The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Obama vs Romney 2012 - CDC Election

Columbo

Obama vs Romney  

327 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How did Romney win? Was I watching a different debate then everyone else? I don't think Obama really won either, but neither did Romney have the upper hand.

At one point Romney said "... for the poor people, err I mean low income families". I laughed at that. He was also walking all over the PBS guy which wasn't classy at all - unlike Obama ("No, I had 5 seconds left when you interrupted me"). Sure Romney was energetic, but he seemed really untrustworthy - going up and down on his toes, blinking a lot, not to mention promising the moon if he's elected.

History favors the challenger in first debates

Rachel Maddow reviews the past seven first presidential debates and finds that in all but one the challenger was seen as outperforming the sitting president. When compared with final election outcome, however, there is no indication of challenger advantage.

http://video.msnbc.m...w-show/49296606

^ :).

Ah god, I got into a debate with a pretty far right leaning psychologist today (Tenesse Republican). This is a guy who has 12 years of post secondary education that is somehow spewing out Romney's cooked numbers. This is troubling that even the intelligent are swayed by Romney's lies. I eventually dug deeper to find he was a Bush supporter too, at that point I felt debate wasn't worth the trouble. But damn, a guy responsible for the mental well being of others picks the bully team.

Funny everyone here is bashing Romney when most political analysts say Romney did very well. They said Obama was on the defensive most of the time.

A CNN poll said 67% of those who saw the debate think Romney was the winner. Only 25% said Obama won.

But then very few people vote according to who wins a debate. Most people's minds are already made up irregardless who wins a debate.

This should tell you pretty much everything:

ObamavsRomneyElectoralMap.png

2ObamavsRomneyElectoralMap.png

And to help solidify his lead, there's this from today:

Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 114,000 Jobs In September; Jobless Rate Down To 7.8 Percent

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. unemployment rate fell to 7.8 percent last month, dropping below 8 percent for the first time in nearly four years and giving President Barack Obama a potential boost with the election a month away.

The rate declined from 8.1 percent because the number of people who said they were employed soared by 873,000 - an encouraging sign for an economy that's been struggling to create enough jobs.

The number of unemployed Americans is now 12.1 million, the fewest since January 2009.

The Labor Department said employers added 114,000 jobs in September. It also said the economy created 86,000 more jobs in July and August than the department had initially estimated.

Wages rose in September. And more people started looking for work.

It's easy enough to win a debate when you're prepared to say literally anything, no matter how dishonest it is. I think Obama was ready to attack Mitt on many of his positions, only to find that Romney had replaced them all with brand new (BS) ones overnight. Obama better be more prepared next time, Romney will literally say anything to win.

GE’s Jack Welch Knows About Cooking the Books

email_this.gifprint_page.gif

By Barry Ritholtz - October 5th, 2012, 12:15PM

jack-welch.png

Of all the people who have something to say about the BLS, none is more unintentionally ironic than former GE CEO Jack Welch.

I have long stated that Jack welch was one of the luckier, more wildly over-compensated CEOs around. He became CEO of General Electric in 1981, just before an 18 year bull market in big cap stocks began. he left in 2001, just as the market implosion was getting rolling.

GE’s revenues grew 385% under his watch, but the company’s market cap grew 4000%. How did that happen? GE increased earnings over the years, and with stunning regularity, managed a quarterly profit beat.

Indeed, it was too regular: After the 2000 crash, we learned of earnings manipulation and accounting shenanigans. The criticism was GE Capital acted as an opaque leveraged hedge fund that always be counted on to help GE beat by a penny. (GE eventually had to settle accounting fraud chargeswith the SEC).

So if anyone knows a thing or two about cooking the books, its GE’s Jack Welch. Want even more proof? Have a look at this chart of Welch’s earnings versus his successor, Jeff Immelt:

GE-earnigns.jpg

Hat tip Tom Brakke

That was a nice smooth line under Jack — the sort of line the folks who prepare China’s GDP data aspire to

I love the Romney "lied" claims on here.

I agree that it seems like Romney lied when the only thing most people have ever heard about him has come from the Obama campaign or its affiliated PACs. But just because Romney does not fit into Obama's typecast and negative ads, does not mean Romney is a liar; it is a poor argument to make.

A counter argument could be made that Obama was lying about Romney. And after Romney's showing at the debate, some people may make this assessment.

I agree that it seems like Romney lied when the only thing most people have ever heard about him has come from the Obama campaign or its affiliated PACs. But just because Romney does not fit into Obama's typecast and negative ads, does not mean Romney is a liar; it is a poor argument to make.

A counter argument could be made that Obama was lying about Romney. And after Romney's showing at the debate, some people may make this assessment.

Barack Obama's campaign rakes in $US181m ($176m) in Sept

• October 07, 2012 4:24AM965443-barack-obama.jpg

US President Barack Obama leaves after a campaign event at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia. His campaign has raised $US181 million in September. Source: AFP

US President Barack Obama has raised $US181 million ($177.53 million) in September, his campaign says, in a huge boost for his re-election bid following a limp debate performance against White House rival Mitt Romney.

The haul was the biggest monthly cash take by Mr Obama of the 2012 race, and was revealed just a day after supporters disappointed by the debate got another fillip with news that the US unemployment rate dipped below eight per cent.

It means Mr Obama will have ample money to splash on an advertising blitz in the countdown to the election, exactly a month away on November 6, and with 1.8 million donors in the month is an impressive display of grass roots muscle.

Republican nominee Mr Romney has yet to reveal his monthly fundraising figures for September, but early predictions that he would outspend Obama by a distance appear to have been unfounded.

Mr Romney, however, does have the support of an array of SuperPAC independent fundraising committees financed by rich donors and corporations, that can spend unlimited sums to attack Mr Obama and outnumber similar Democratic organisations.

Mr Obama's campaign manager, Jim Messina, alerted supporters to the fundraising coup for the re-election effort and the Democratic National Committee (DNC) in an email.

"I have some huge news, and I want you to be the first to hear about it," Mr Messina said.

"We not only surpassed 10 million donations so far in 2012 to the campaign and the Democratic Party - a historic record for grassroots politics.

"We also raised $US181 million in September from 1.8 million Americans - more than 567,000 of whom gave for the first time. That's by far our biggest month yet."

Mr Messina said the average donation was $US53 and 98 per cent of contributions amounted to $US250 or less and also boasted that the Obama political machine was in full swing ahead of the election.

The September figure was just short of the $US193 million piled up by Mr Obama and the DNC in the equivalent month of the 2008 election campaign.

He said the campaign opened its 100th field offices in both Ohio and Florida last month and last week registered 10,000 voters in Florida in a single day.

In early voting in Iowa, Messina said that 105,000 people had already cast ballots, 62 per cent of whom were Democrats.

The release of the fundraising figure came on the second successive morning of good news for the Obama campaign after the president was comprehensively outfoxed by Romney on Thursday in the first of three head-to-head debates.

On Friday, new Labour Department data showed that the unemployment rate had dropped to 7.8 per cent, the lowest level since the president walked into the Oval Office in January 2009.

Mr Obama seized on the news to rebut Romney's criticisms of his economic strategy and warned that after having come so far, America could not afford to go back to Republican economic policies that had triggered a crisis.

But in his weekly radio address on Saturday, Obama acknowledged that too many Americans were "still looking for work or struggling to pay the bills" and urged congress to act to alleviate their plight.

He said legislators needed to extend tax cuts adopted under former president George W. Bush for the overwhelming majority of working American. The tax cuts are due to expire at the end of the year.

Mr Romney, banking on a turnaround in the polls after the debate in Denver, claimed on Friday that the Mr Obama economy was not in a "real recovery".

"If not for all the people who have simply dropped out of the labour force, the real unemployment rate would be closer to 11 per cent," the Republican challenger said as he stumped for votes in the battleground state of Virginia.

Mr Romney was in another vital state Florida, practising for the next debate showdown with Mr Obama on October 16.

Mr Obama was off the trail, but he will head out on a campaign and fundraising swing through California today.

Poll watchers were meanwhile keeping an eye on new opinion surveys to gauge if Mr Romney had cut into the narrow lead held by Obama in the national race and in key battleground states.

The full impact of the debate and the jobs figures are not likely to be felt in surveys until the middle of next week, though there was signs in some early polls that Mr Romney had made headway in Virginia.

The two campaigns meanwhile took their latest hits at one another in new advertising, with the Mr Obama team accusing Mr Romney of being "dishonest" in the Denver debate on his true taxation plans.

Mr Romney's punch meanwhile featured a woman called Melanie McNamara who said she voted for Mr Obama in 2008 but was now going Republican because she believed the former Massachusetts governor was the best bet to restore prosperity.

This is what really jerks my string , the amount of money that is wasted on the election process , those families who are suffering food shortage's will take great comfort from the political advertisements that they are getting pounded with .

Archived