate about it."

Cuccinelli's campaign spokesman, Noah Wall, said the Virginia attorney general disagrees with FitzSimmonds' assessment. "Mr. FitzSimmonds does not speak for our campaign," Wall said.

Brian Moran, chairman of the Virginia Democratic Party, issued a statement on Thursday urging Cuccinelli and the Virginia GOP to condemn FitzSimmonds' statement.

Archived