The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Obama vs Romney 2012 - CDC Election

Columbo

Obama vs Romney  

327 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

File this under "Wow, Was That Quick"...

Why Romney Lost (And What The GOP Can Do About It) by former George W. Bush speechwriter David Frum is already out as a Newsweek e-book.

http://www.amazon.co...S/thedaibea-20/

2012-11-09-frumbook.jpg

Seems like Frum unlike other deluded Republicans, read the tea leaves early on - probably his Canadian heritage negating the nuttiness. And here is how he explains his conservative and Republican pedigree:

I'm a conservative Republican, have been all my adult life. I volunteered for the Reagan campaign in 1980. I've attended every Republican convention since 1988. I was president of the Federalist Society chapter at my law school, worked on the editorial page of The Wall Street Journal and wrote speeches for President Bush--not the "Read My Lips" Bush, the "Axis of Evil" Bush. I served on the Giuliani campaign in 2008 and voted for John McCain in November. I supported the Iraq War and (although I feel kind of silly about it in retrospect) the impeachment of Bill Clinton. I could go on, but you get the idea.

His main point is that President Barack Obama didn't win Tuesday's election as much as former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney lost it. And he provides a laundry list of outrageous comments and characterizations from conservative media flacks that successfully drove a wedge between the GOP and black and Hispanic voters.

As Frum writes (noting the irony) "by insisting so emphatically on ferocious, militant ideology, the GOP rewards most those who believe the least, because only cynics and nihilists will make the transition from the real world of governance to the make-believe world of party purity tests." :handclap:

Here is a review of the book by Dan McDermott (a former award-winning radio talk show host. He lives in Bentonville and Lynchburg, Va., where he publishes three newspapers: Warren County Report, The Lynchburg Times and Frederick County Report) who blogs at The Huffington Post.

Frum argues that the Republican party has become the party of "yesterday's America," noting that while the GOP won 5 out of 6 elections from 1968 to 1988 by a comfortable average 5 point margin, since 1988, Republicans have won the majority of the popular vote only once out of 6 presidential elections and then by the slimmest of margins: 50.73%.

Frum notes that while Obama is the most activist and expansionist president since Lyndon Johnson, the congressional Republican leadership made a series of miscalculations that (accurately) portrayed them as weak and ineffectual, including their refusal to work out a compromise on the Affordable Care Act and stalling an increase in the debt ceiling to push Paul Ryan's budget which had zero chance of passing and wouldn't have balanced the budget until 2040.

And while all of this was going on, the GOP's answer to the job crisis was to lower taxes on wealthier Americans while offering nothing to convince middle class Americans they could help them afford college and medical care or even stay in their homes.

With eyes glued to Fox News Channel and ears tuned to talk radio, conservatives were convinced that an African(-American?) in the White House was secretly plotting with Arabs to launch jihad against America. They thought that voters in swing states faced with losing their homes and jobs would vote on Fast and Furious or the lax security at a consulate in Libya.

These are the conservatives Romney was speaking to when he wrote off 47% of Americans he felt were sitting on a couch, waiting for Uncle Sam to feed, clothe, medicate and house them.

http://www.huffingto..._b_2097340.html

And Frum has a new column out in Newsweek - How the GOP Got Stuck in the Past - The finger-pointing misses a bigger truth: Republicans have become estranged from modern America. Why fixating on the old glory days is bogging down the party’s future.. In that column he nutshells the arguments he puts forward in his e-book.

The Republican Party is becoming increasingly isolated and estranged from modern America. In the quarter century since 1988, there have been six presidential elections. Only once—once!—did the Republican candidate win a majority of the popular vote, and then by the miserable margin of 50.73 percent.

The ratification of the Obama agenda will understandably enrage and depress conservatives. Yet if there is any lesson conservatives ought to have learned from the past four years, it is the danger of succumbing to angry emotion. We’ve had four years of self-defeating rage. Now it’s time for cool.

Those who would urge the GOP to double down on ideology post-2012 should ask themselves: would Republicans have done better if we had promised a bigger tax cut for the rich and proposed to push more people off food stamps and Medi*caid? Would we have done better if we had promised to do more to ban abortion and stop same-sex marriage? If we had committed ourselves to fight more wars? To put the country on the gold standard? Almost half of those surveyed on voting day said they wanted to see taxes raised on Americans earning more than $250,000. Exit polls do tend to oversample Democrats, but the tax result is consistent with other polling that has found that even Republicans would prefer to raise taxes on the rich than see cuts in Medicare.

The Mitt Romney who began seeking the presidency in the early 2000s—the savior of the 2002 Olympics, the author of Romneycare, the man who’d redirected Boston’s “Big Dig”—was exactly the candidate the Republican Party needed by 2012: competent, managerial, pragmatic. Unfortunately, in the interval, Romney had been refashioned into something very different—to the point where nobody knew really what he was; to the point where even he may no longer have known.

On the Republican side, the road to renewal begins with this formula: 21st-century conservatism must become economically inclusive, environmentally responsible, culturally modern, and intellectually credible.

I can remember a Republican Party that was not backward-looking. I can remember a Republican Party excited by science and its possibilities. I can remember a Republican Party that regarded those Americans who thought differently not as aliens and enemies, but as fellow citizens who had not yet been convinced of the merit of our ideas.

The work of developing a conservative policy agenda adequate to the 21st century will require months or even years. It must involve many people. Political work is collaborative work, and although we all have our 10-point plans, the immediate need is for a plan with just this one goal: we must emancipate ourselves from prior mistakes and adapt to contemporary realities. To be a patriot is to love your country as it is. Those who seem to despise half of Amer*ica will never be trusted to govern any of it. Those who cherish only the country’s past will not be entrusted with its future.

http://www.thedailyb...n-the-past.html

Reminds me of that snowboarder Lindsey Jacobellis a few years ago who decided to try and bust out a little trick as she was cruising towards the finish line and ended up losing Olympic gold after she fell. Though I don't know if the analogy is that sound, this was never going to be an easy ride for Mitt.

2012 election costs could reach record $5.8 billion

By Catalina Camia, USA TODAY

Updated 2012-08-02 10:33 AM

campaign-moneyx-inset-community.jpg

A record $5.8 billion could be spent on the 2012 elections.

CAPTION

By Oscar Siagan, AFP/Getty Images

Total spending on the presidential and congressional races this year is on pace to reach a record $5.8 billion, according to a new analysis.

The non-partisan Center for Responsive Politics estimates the total cost of the 2012 elections will jump 7% from $5.4 billion four years ago and could "come close" this year to reaching $6 billion.

One factor that could change the bottom line: Spending by super PACs and other outside groups that don't have to reveal their donors, which have multiplied in the wake of a Supreme Court ruling.

"Although a lot of money still remains to be raised and spent, the data already show that we're on track to break the extraordinary, record-setting sums spent in 2008," said Sheila Krumholz, executive director of the Center for Responsive Politics.

"More important than the total spent, the real difference this cycle is how great a portion of that money will come from purportedly independent, often secretive groups," Krumholz said.

The center estimates the race for the White House will cost $2.5 billion. USA TODAY's Fredreka Schouten reported recently that the presidential battle has already crossed the $1 billion mark, based on spending by the candidates, political parties and two super PACs tied to President Obama and Mitt Romney.

The center's estimates on the total cost of the 2012 presidential and congressional elections are based on current and projected spending by candidates, political parties, tax-exempt groups, super PACs and other outside groups, plus what will be spent on the political conventions.

This is a freakin joke, what an absolute waste of money .

It disgusts me as well. Just think of all that is truly wasted with just the Presidential nominations.

I remember when Hilary was running and in her speeches she would spew out about how much her campaign was raising..............and in the end all the money was for nothing.

:sick::sadno:

Or perhaps you could maybe... JUST NOT CLICK ON A US ELECTION THREAD.

Seems an obvious solution rather than dictating to others what they can post.

A radical solution perhaps but one that it seems many professing fundamentalism have problems with implementing. Freedom of speech as long as it is something I want to hear, eh?

Wow...get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning or didn't get your coffee today?

Helllloooo??? McFLy!

IT WAS A JOKE.

Edit: How about take your own advice? "Seems an obvious solution rather than dictating to others what they can post. A radical solution perhaps but one that it seems many professing fundamentalism have problems with implementing. Freedom of speech as long as it is something I want to hear, eh?" You don't like what someone else posts - DON"T READ IT.

Archived