The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Obama vs Romney 2012 - CDC Election

Columbo

Obama vs Romney  

327 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The popular vote is irrelevant.. although it gives news organizations something to chew on if it would theoretically elect the other guy. It does highlight the fact that the Electoral College model is imperfect.

Recording the popular vote is just a byproduct of record keeping. The issue is more obvious when there are only two competitive candidates, but look at what happened in our own election. The Conservatives have a majority government without a majority of the popular vote (39.62% to be exact).

How the US Electoral College works

Reuters | Updated: November 06, 2012 14:54 IST

us-electorate-295.jpg

Image courtesy: AFP

The US Electoral College was established in the Constitution as a compromise between electing a president by a vote in Congress and by popular vote of citizens. Here are some facts about the Electoral College:

• The Electoral College, which is not a place but a process, consists of 538 electors. To win the presidency, a candidate must win at least 270 electors.

• The number of electors equals the number of lawmakers in Congress - 435 in the House of Representatives and 100 in the Senate, plus three for the District of Columbia. Each state's allotment of electors equals its number of representatives in the House plus one for each of its two senators.

• Most states have a winner-take-all system for awarding electors. The presidential candidate who wins the popular vote in the state gets all of the state's electors. Maine and Nebraska have a variation of "proportional representation" that can result in a split of their electors between the candidates.

• Critics say the Electoral College does not meet the original intent because a candidate can lose the nationwide popular vote and still win the election by winning the right combination of states. That happened most recently in the controversial election of 2000 when Democrat Al Gore got the most votes but Republican George W. Bush won the presidency. Republicans Rutherford B. Hayes in 1876 and Benjamin Harrison in 1888 also won in the Electoral College despite losing the popular vote.

• There is no constitutional requirement that electors vote according to the results of the popular vote, although some states require it.

• The electors meet in their states in December and cast their votes for president and vice president.

• If no presidential candidate reaches 270 electoral votes, the election goes to the House of Representatives, with each state having one vote.

• The House has decided two presidential elections - that of Thomas Jefferson in 1800 and John Quincy Adams in 1824.

• The Senate would elect the vice president, with each senator casting one vote. That raises the possibility of a president and vice president from different parties.

• The biggest Electoral College prizes are California, with 55; Texas, with 38; and New York and Florida, each with 29. California and New York are considered reliably Democratic, Texas reliably Republican and Florida is a battleground state that could go either way.

• Among the other important swing states this year, Ohio has 18 votes, Virginia 13, Wisconsin 10, Colorado 9, Nevada 6, Iowa 6 and New Hampshire 4.

• The system explains why candidates tend to spend a disproportionate amount of time and money on trying to secure the battleground states. It also means that what appears to be a tight race in national opinion polls may be less close when viewed state by state

This election has me confused. Why would anyone vote for a foreign born Muslim who is a communist over a Christian white guy who has made lots of money???

I left early this morning and crossed the border at the Peace Arch crossing and headed for a polling station in Bellingham.

They refused to let me vote!!!! What is it with these voter suppression laws?

Do they not know I have my rights under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms???

I even had my commemorative copies of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms in both official languages autographed by the Queen of Canada with me but they still blocked me from voting.

519516294779baa0e1ba7a144d87.jpg

charter.jpg

section-04a.jpg

Oh yeah...

sarcasm-600x500.jpg

This election has me confused. Why would anyone vote for a foreign born Muslim who is a communist over a Christian white guy who has made lots of money???

I left early this morning and crossed the border at the Peace Arch crossing and headed for a polling station in Bellingham.

They refused to let me vote!!!! What is it with these voter suppression laws?

Do they not know I have my rights under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms???

I even had my commemorative copies of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms in both official languages autographed by the Queen of Canada with me but they still blocked me from voting.

519516294779baa0e1ba7a144d87.jpg

charter.jpg

section-04a.jpg

Oh yeah...

sarcasm-600x500.jpg

I'm most curious as to what happens with the 23 senate seats up for election. I'd love to see Democrats control senate again, and apparently this starts with a Murdoc (the tool that believes his god enables rape to happen) loss.

The Democrats already control the Senate. The GOP controls the House. It is very likely the Democrats will end up with between 51-54 seats in the Senate and an outside chance at 55+.

I'm also willing to put down my prediction of 294 or 303 electoral votes for Obama depending on which way Colorado swings. Of the other swing states I like Obama for Virginia, Ohio, Iowa, NH and Romney in Florida and North Carolina. If Virginia goes for Obama I love the Democrats to repeat moving forward in 2016.

The Democrats already control the Senate. The GOP controls the House. It is very likely the Democrats will end up with between 51-54 seats in the Senate and an outside chance at 55+.

I'm also willing to put down my prediction of 294 or 303 electoral votes for Obama depending on which way Colorado swings. Of the other swing states I like Obama for Virginia, Ohio, Iowa, NH and Romney in Florida and North Carolina. If Virginia goes for Obama I love the Democrats to repeat moving forward in 2016.

Archived