The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cody Hodgson, Unforgotten Canuck

Yolo764

And obviously, Pahlsson was a rental. I never expected him to be here past the playoffs. Did you?

He would have been too expensive and he wouldn't have had any place to play, assuming that Malhotra comes back to form this upcoming season, or perhaps Lapierre steps up his game. And with the possibility of either Schroeder and/or a new player coming here (in the assumed Luongo trade) getting some time at 3C, Pahlsson was not going to be in the cards for next year.

I think Gillis didn't pay a whole lot for a guy who could have been quite valuable had the team gone deeper into the playoffs.

PS - you failed to notice the elephant dung. This saddens me as I placed it in my comments as a specific salute to the quality of posts which we have seen from you.

regards,

G.

Oldnews,you could start your campaign by getting over it,yourself -posting somewhere else-like on Sabres talk,as you suggest for others.

Check back in every once in a while to let us know how the previous Canucks players are doing.

This was a Hodgson celebration or appreciation thread and yet in a single post you offer up "swallow and regurgitate", "doomsday", "the most prematurely over -rated player in FRANCHISE HISTORY","crying","drivel","Get over it." -but it is not about "dislike" or "bashing".

You may want to check your dislike level that you state you don't have,as you will have found lots of spare time.

"Ha Ha Ha" all around,eh?

:lol:

Seriously, is this a joke? How long have you been watching hockey for?

The guy's a 22 year-old rookie, and you're scrutinizing him to this level? At the time he was traded, he had 16 goals and 33 points in 63 games; that's AHL-worthy, for you? As a 22 year-old rookie centering the 3rd line with limited minutes? How'd Kassian do while here? He was stuffing his face with nachos in the press box, that's how.

"Lucky to have gotten Kassian"...come on. You can't be serious. If that's the case, then why was it reported that a bunch of GMs around the league were shocked when the deal went down, in that they couldn't believe that Cody was actually made available?

You guys can try and rationalize this trade all that you want, and continue to try and convince yourselves that Cody sucks, but if there's one thing that I can predict with confidence, it's that Cody Hodgson should go on to have a much better NHL career than Zack Kassian. And we'll need to just sit back and watch it go down, just like we did with Cam Neely.

Why is this topic still on the main page? Hello! CH plays for the Buffalo Sabres!!!

The Nuck fans that are feeling rejected by Cody need to either get some counseling or just move on. You now have ZK to titillate over. Try not to confuse the two.

Yes I know it is a word but it is still poor English.

And for the record, you are defending a guy who made a tribute video to a player, and then spelled that players name wrong in the video. And not just a little wrong....really wrong. Chody Hodgeson??? Come on!

Well chum, I'm afraid I have to side with the school of thought which suggests that the holes in Hodgson's game were becoming more visible with each game he played. True, he had/has potential, and that offensive potential was the carrot which drew Buffalo in to make the trade. I'm not so sure the Canucks could have picked up even Kassian if they had kept Hodgson for the rest of the season and into the playoffs. Sure, maybe Hodgson would have shone, but his play in the past month did not support that belief.

Riffraff,if it really upsets you then you could just skip this particular thread or privately lobby the mods to drop it.

You have asked the mods to drop it publicly here but this is still an active thread.

You have every right to speculate on any thread you desire but picking and choosing to have your choice of threads active or eliminated means you ultimately limit means of expression for all.

I am not a moderator but I liked the op`s creativity in designing and posting visual appreciation for a former Canuck.

Gump ,every team is hopeful that a prospect can step up and take on a larger role sooner than anticipated.

Gillis stated Kassian was ``NHL ready now`` so I don`t think this fan base thought that meant the fourth line or the pressbox.

To state Kassian can compete for a top six role while not even playing in the most important game of the year (game 5 vs L.A.) is extending the same dialogue that Gillis used when acquiring Kass.

He was not ready for a top nine role in Buffalo.Let`s hope he can just make this team and keep improving his game.

Now with the Canucks, Kassian is being groomed for a top-6 role and his training over this off-season reflects his dedication to making this team and his future role.`Gump

Seriously, you have to actually watch hockey in order to post here? Gee, I've just been winging it all this time. From reading your posts I assumed that not having any kind of understanding of the game was the norm.

My bad.

As I pointed out in my post (which you quoted, so I assume you read read it), Hodgson was under-performing at the time of the trade (2g 1a in the previous month). My understanding is that that's not that great. And that's something which I was indicated was AHL worthy.

Yeah, Hodgson had 3rd line minutes, because he wasn't good enough to play higher. I've heard there's more to this game than just scoring points (although scoring apparently does help you win games). His defensive play was really not very good, his physical game was non-existant, and his face-offs were very sub-par, along with his low-end of average skating ability. This, along with his scoring ability drying up for about a month, made him AHL worthy.

It also meant he had to be moved, sooner rther than later, because he was driving his own value down.

Yeah, I get your point. Having Hodgson here, and under-performing would have been so much more valuable to the team, especially with an eye to an off-season trade, where Hodgson's under-performance would have been visible on a much larger stage.

I guess they were shocked because Gillis didn't tell them that he was looking to trade Hodgson. I've heard rumours that some GM's don't keep all of the other GM's informed as to everything they are going to do.

Gillis had picked which team(s) with which he wanted to deal, and what he wanted to get out of them. When he got a yes, the deal was done. Why would Gillis bother announcing to 25+ other teams that he was dealing Hodgson if he didn't want anything from them?

Further to the above point, about Hodgson driving his own price down, if Gillis had announced that he wanted to deal Hodgson it could have had a negative impact for the Canucks. Given enough time (as in days), various sports pundits would have weighed in on the value of Hodgson, and while they would very likely have commented on his offensive potential, they would have also noted the various negatives in his game, which might have helped sway the opinion of a rival GM, and resulted in a return of something less than Kassian.

Assuming the Canucks didn't trade Hodgson when they did, and he continued to play poorly for the remainder of the season (which he did) and then into the playoffs, would they have been able to count on getting a return as good as Kassian? I don't believe they could.

Will Hodgson have a much better NHL career than Kassian? Maybe. I see you discovered the BOLD and underline buttons. Those are fun to play with, aren't they?

As with most "Cody-ites" out there, unless what is written is 100% pro-Hodgson then you are a hater. I see any sort of negative comments about Hodgson as stating the obvious.

Hodgson is not a fast skater, but he could be a better skater. He is not good in the face-off circle, although there's always the chance that he could improve. He is not a physical player, but he could be better with a bit more weight and a bit more confidence. He is not a reliable defensive player, although one could always hope that he will improve. The response of, "He scored 16 goals in 63 games" is all well and good, but for me the lustre of that statement fades if the guy is on the ice for about as many goals as he has points... or would you blame this on his linemates (normally Higgins and Hansen more often than not)?

By "much better NHL career" do you mean that Hodgson will score more points than Kassian? All things being equal, I don't see why he wouldn't. I don't see this as being any great revelation. Hodgson has the potential to score a lot of points, assuming he gets the right line mates and his coach plays him in situations where he can rely on his offensive abilities and not the other aspects of his game where he is lacking (yes, cue the "AV didn't use Cody right" comments). If Hodgson didn't out-point Kassian I'd extremely surprised, albeit pleasantly so.

However, who has (or had) the potential to be more valuable to the Canucks, Kassian or Hodgson? The answer is Kassian.

Kassian is bigger, stronger, a better skater, and plays a much more physical game (something which the team was lacking even more than any offensive which Hodgson might have been able to supply). He can generate space for the skilled players. He can wear down the opposing players. He's faster on the back-check.

Kassian is not without scoring potential, an inconvenient truth with is usually over-looked by his critics. He can be a 20+ goals and over 50 points type of guy in the NHL. Heck, he might even go higher than those numbers with the right linemates.

Kassian has already shown a commitment to improving himself and making this team. I won't bother with the videos showing him during a work-out. I'm reasonably certain that it's common knowledge that Kassian has apparently lost body fat weight and is now replacing it with muscle weight.

I believe he's a smart, very coachable player, and he has the potential to be a top-6 guy on this team for over a decade. I'm looking forward to seeing him play.

regards,

G.

However, who has (or had) the potential to be more valuable to the Canucks, Kassian or Hodgson? The answer is Kassian.

Will Hodgson have a much better NHL career than Kassian? Maybe.

Kassian has already shown a commitment to improving himself and making this team.

Hodgson .....continued to play poorly for the remainder of the season and then into the playoffs.

As with most "Cody-ites" out there, unless what is written is 100% pro-Hodgson then you are a hater. Gump

Gump,how about stop the criticism and comparions and `hatred`nonsense talk ,already.The young men are two different players playing entirely different styles of hockey.

I could argue every one of your points by replacing Kassian`s name with Hodgson`s and vice-versa.

I went to the draft where we picked grabner. I kind of miss him too. But the world isn't made of ifs and buts. It's written by the victors. And for me, I'd write "if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. "

I reall wish the little lawyer would just sort this crap out and give us a reason to talk about

Archived