The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cody Hodgson, Unforgotten Canuck

Yolo764

Yeah, Hodgson had 3rd line minutes, because he wasn't good enough to play higher. I've heard there's more to this game than just scoring points (although scoring apparently does help you win games). His defensive play was really not very good, his physical game was non-existant, and his face-offs were very sub-par, along with his low-end of average skating ability. This, along with his scoring ability drying up for about a month, made him AHL worthy.

Guest Gumballthechewy

As soon as I saw the title I thought to myself; this is going to be seven pages of Hodgson fanboys and haters arguing back an forth...

And guess what? I was right!

Sedin's defensive play aren't very good, they have zero physical game, average at face-offs, average skating ability. Same could be said about a lot of other guys, too. Pat Kane. Steve Stamkos. Jeff Skinner.

It's very easy to nit-pick anybody's game, and find holes in it. Guys like Eric Lindros don't come along very often.

Even though he was 3rd on our team in goals, he should've been in the AHL. OK.

Oh, I almost forgot that those goals were due to Mike Gillis manipulating his situational play. Carry-on.

Cody had one goal

Wow, so he got hit against Ottawa, what's your point? Kesler got KO'd by Ladd, and he moved on just fine. Daniel got KO'd by Keith, he looked fine in the playoffs. I'm sure that wasn't the first time that someone caught Cody Hodgson with his head down, in all of his years of hockey.

Yes, he would've been just fine against Boston. It actually must've been hurting him to watch the team struggle to score so bad, so obviously, while guys like Tanner Glass and Victor Oreskovich are still actually dressing for games.

Cody had one point in 12 games played and a -4 in the 2011 playoffs, and you're saying he should have been playing in the SCF? You think he should have played against boston? And where? Fourth line center?

Please, lets stay on this line of thought. Don't jump over to something else in an attempt to run away from the truth.

He averaged 6:45 of ice-time in those 12 games! And Oreskovich, BTW, had played in 19 games, was a -6, and didn't have a single point. Oh, but he's such an intimidator, right? Dream on.

And yes, sure, it would've been more value-adding to have Cody Hodgson in the lineup versus a guy like Victor Oreskovich. One guy has natural offensive gifts, one guy doesn't. We needed offense a heck of a lot more than we needed another pseudo-tough guy scrub. As for where, give him the odd shift on the 4th line, and play him on the PP. Especially knowing how good he went on to play for us the next season, and hindsight being 20/20, you're saying that it was a good idea having Victor Oreskovich in the lineup as opposed to Cody Hodgson?

Oh, so you don't buy the theory that Hodgson only scored goals because of ice-time manipulation by Gillis & Vigneault? Why not? :rolleyes:

Deep down, I think everyone here wishes that we still had Cody. He's got "STAR" written all over him. He's only going to get better, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him have 55 - 60 points this season. Kassian is an intriguing talent, but he's a total question mark. We've effectively traded a guy with a very, very high probability of being a top-six mainstay for the next 10 years, for a guy who maxes out at that level, and who could well be the next Bernier or the next Pyatt; two other "power forwards" sold to us by the Sabres.

The only line that had any room for him was the fourth, and that line wasn't a line put out there to score goals.

I see you've made up your mind and refuse to listen to logic, common sense, or any of the many forum members that have tried to get you to see why things went down the way they did. For you to say that a -4 one dimensional rookie who had done nothing through three series, even after starting on the third line in an offensive role, is completely ridiculous. Bash glass and oreskovich all you want but at least they did what they were put out there to do, hit.

I'm sorry he was traded. He was one of my favorites too...but life goes on. Buy the center ice package and watch the sabres games this or next year. There are ways for you to cope with the loss.

Bottom line in the big picture, if Cody wanted to accept what was given to him and work with that, he would still be on the team. He wanted out, and got his wish.

Get over it.

I see you've made up your mind and refuse to listen to logic, common sense, or any of the many forum members that have tried to get you to see why things went down the way they did. For you to say that a -4 one dimensional rookie who had done nothing through three series, even after starting on the third line in an offensive role, is completely ridiculous. Bash glass and oreskovich all you want but at least they did what they were put out there to do, hit.

I seriously hope you aren't content with their performance in the playoffs. You break Cody's balls for being one dimensional and these guys provided zero offence whatsoever. On top of that, they were also defensive liabilities which is fairly sad considering they played less than 8 minutes a game. You need a lot more from your fourth line than that. And we all know Victor isn't a tough guy. Well, he certainly doesn't show it very often. A perfect example of this is when Marchand clotheslined Ehrhoff then submarined Daniel and when McQuaid when after Ehrhoff to pound his face in, Oreskovich grabbed Kelly who is 30lbs less than him and declared a hugging war.

Our fourth line sucked. I believe Lappy played there at times and he was the only one that played up to par.

Funny how the "logic" and "common sense" cards get thrown to the guy who's NOT in favor of us trading the proven for the unproven. And I don't see the failed logic in suggesting to put a highly-touted rookie with offensive gifts on the ice in the place of a guy with "size" that could barely keep his spot in the AHL this year, Oreskovich.

"One-dimensional rookie", that is gold, I love it.

Archived