The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cody Hodgson, Unforgotten Canuck

Yolo764

Everyone "competes" for ice-time - very few players start an ice-time controversy. You can pretend that a player can be separated from what their agent does, but that is forgetting that their agent represents them. How convenient to then turn around and pretend that he was a victim in the whole process. Nonsense.

Ok,I waited an hour so I will post up the quotes:

At his end of the year press conference, Mike Gillis took a few parting shots at Cody Hodgson, saying:

"I spent more time on Cody's issues than every other player combined on our team the last three years."

So Gary Roberts..a friend and trainer of Hodgson decided to step up to the plate so to speak, and give a rebuttal.

"I listened to Mike Gillis the other day," Roberts said by phone over the weekend, "and my impression was, 'Are you kidding me?'

"If anybody knew this kid, this young man, to know what he went through mentally and physically for two summers trying to find out what the heck was wrong with him -- of course they dealt with his issues more than anybody else in the organization because he was injured and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with him.

"It almost was like they thought he didn't want to work. Well, I can tell you that this kid out of all the kids that I train, he's up there in the [steven] Stamkos group as far as commitment and determination. What I tell him, he does, so I know he's coachable and I love working with him."

"I talked to Cody after this came out with Gillis," Roberts said. "I know he's on vacation, and I said, 'Hey, I know you went through a lot of stress. How are you feeling about some of those comments?' He said, 'Gary, I've dealt with a lot of stuff there in the last three years, and I'm just going to take the high road.'

"For me, I'd like to be the guy that looks at Mike Gillis and says, 'You're a moron.' It doesn't really do anybody any good other than the fact that Mike Gillis looks like, as they say on TSN, a dud."

http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2012/4/30/2989545/gary-roberts-fights-back-for-hodgson' rel="external nofollow">

You obviously missed a great deal of the context leading up to the trade. There are plenty of threads you can read to fill yourself in. You may want to start with the ice-time controversy, or his agent's letter in response to PITB blog.

Pahlsson played well here - people who claim otherwise weren't paying much attention - the third line was the best line in his time here.

Give "Shredder" a chance.

I'd take my chances with Gaunce's future over Hodgson's any day. Hodgson is about as proven as any other guy who has scored 40 points in his NHL career... as proven as his upside is, equally proven is his inability to play in his own end.

Seems like he was just being careful not to put any backfire on Gillis, whatever the reasons, Cody kept it in house.

Pahlsson was garbage in the playoffs, the plan sounded right but yet again we lacked scoring. He could have been acquired regardless of trading Cody or not if they really felt he was a liability. So what if he's sub par defensively, plenty of great players are, not like a rookie can improve on something right?

Lacked grit?? i don't recall him taking repeated punches from anyone half his size like others on this team, Kassian didn't exactly make us bad to the bone in Keith's nor LA's eyes. Cody is a skilled player, it's his job to score and make plays, something he was damn good at doing. The lack of respect for veterans?? I haven't heard anything from his mouth nor his teammates to suggest that, all just Gillis' implying it. Shredder nor any of our other center prospects are on an NHL level like Cody, he is far more proven than any of them and Kassian combined.

I'm not arguing the trade, i was pretty stoked when it happened. It's just stupid to see everyone turn on a promising rookie because our Manager didn't like him and slandered his name. All because he couldn't handle the scrutiny of making a dumb trade after telling us he is capable of making tough calls. What a joke.

"However, nobody, especially not a rookie can DEMAND more time on the ice." Bodee

Not sure where you are picking this out of thin air from.

Would you please support your statement with facts-as in DEMANDING ice time?

Thanks.

When back in Canada I listen to the Team every day and NW SportsTalk at night.

When Cody was traded Marc Crawford who did or does a regular gig on the Team was asked about the scenario where Cody or his 'camp' asked for more ice time.

Crawford said it was completely normal and the Sedins would enquire over their ice time regularly when he was the coach here.

I looked it up on the web to have some support of this conversation Crawford spoke about on the Hodgson 'ice time issue':

March 06,2012

Marc Crawford was on the TEAM 1040 recently and he mentioned that the Sedins and their agent had multiple meetings about ice-time during their rookie season.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2012/03/06/on-cory-schneiders-low-maintenance-relationship-with-the-canucks/

How do Canucks fans turn a regular hockey player request into 'Cody Hodgson DEMANDS' ?

"However, nobody, especially not a rookie can DEMAND more time on the ice." Bodee

Not sure where you are picking this out of thin air from.

Would you please support your statement with facts-as in DEMANDING ice time?

Thanks.

Bodee,every player wants more ice time.That is the nature of competition and being at your best,giving your all.

I believe your quote was: ".......nobody, especially not a rookie can DEMAND more time on the ice."

His agent has said they never asked for a trade and a rookie under contract can demand nothing and expect to play out his contract.

That applies to near every player on any team.

Gillis.org wanted Kassian and they dumped Cody for him is the way I see it.The rest was butt covering.

Bodee,every player wants more ice time.That is the nature of competition and being at your best,giving your all.

I believe your quote was: ".......nobody, especially not a rookie can DEMAND more time on the ice."

His agent has said they never asked for a trade and a rookie under contract can demand nothing and expect to play out his contract.

That applies to near every player on any team.

Gillis.org wanted Kassian and they dumped Cody for him is the way I see it.The rest was butt covering.

Ok,I waited an hour so I will post up the quotes:

At his end of the year press conference, Mike Gillis took a few parting shots at Cody Hodgson, saying:

"I spent more time on Cody's issues than every other player combined on our team the last three years."

So Gary Roberts..a friend and trainer of Hodgson decided to step up to the plate so to speak, and give a rebuttal.

"I listened to Mike Gillis the other day," Roberts said by phone over the weekend, "and my impression was, 'Are you kidding me?'

"If anybody knew this kid, this young man, to know what he went through mentally and physically for two summers trying to find out what the heck was wrong with him -- of course they dealt with his issues more than anybody else in the organization because he was injured and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with him.

"It almost was like they thought he didn't want to work. Well, I can tell you that this kid out of all the kids that I train, he's up there in the [steven] Stamkos group as far as commitment and determination. What I tell him, he does, so I know he's coachable and I love working with him."

"I talked to Cody after this came out with Gillis," Roberts said. "I know he's on vacation, and I said, 'Hey, I know you went through a lot of stress. How are you feeling about some of those comments?' He said, 'Gary, I've dealt with a lot of stuff there in the last three years, and I'm just going to take the high road.'

"For me, I'd like to be the guy that looks at Mike Gillis and says, 'You're a moron.' It doesn't really do anybody any good other than the fact that Mike Gillis looks like, as they say on TSN, a dud."

http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2012/4/30/2989545/gary-roberts-fights-back-for-hodgson' rel="external nofollow">

Archived