The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Obama vs Romney 2012 - CDC Election

Columbo

Obama vs Romney  

327 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have to say, former RNC chair Michael Steele was excellent on Bill Maher this week. Where was this guy when republicans needed a centrist?

I mean this is a guy that can actually speak to liberal social policies without defaulting on his core beliefs of small government. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it has become shameful that social views have tainted the way we view the election. So much has become an issue of rape, of women, of minority groups, affirmative action plans, issues long settled in the 60s and 70s. But somehow these clowns have to rewind the very basic Republican policy on abortion of 1980, which even then acknowledged exceptions in rape and incest. Man if only both parties could ignore the fluff, and join the rest of the world in the 21st century then I'm sure substantive issues like the economy and foreign policy could actually get discussed. Just my tangent.

Mark Levin lost my interest when he decided to act like a nine year old and Mock Obama with that fake whiny tone.

Levin was exposed as a child just after 1 minute in. I've heard more maturity than that on Stern; which is too bad because he was bringing up a good point that could have made for a good discussion at that point.

Of course most of the young folks here would say Obama, I doubt very much they pay any taxes.

America is the engine that drives the worlds economy. Obama is a sociaist and bad for business plain and simple. What effects the US directly effects Canada. Obama has brought the US to the brink of financial ruin and stolen the next generations financial freedom with his huge spending sprees and record defecits.

We are getting closer every day to the tipping point where half the people pay taxes and the other half recieves taxes. Where are you in that equation?

No thanks to the commie Obama.

Of course most of the young folks here would say Obama, I doubt very much they pay any taxes.

America is the engine that drives the worlds economy. Obama is a sociaist and bad for business plain and simple. What effects the US directly effects Canada. Obama has brought the US to the brink of financial ruin and stolen the next generations financial freedom with his huge spending sprees and record defecits.

We are getting closer every day to the tipping point where half the people pay taxes and the other half recieves taxes. Where are you in that equation?

No thanks to the commie Obama.

Poor People DO NOT pay income taxes. Both the US and Canadian Tax system have a progressive tax system based on the ability to pay. Unless a certain tax threshold, you do not pay income taxes. I believe it is around $10,000 for single people in Canada. The amount is higher for married people and for seniors.

However, the middle class do pay most of the taxes, simply because they are the biggest group. Rich people, say income over $250,000 a year is a relatively small group of people. Studies have shown that even if taxes are raised for them, the additional revenue raised will do little to solve the debt problem.

Rich people do not get subsidies. They may get capital gains, which is taxed differently. As for corporations getting subsidies, not really. They are are allowed to write off expenses and losses as a cost of doing business. So they do get a lot of loopholes they can use.

Milt Romney was pillorized for saying 47% do not pay taxes, which is a true statement in regards to income tax. But the 47% do pay sales taxes. But then low income people get gst/Hst rebates in Canada to offset the sales tax.

Poor People DO NOT pay income taxes. Both the US and Canadian Tax system have a progressive tax system based on the ability to pay. Unless a certain tax threshold, you do not pay income taxes. I believe it is around $10,000 for single people in Canada. The amount is higher for married people and for seniors.

However, the middle class do pay most of the taxes, simply because they are the biggest group. Rich people, say income over $250,000 a year is a relatively small group of people. Studies have shown that even if taxes are raised for them, the additional revenue raised will do little to solve the debt problem.

Rich people do not get subsidies. They may get capital gains, which is taxed differently. As for corporations getting subsidies, not really. They are are allowed to write off expenses and losses as a cost of doing business. So they do get a lot of loopholes they can use.

Milt Romney was pillorized for saying 47% do not pay taxes, which is a true statement in regards to income tax. But the 47% do pay sales taxes. But then low income people get gst/Hst rebates in Canada to offset the sales tax.

Very poor people don't pay income tax, yes. (I believe the threshold for BC is $11,000 per year, but you have to admit that that's WELL below the poverty line). But they still pay sales tax, which as a proportion of their income is usually much higher than rich people pay. Here they may get GST rebates but Canada is not the States.

And then when you get to the middle class, say someone making around $50,000, well then they ARE paying more income tax than Mitt Romney. It's a fact. When you add their income tax and other payroll taxes, plus the sales tax they pay (because a guy making $50,000 is spending a larger chunk of his money than a guy making 5 million), a middle class individual's tax burden is far larger than a person like Romney's. And that's not even under a Romney presidency, the discrepancy would be even worse if he won.

Archived