Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Obama vs Romney 2012 - CDC Election

• Please log in to reply
2022 replies to this topic

Poll: Obama vs Romney (329 member(s) have cast votes)

Who would you vote for?

1. Obama (279 votes [85.32%])

Percentage of vote: 85.32%

2. Romney (48 votes [14.68%])

Percentage of vote: 14.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#361 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,752 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:52 PM

Oh god, ScarJo is up next. She never struck me as a bright one.

I think she has a degree or two and speaks multiple languages. Maybe I'm thinking about someone else...

Either way she makes me weak in the knees :lol:
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#362 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:01 PM

I think she has a degree or two and speaks multiple languages. Maybe I'm thinking about someone else...

She stuck to simple topic, that's good - get out and vote!

I couldn't help but notice she said she had her first chance to vote in 2008, when she was 24... she had a chance before that.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#363 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,776 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:01 PM

My goodness JR .. I had no idea a cunning linguist could lay you low .. B)

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#364 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:28 PM

THAT DOG DON'T HUNT

2d7ye0p.jpg

#365 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,776 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:30 PM

THAT DOG DON'T HUNT

Jennifer Granholm was Canadian born, and she was stirring the pot .. love that lady!! .. Schweitzer is a real smart guy too .. throwing that GOP rhetoric back at em had got to raise their hackles, so to speak .. :lol:

Edited by Tearloch7, 06 September 2012 - 05:31 PM.

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#366 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:49 PM

Elizabeth Banks and Olivia Wilde

*drools*

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#367 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,823 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

john kerry gave it to mitt pretty good
Posted Image

#368 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,776 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:00 PM

john kerry gave it to mitt pretty good

If he had had that passion in 2004 he may have won ..

#369 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,823 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

If he had had that passion in 2004 he may have won ..

many political pundits said his campaign didnt have a good response to the swift boat veterans thing. the GOP now is doing the same thing about bin ladin thing with the navy seals book.
Posted Image

#370 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

Use this link to watch the convention on Youtube.

You can switch between 3 different feeds/camera angles.

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#371 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,938 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

Well, I actually forced myself to watch a good chunk of both of these conventions.

I just can't imagine a world where people think Romney is a better choice.

#372 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,776 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:11 PM

Well, I actually forced myself to watch a good chunk of both of these conventions.

Indeed .. if the American people choose Mitt, then they deserve exactly what they get .. sadly, the rest of the world is at the whim of an ignorant electorate

#373 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,402 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:14 PM

Natalie Portman? She's fits that description.

And she is an anti-zionist Israeli which makes me all gushy.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#374 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:25 PM

It's probably because reality is your principle point of view, as opposed to those who'll vote Republican this election, where reality is an dismissable alternative.

#375 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:25 PM

Good speech by BO.

Very workmanlike and very presidential.

Edited by Sharpshooter, 06 September 2012 - 08:26 PM.

#376 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,823 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

Indeed .. if the American people choose Mitt, then they deserve exactly what they get .. sadly, the rest of the world is at the whim of an ignorant electorate

I'll move back to Canada if Mitt is elected.
Posted Image

#377 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,776 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:40 PM

Good speech by BO.

Very workmanlike and very presidential.

He is a unique individual who deserves better than the lot he has been cast .. imagine his frustration at not being able to facilitate the change he truly believes in ..

#378 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:46 PM

The pundits made the point that Romney, not once mentioned the troops at home or at war. The Dems sure went after him over his blunders over the summer on his foray into foreign policy. Romney, if elected would scare the bejesus out of me if I were an American.

#379 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:47 PM

He is a unique individual who deserves better than the lot he has been cast .. imagine his frustration at not being able to facilitate the change he truly believes in ..

His frustration is with his opposition, not his beliefs.

#380 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:32 PM

I feel bad for Biden, this is a guy who will have debated Sarah Palin and Paul Ryan. It's kind of like Usain Bolt running in the special Olympics - he'll win but was it really a fair fight?

2d7ye0p.jpg

#381 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:23 PM

I feel bad for Biden, this is a guy who will have debated Sarah Palin and Paul Ryan. It's kind of like Usain Bolt running in the special Olympics - he'll win but was it really a fair fight?

Gawd, I remember her once calling him O'Biden. :picard:

Friggin Caribou Barbie had no business being possibly a heartbeat away from the Presidency.

#382 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:27 PM

^ a 72 y/o's heartbeat away from presidency. I think Paul is this year's equivalent, given his reputation for voting down sensible Democratic bills and his batsh*t budget there is a lot of crap that can be thrown his way.

2d7ye0p.jpg

#383 Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:41 PM

Gawd, I remember her once calling him O'Biden. :picard:

Friggin Caribou Barbie had no business being possibly a heartbeat away from the Presidency.

That idiot had no business being in politics. Period.

#384 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:37 PM

She was great. I've admittedly had a crush on her for a couple of years now though. I could listen to her for a very long time as well. Smart and succinct is the only way I could describe her.

And I thought Clinton did well in delivering a motivating speech.....which is what is was designed to be for the audience in the building, comprised of mainly confirmed supporters, and for those at home, many who are also supporters of the Dem party....but also for those who haven't made up their minds. If you want to pejoratively call supporters of political party or the face of one or of an ideology, then I suppose that's ok. We're all 'lemmings' then in some form or fashion, aren't we? And by we, I mean you as well.

And by hardly true, do you mean there's a little truth to it, or none at all and the suggestion that there's a little truth is unbelievable?

Clinton knocked it out of the ballpark man. Even I was questioning my views for a moment, until I remembered Warren's speech anyway. You know, the one where she talks about Wall Street bankers enjoying golden parachutes and avoiding jail? That set me sober real quick. Clinton's speech was certainly verbal ice cream for the obese Democrats.

I am calling those who get teary-eyed listening to Clinton and co. thinking those guys are fighting the good fight. I wouldn't call you a lemming based on your self-admitted lack of illusions about the Democratic party, I would those in the crowd waving Obama posters and babies such. So no, we're not all lemmings, just those of us who are being fooled by the political theater.

By "hardly true" I meant none at all. Whether it's unbelievable or not.. I could be convinced with less selective policies that benefit the majority of citizens. You know what those two parties remind me of? Rogers and Bell, they both have some low priced items, but others that gouge the customer, and they don't compete on those. They compete on marketing, that is, fooling people into thinking they're getting a deal.

I said above that you lack illusions of the Democratic party. Why are you enthusiastic about it? If you lack illusions, you must hold a similar opinion to mine: they're both out to screw everyone, just to various degrees. Your support for the party won't increase their chances at all, so there's no tangible benefit to vocally support them. Is this a case of a wrestler supporter who knows it's all bull but cheers for a favorite anyway? Your enthusiasm confuses me.

Do the positives outweigh the negatives? I hold that they do not, and more I think the positives are on purpose marginally better than the other guy.

Edited by Satan's Evil Twin, 06 September 2012 - 11:37 PM.

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#385 YaK

YaK

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:40 PM

Watched the majority of both conventions... I really don't know how this is even close. The Dems communicated the much stronger message. For various reasons I watched the Republican convention on CNN and the Democratic convention on MSNBC. While I think that the Dems are the saner of the two parties down there... man is MSNBC ever becoming a cheerleader.
Posted Image
"It felt almost like it was a dream," Burrows said of his game-winner.
"But guys jumped on me and I couldn't breathe, so I knew it was right."

#386 YaK

YaK

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:53 PM

Posted ImageDon't care.

I care somewhat...
I work on bulk freighters that often ship the raw materials from Canadian ports to the American rust belt... American economic recovery is important to me and I. AM. CANADIAN.

Our economies are tied in so many other ways too.
Posted Image
"It felt almost like it was a dream," Burrows said of his game-winner.
"But guys jumped on me and I couldn't breathe, so I knew it was right."

#387 Zamboni_14

Zamboni_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:24 AM

Fair enough, I understand what you're saying. By the way, I hadn't checked out politifact.com before you mentioned it, now I have, and you're right, they seem to have no biases at all.

Here is one problem I have with only looking there though. For people like you, who are presumably intelligent, open-minded, and well informed about current issues, it's great, because you can look at the facts and make up your own mind. But for those less in tune than you (i.e. most Americans), you can run into the same problem I was mentioning before - you look at the site, say "well look, both sides clearly lie a lot" and call it even again. Which would be completely wrong if one side lies way blatantly and way more often than the other. You don't really get the big picture... for example, right now the DNC is the big media event, so every quote on that page is from Dems. A lot of them aren't rated "completely true" so if I just look at that, it looks like Dems are the big liars. Right now I have to go pretty far back to see GOP lies.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that while this site is an incredibly valuable tool, it needs analysis to go with it. Politifact tells you how accurate certain individual statements were, but it doesn't tell you much about either party's platform or how they'll affect Americans. That's what the media's job should be, and I think we can agree that they fail terribly. You're right now that you mention it, most of TYT's anti-Obama videos attack him for not being progressive enough. But if you watch all their videos in-depth, you'll see that they provide facts to support everything they say, they won't shy away from attacking Dems, and they'll always do their best to weed out biases. They may be personally biased towards an ideology, but within that context they'll still give you the plain and honest truth, which separates them from most others. Also, Cenk (the main host) unrelentlessly attacks both sides for all the money that's in politics and time after time calls it the biggest problem in America, which other media outlets would never dare do.

So to sum up... politifact.com is an extremely useful and unbiased tool. But for the general public, you need proper analysis to put everything into context. The mainstream media isn't doing their job, so you need to look elsewhere, and for now, TYT is the best I have seen.

edit, also wanted to add - when TYT attacks Obama for not being progressive enough, it is almost always in the context of his own campaign promises.

Edit; I'm leaving out most of the TYT specifics from your above post, because I think we have a common ground on that now... or at least an understanding of where we are coming from on our views.

I'm going to disagree... slightly... on the idea of the media's job being to explain how things will effect people. When the media tries to explain things, that's when they have a total failure. People like Maddow, Hannity, Beck, etc. do that all the time, and that's where the biggest lies/spin comes from. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind having an opinion based show... but don't allow it to be advertised as "fact" or give them "freedom of the press" if it's nothing but slander and spin. Make them put their necks out there when they toss out things like "Obama's trip to India cost tax payers $2 billion." I don't care what source you got that from... if it isn't true and you report it (say it as "FACT") you shouldn't be protected from misleading the population and should possibly face some kind of punishment (fine, suspended, fired, etc.)

It would be nice if people actually took the time to read into things for themselves, but because of the current media spin... people feel they don't need to read into things, because someone else will do that for them and give them the "meat" of the issue. Again, that's why people like Hannity are being watched, because they are doing their "spin" on what they think will happen based on decisions that were made by the president/congress. And in the end, people will either eat it up and believe everything... or they will just shrug it off as being total lies.

So I agree that media does fail, but I think the reason why it does fail is that too much "opinion" is being handed out as "fact."

Edited by Zamboni_14, 07 September 2012 - 12:28 AM.

#388 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,181 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:30 AM

I care somewhat...
I work on bulk freighters that often ship the raw materials from Canadian ports to the American rust belt... American economic recovery is important to me and I. AM. CANADIAN.

Our economies are tied in so many other ways too.

We are ALL tied together in so many ways :)

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#389 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:06 AM

How the two did all depends upon where you live. There is no reason to doubt why people in Vancouver love Obama, because he would fit in with the culture there.

While Obama is a nice guy, sincere, and passionate, regular people like me cannot afford another four more years of rising taxes, increased gas prices, and rising food costs, just to fund social welfare programs. It is sad when people go to Walmart and use their food stamps, WIC, and cash benefits from their welfare, then get free Medicaid, and have their housing paid for on Section 8, while getting subsidized and in some instances free utilities, then there is the free day care, free lunches and breakfast at school for their kids, the Earned Income Tax credit that not only pays them their income tax back but another $2000 per kid per year, that they have more dispensible income at the end of the day for doing absolutely nothing. Whereas people like me and my wife who work long hours, pay all of our taxes, get none of the tax credits, and we have to pay for medical insurance through our employers, pay for daycare, and cannot get any assistance whatsover. The system has to change. There is no incentive to work if you are on the gravy train. There is a lot of people like me who cannot afford another four more years like this; not to mention the four thousand dollars less we are earning since 2008.

#390 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:11 AM

How the two did all depends upon where you live. There is no reason to doubt why people in Vancouver love Obama, because he would fit in with the culture there.

While Obama is a nice guy, sincere, and passionate, regular people like me cannot afford another four more years of rising taxes, increased gas prices, and rising food costs, just to fund social welfare programs. It is sad when people go to Walmart and use their food stamps, WIC, and cash benefits from their welfare, then get free Medicaid, and have their housing paid for on Section 8, while getting subsidized and in some instances free utilities, then there is the free day care, free lunches and breakfast at school for their kids, the Earned Income Tax credit that not only pays them their income tax back but another $2000 per kid per year, that they have more dispensible income at the end of the day for doing absolutely nothing. Whereas people like me and my wife who work long hours, pay all of our taxes, get none of the tax credits, and we have to pay for medical insurance through our employers, pay for daycare, and cannot get any assistance whatsover. The system has to change. There is no incentive to work if you are on the gravy train. There is a lot of people like me who cannot afford another four more years like this; not to mention the four thousand dollars less we are earning since 2008.

What makes you think this wound change under Romney?

- Taxes will still remain high.
- The gravy train will still be rolling.
- Republicans like Romney still highly incentivise making babies, just not dealing with the results of them.
- Gas prices will still rise.
- Food prices will still rise.
- The American dollar will still be of less value making your hour of work still less valuable than in 2008, and 2012, and your dollar will get you less and less things.

And I don't care for either Obama or Romney's "personality". It's irrelevant to the job at hand. What I do know is there needs to be a serious overhaul of things, and it requires a mindset of getting out of one's comfort zone of switching between "one or the other" and thinking it's doing something useful.

Edited by zaibatsu, 07 September 2012 - 06:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.